1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 03:268 edits
    Finally, KGJ has been traded away from the Cincinnati Reds. He is perhaps one of the most controversial figures in Cincinnati Reds history. He came into Cincinnati a larger than life superstar, however, that all seemed to end when he decided to put on a Reds uniform. Because of injury and aging etc. he never lived up to his superstar status even though he was payed like one. Many fans in Cincinnati hated the man because he never produced while at the same time draining the team of money that could have been used on others to help the team contend. He was also critisized for such things as not running out ground balls or hustling to track down fly balls in the outfield. However, others loved him and defended him by saying how fans should respect his hall of fame numbers that he achieved before coming to Cincinnati. In addition, Reds fans should simply be happy that he even decided to put on a Reds uniform and feel honered that he was there at all.

Perhaps another reason fans did not like KGJ was because he was a hard man to like at times. For example, he refused to sign autographs and was a highly private individual. Many expected him to be a leader with his teamates but it simply never materialized. Also he did not seem to have a very thick skin at times as he often yelled back obscenities at fans who were yelling at him. Perhaps the lowest moment was a few years back when KGJ was rounding second base and came up limp and inexpicably, fans began to clap and cheer. Perhaps it was because at the time they seemed to play better without him than with him or perhaps it was just because they did not like him or a combination thereof? However, about a week ago Junior dropped a fly ball that everyone agrees he should have gotten to had he made the effort. The stadium errupted in boos as the announcer during the game agreed that the fans had every right to do so. Then later that game KGJ hit a home run and as he began to enter the duggout the cameras zoomed in on him yelling obscenties to the fans. Then in the midst of this he stopped and looked up at the announcers booth and made a throat slashing gesture towards them. Perhaps this gave management enough incentive to trade him ASAP.

I think perhaps the KGJ trade was perhaps the most tragic I have ever seen in baseball history. Here you had a city eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Willie Mays type player that never materialized and a Wille Mays like player wanting to win a World Series in the city he was raised in and who's father won a World Championship playing for. In fact, KGJ took a pay cut just to be able to come to a small market team like the Reds. Unfortunatly, neither party achieved their goals as both seemed to be left dissillusioned. The Reds never built a team around him that could win a World Series and KGJ never had a hall of fame year that came close to those in Seattle.
  2. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 03:54
    eh, griffey was useful 10 years ago, but he doesn't bring much to the sox now except a veteran presence.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 04:37
    Originally posted by runninfiend
    eh, griffey was useful 10 years ago, but he doesn't bring much to the sox now except a veteran presence.
    I am just glad someone took him. I did not think anyone really wanted him. With his no trade clause I thought maybe he would be there till he was 80. 😛

As for the White Sox, what were they thinking!!! I give him a couple of more years and he will be out of baseball entirely.
  4. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 05:231 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I am just glad someone took him. I did not think anyone really wanted him. With his no trade clause I thought maybe he would be there till he was 80. 😛

As for the White Sox, what were they thinking!!! I give him a couple of more years and he will be out of baseball entirely.
    He'll probably do well as a DH (I would think that's where he'd be. Thome is probably in better shape to play a position). Less chance of injury, so he might be able to add too his numbers.
  5. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 09:19
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    He'll probably do well as a DH (I would think that's where he'd be. Thome is probably in better shape to play a position). Less chance of injury, so he might be able to add too his numbers.
    Which of course, begs the question,

who cares?
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 12:04
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    I believe Griffey will play the OF for the Sox. While healthy, he is still a great OF presence. I am not sure he can handle the daily gring of CF anymore, but I do believe that is where he will recieve the bulk of his playing time. He got screwed by ever going to Cincy because they perceived him as a messiah and he is just not the guy who can strap a club on his back and carry them. And, he did take less money to go play for them than he could have gotten elsewhere.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 14:46
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Which of course, begs the question,

who cares?
    Well if he goes to a DH position perhaps he can extend his career and break Bonds home run record. Of course, I don't think him capable but who is to say?

One thing I will say about KGJ, it does not appear that he ever was juiced, therefore, if you take his numbers and compare it to those of old it is that much more impressive.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 15:12

The White Sox are thinking that an extra power hitting bat might push them to another World Championship. Griffey can still hit and the WS might be right though the competition in the AL is brutal.
  9. Standard memberskryking
    Seeking the Present
    Plainfield, IL
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 20:43
    the Cell is a homer friendly park so his power might work out well here. I think he's going to get put in center so that swisher can go to first and platoon Konerko and Thome as DH's...

Skryking
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 22:54
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The White Sox are thinking that an extra power hitting bat might push them to another World Championship. Griffey can still hit and the WS might be right though the competition in the AL is brutal.
    Well for those who don't know, KGJ has problems hitting left handers. I can't remember his exact average against left handers but it was below .200. So long as he is used against right handed pitching all whould be well with the world in Chicago.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 22:562 edits
    Originally posted by skryking
    the Cell is a homer friendly park so his power might work out well here. I think he's going to get put in center so that swisher can go to first and platoon Konerko and Thome as DH's...

Skryking
    Center field, eh? they moved him to right field in Cincinnati. Perhaps every now and then center field will be OK but for the long term I think it would be a mistake. He is prone to injury as well as having lost a step or two in his older years.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Aug '08 23:181 edit
    Center field, eh? they moved him to right field in Cincinnati. Perhaps every now and then center field will be OK but for the long term I think it would be a mistake. He is prone to injury as well as having lost a step or two in his older years.
    Griffey with a lost step is an improvement on Swisher. The question will always crop up about his injury possibilities, but has anyone thought about how much being part of a pennant drive may motivate him and pump up his game? Lord knows, he never had squat to play for in Cincy.

Edit: I think he would love nothing more than to silence they naysayers out there. And his surliness toward the press is no big deal. I can name you many players with a simlar attitude. The press is a pack of wolves and with a very few exceptions, their memories are as short as their next story. I have no problem with him, or anyone telling the press to jump up his ass.
  13. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 02:22
    Perhaps the lowest moment was a few years back when KGJ was rounding second base and came up limp and inexpicably, fans began to clap and cheer.
    My wife and I were actually at this game in 2003. It is the only Reds game I have been to. I was appalled at how the fans were treating him. He had just gotten off the DL and this was his first appearance in months. The fans cheered wildly when he was announced for his first at-bat. He hit a double. Then he hit a single later and the fans cheered again. Then he hit a second double, but when he limped around first into second the fans treated him horribly. That night I learned he was heading back to the DL with a pulled hamstring and I decided Reds fans are about the most fickle in all sports.

I think this story is mostly sad because Cincy is his hometown. The Reds never really tried to build a team around him. He actually had good players to work with in Seattle, and I don't think Seattle is all that much more wealthy than Cincinatti.

I would like to see his offensive numbers bounce back, but I think it may be the end of KGJ's career. Two more unproductive, injury-plagued seasons is about all I think he has left.

np
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 04:47
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    My wife and I were actually at this game in 2003. It is the only Reds game I have been to. I was appalled at how the fans were treating him. He had just gotten off the DL and this was his first appearance in months. The fans cheered wildly when he was announced for his first at-bat. He hit a double. Then he hit a single later and the fans cheered ag ...[text shortened]... career. Two more unproductive, injury-plagued seasons is about all I think he has left.

np
    Perhaps you can understand the viewpoints of the fans once I explain a few things to you.

As it has been stated earlier, KGJ was viewed as the "Messiah" of this team. In addition, he cost so much it was near impossible to build a decent team around him. If you then add to the fact that he became injured consistently and repeatidly throughout the year, that is every year, you can then see the frustration the fans of Cincinnati endured for about a decade or so with him being on the team.

Really, I don't think it matters who you have on your team if you don't win. Perhaps the ownership thought they would ride the "Griffey train" in order to appease the fans instead of trying to win?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 12:57
    Perhaps you can understand the viewpoints of the fans once I explain a few things to you.

As it has been stated earlier, KGJ was viewed as the "Messiah" of this team. In addition, he cost so much it was near impossible to build a decent team around him. If you then add to the fact that he became injured consistently and repeatidly throughout the year, th ...[text shortened]... they would ride the "Griffey train" in order to appease the fans instead of trying to win?
    Booing a player for getting injured is about as bush league as you can get.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree