1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 02:321 edit
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    Shaq would be a sure thing if he could shoot free throws. There are very few who can match Shaq in the low post. Kareem with the sky hook could do very well against Shaq offensively, but Shaq would eat him alive at the other end.

If you are gonna put Lebron in, regardless of where you live, you are gonna have to put Kobe in. And I hate the selfish punk. (Kobe, not Lebron)
    I hate Kobe too, but you gotta give him his props. That boy can play!

Is Shaq the biggest effective center ever?
  2. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 09:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

NO Wilt Chamberlain was the most effective center ever check his stats Shaq is nowhere close to Wilt..
  3. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 14:41
    Originally posted by richfeet
    NO Wilt Chamberlain was the most effective center ever check his stats Shaq is nowhere close to Wilt..
    Agreed...Wilt was as strong, or stronger, than Shaq, was a far better leaper, and was much more schooled in the fundamentals.

In addition, Chamberlain's stamina is unmatched by any player in NBA history...no one is even close... Wilt averaged 45.6 min/game over his career, and retired shortly before his 37th birthday (born in 1936, retired in 1973)... Shaq's career HIGH in min/game is exactly 40, which would be a career low for Wilt, by far.

Wilt, of course, is the only player to average MORE than 48 min/game during a season... he was ejected with 8 min to go in one game during the 61-62 season, but played every minute of every other one of the 79 other games, including all overtime minutes. If Shaq plays 40 min, announcers are all over themselves about what an iron-man job he's doing... that's for missing 8 minutes in ONE GAME...Wilt only missed 8 minutes of an entire SEASON.
  4. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 14:42
    As a point of reference, here are the original "NBA 50", chosen in 1996:

Abdul-Jabbar, Archibald, Arizin, Barkley, Barry, Baylor, Bing, Bird, Chamberlain, Cousy, Cowens, Cunningham, DeBusschere, Drexler, Erving, Ewing, Frazier, Gervin, Greer, Havlicek, Hayes, Johnson, Jones (Sam), Jordan, Lucas, Malone (Karl), Malone (Moses), Maravich, McHale, Mikan, Monroe, Olajuwon, O'Neal, Parish, Pettit, Pippen, Reed, Robertson, Robinson, Russell, Schayes (Dolph), Sharman, Stockton, Thomas, Thurmond, Unseld, Walton, West, Wilkens, Worthy

In 2004, Elliot Kalb published a book called "Who's Better, Who's Best in Basketball?". While I can't endorse all of his selections, he attempted to 'revise' the top 50 list, to include a few more of today's players. It's a fun read, and he avoids the knee-jerk reaction of placing Jordan at the top of the list. This is how he ranked the top 50 players, in order:

O'Neal, Chamberlain, Jordan, Russell, Abdul-Jabbar, Bird, Johnson, Robertson, Duncan, Cousy, Pettit, West, Baylor, Malone (Moses), Erving, Olajuwon, Malone (Karl), Bryant, Mikan, Robinson, Barkley, Barry, Schayes, Havlicek, Thomas, Gervin, Stockton, Kidd, Pippen, Rodman, Frazier, Cowens, Iverson, McHale, Hayes, Payton, Walton, Ewing, Reed, Garnett, McGrady, Jones (Sam), Archibald, McAdoo, Cunningham, Monroe, Maravich, Miller, Wilkins, Drexler

His reason for placing Shaq # 1 (which I don't necessarily agree with) is that he claims that there has never been a time in NBA history during which the #1 player (Shaq) is THIS much better and more dominant that the #2 player (Tim Duncan).

For reference in comparing the lists, these players were original top 50, but were eliminated in Kalb's book:

Arizin
    Bing
    DeBusschere
    Greer
    Lucas,Jerry
    Parish
    Sharman
    Thurmond
    Unseld
    Wilkens,Lenny
    Worthy

These players were in Kalb's top 50, but not in the original 50:

Bryant
    Duncan
    Garnett
    Iverson
    Kidd
    McAdoo
    McGrady
    Miller, Reggie
    Payton
    Rodman
    Wilkins, Dominique

The following players are on both lists:

Abdul-Jabbar
    Archibald
    Barkley
    Barry
    Baylor
    Bird
    Chamberlain
    Cousy
    Cowens
    Cunningham
    Drexler
    Erving
    Ewing
    Frazier
    Gervin
    Havlicek
    Hayes
    Johnson
    Jones, Sam
    Jordan
    Malone, Karl
    Malone, Moses
    Maravich
    McHale
    Mikan
    Monroe
    O'Neal
    Olajuwon
    Pettit
    Pippen
    Reed
    Robertson
    Robinson, David
    Russell
    Schayes (Dolph)
    Stockton
    Thomas, Zeke
    Walton
    West

According to Kalb, there are 8 players who have some type of a legitimate argument to be called "the best player ever". They are:

1) Shaq
    2) Wilt
    3) Jordan
    4) Russell
    5) Abdul-Jabbar
    6) Bird
    7) Magic
    8) Oscar

Tim Duncan is ranked 9th all time, but can not be included in this "best ever" group.

Even though no one will agree with all of his picks, it is a fun read. Lots of great trivia (Bill Russell was 10-0 in game sevens, etc)...
  5. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 15:02
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    As a point of reference, here are the original "NBA 50", chosen in 1996:

Abdul-Jabbar, Archibald, Arizin, Barkley, Barry, Baylor, Bing, Bird, Chamberlain, Cousy, Cowens, Cunningham, DeBusschere, Drexler, Erving, Ewing, Frazier, Gervin, Greer, Havlicek, Hayes, Johnson, Jones (Sam), Jordan, Lucas, Malone (Karl), Malone (Moses), Maravich, McHale, Mikan, Mon ...[text shortened]... n read. Lots of great trivia (Bill Russell was 10-0 in game sevens, etc)...
    great read Bloop
  6. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 17:59
    Wilt also played in an era when there where few players over 6' 9" while in Shaq's era there are guards that are 6' 9" and the 7' center is the norm.

Of course Wilt's number are better.

If you watch film of Wilt playing it is like he is playing with and against junior high kids.
  7. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 18:07
    Wilt also played in an era when there where few players over 6' 9" while in Shaq's era there are guards that are 6' 9" and the 7' center is the norm.

If you watch film of Wilt playing it is like he is playing with and against junior high kids.
    If Wilt and Shag meet in a 1 on 1 game and both are in the prime of their careers my money is on WILT .....
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 19:171 edit

I said biggest, not best!

According to Wiki, they are the same height and Shaq has 50 lbs on Wilt.
  9. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 19:22
    I said biggest, not best!

According to Wiki, they are the same height and Shaq has 50 lbs on Wilt.
    1) Shaq
    2) Wilt
    3) Jordan
    4) Russell
    5) Abdul-Jabbar
    6) Bird
    7) Magic
    8) Oscar

have to agree with this list. but not the order of it. I would put Shaq near the bottom.
  10. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 04:204 edits

Not only are Bill Russell, Willis Reed, Nate Thurmond etc better than any center in the NBA today (except Shaq), but Wilt had to go against these guys many more times/season because there were so many fewer teams back then.

Nate Archibald was called "Tiny" and he was 6'1"... there were no players under 6 ft back then, now there are a number of them.

The night Wilt scored 100 pts, the Knicks center was 6'11"...a whopping two inches shorter than Wilt... gee, think Yao could ever score 100 against someone who was 'only' 6'11"?

Wilt and Russell played against each other 142 times in 10 years, including playoffs... that's 14 x per year... Multiply that by Willis Reed, Nate Thurmond, Bob Lanier, Dave Cowens, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, etc...

The centers in the NBA are a total joke today... Shaq is the ONLY center in the NBA who will make the Hall of Fame...Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett will also, but they also play some forward. (Ben Wallace has no shot at the Hall, based on his career so far, and he was 2nd team all NBA last season...shows what a joke today's centers are).

Bet Wilt would have loved to go against Zdrunis Ilgauskas 14x/year instead of Russell...that would have made his job a hell of a lot eaiser...

The 7 ft centers today totally suck.

Funny you should mention jr. high and high school kids...Wilt never played against high school kids in the NBA, a luxury Shaq has enjoyed quite a bit.
  11. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 04:25
    Originally posted by mochiron
    1) Shaq
    2) Wilt
    3) Jordan
    4) Russell
    5) Abdul-Jabbar
    6) Bird
    7) Magic
    8) Oscar

have to agree with this list. but not the order of it. I would put Shaq near the bottom.
    Yeah, I would too... the book was published in 2004, not long after Shaq led the Lakers to three straight titles, so some of it was no doubt judgement in the heat of the moment...

But yeah, I would have put Shaq at the bottom of those 8, not at the top.
  12. Jerusalem
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 08:26
    Wilt Chamberlain Oscar Robinson Bill Russell Jabbar Julius Erving Walt Frazier Earl Monroe Bill Walton Jerry West Pete Maravich Larry Bird Earvin Johnson Michael Jordan James Worthy Lebron James
    Reggie Miller! !
  13. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 11:45
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Not only are Bill Russell, Willis Reed, Nate Thurmond etc better than any center in the NBA today (except Shaq), but Wilt had to go against these guys many more times/season because there were so many fewer teams back then.

Nate Archibald was called "Tiny" and he was 6'1"... there were no players under 6 ft back then, now there are a number of them.
    ...[text shortened]... r played against high school kids in the NBA, a luxury Shaq has enjoyed quite a bit.
    Hey i live in CLEVELAND
  14. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 16:05
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Nice list. Oscar Robertson

Some of the best names you left off:

Elgin Baylor, Bob Cousy, George Mikan, Rick Barry, Havilcek,
    My grandpa was close friends with George Mikan back in high school! But what about Malone or Magic Johnson? Not in there anywhere! What about Jerry West also? And even Larry Bird!
  15. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 16:06
    If Wilt and Shag meet in a 1 on 1 game and both are in the prime of their careers my money is on WILT .....
    I would agree because Wilt could shoot from the outside and inside, Shaq can't shoot from the outside!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree