1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    31 Oct '07 16:591 edit
    I vote for the 1912 world champs. Walter Johnson called 34 game winner Smokey Joe Wood the greatest pitcher he ever saw, (before Smokey got drunk and fell off a street car ending his carreer.)
    Tris speaker in center!
    Duffy Lewis.
    Heinie Wagner
    Harry Hooper
    A young Eddie Cicotte


    Although, I can make an argument for the 1903 team led by Hall-of-Famers Cy Young & Jimmy Collins. They won the first ever World Series, even if they called themselves the Boston Americans back then.

    1917 Team had Babe Ruth anchoring one of the best rotations in history and you have to talk about them too. (Of course, Harry Frazee would shortly sell Ruth to the Yanks in order to finance production of the highly successful show "No-No Nanette" )

    1917 Red Sox rotation:

    Ruth
    Dutch Leonard
    Carl Mays
    Ernie Shore
    Rube Foster


    Which team do you think was best?
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    31 Oct '07 17:59
    Only you would speak about a team from 1912 as if you just watched them yesterday.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    31 Oct '07 19:10
    Originally posted by Red Night
    1917 Team had Babe Ruth anchoring one of the best rotations in history and you have to talk about them too. (Of course, Harry Frazee would shortly sell Ruth to the Yanks in order to finance production of the highly successful show "No-No Nanette" )
    A myth. The musical No, No, Nanette opened on Broadway in 1925.. Frazee sold Ruth to the Yankees in 1919. He may have used the cash to finance a show, but it was some other show.
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    31 Oct '07 19:16
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    A myth. The musical No, No, Nanette opened on Broadway in 1925.. Frazee sold Ruth to the Yankees in 1919. He may have used the cash to finance a show, but it was some other show.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Frazee was obsessed with making it in the "Big Apple" and he certainly used some of his Ruth money to finance his entertainment ventures there.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    31 Oct '07 19:22
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Only you would speak about a team from 1912 as if you just watched them yesterday.
    That was a great team. Beat the Giants in the World Series 4-3 with one tie. Smokey Joe Wood won THREE games and beat the immortal Matthewson in the Series clincher.

    Fred Snodgrass' error and Speaker's clutch single won the game and the Title in what was dubbed the greatest series ever at the time.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    31 Oct '07 19:34
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Only you would speak about a team from 1912 as if you just watched them yesterday.
    Quality!

    Now if this was No.1... I'd be wondering if he did watch them, and did it in fact 'seem' like yesterday.

    P-
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    31 Oct '07 19:41
    We could talk about a team I actually saw...the 1975 Sox.

    That's another good team. Lost to the Reds, who might have been the best National League team EVER.

    Yaz, Pudge, Freddy Lynn, Jim Rice, Cecil cooper, Rico, Dewey, and the Rooster.

    A little short of pitching after Tiant and the Spaceman, but still a very good team. Might have won if Rice had played and they had used the DH.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    31 Oct '07 19:51
    Originally posted by Red Night
    We could talk about a team I actually saw...the 1975 Sox.

    That's another good team. Lost to the Reds, who might have been the best National League team EVER.

    Yaz, Pudge, Freddy Lynn, Jim Rice, Cecil cooper, Rico, Dewey, and the Rooster.

    A little short of pitching after Tiant and the Spaceman, but still a very good team. Might have won if Rice had played and they had used the DH.
    Why were they not using the DH after 72?

    P-
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    14 Aug '04
    Moves
    23763
    31 Oct '07 20:25
    They used to use the Dh in the world series every other year. One year Nl rules, One year AL rules.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    31 Oct '07 20:42
    Originally posted by jofaz
    They used to use the Dh in the world series every other year. One year Nl rules, One year AL rules.
    Ah!

    P-
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    31 Oct '07 22:39
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why were they not using the DH after 72?

    P-
    They did not use the DH in the World Series until 1976.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    01 Nov '07 02:35
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    That bit of wisdom could be inscribed on Abner Doubleday's tombstone.
  13. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    01 Nov '07 02:47
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    That bit of wisdom could be inscribed on Abner Doubleday's tombstone.
    Did he claim to have invented baseball or did Spalding make the claim on his behalf?
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    01 Nov '07 11:41
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Did he claim to have invented baseball or did Spalding make the claim on his behalf?
    Apparently it was a "good story" cooked up by Spalding and the Mills Commision. Abner was long gone when he was anointed as the inventor.
  15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    01 Nov '07 13:57
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Apparently it was a "good story" cooked up by Spalding and the Mills Commision. Abner was long gone when he was anointed as the inventor.
    That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
Back to Top