1. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Joined
    02 May '07
    Moves
    27105
    13 Nov '08 14:40
    Just kidding...I don't think you're ugly.

    Just have a quick football question: Is there any esteem attached to the Carling Cup? I know it's not on a footing with the FA Cup or Prem title. But is winning it cause for celebration?
  2. where angels play
    Joined
    05 May '06
    Moves
    12683
    13 Nov '08 14:57
    I think maybe 20 years ago the "league cup" was a lot more important than it is now. To the top four, its just a hinderance really, they already have a huge game load to contend with, although it does give reserve players a good chance to get some competitive action and good experience.
    From a personal point of view, it was horrible to watch liverpool play the way they did last night. I dont care if its the European cup of the fxxking fa charity piss pot, as soon as you pull on that red shirt you give it your all. To see great players like Torres and Agger looking like they really couldnt give sXXt, just because its the league cup. I just hope they all got rockets up their arses when they got off the pitch.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10264
    13 Nov '08 15:00
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Just kidding...I don't think you're ugly.

    Just have a quick football question: Is there any esteem attached to the Carling Cup? I know it's not on a footing with the FA Cup or Prem title. But is winning it cause for celebration?
    only if you're a spurs fan....no one else gives a rats ass.....it is a way into europe though...and i guess i nice day to wembley for the fans.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91690
    13 Nov '08 16:31
    Originally posted by trev33
    and i guess i nice day to wembley for the fans.
    Isn't this the idea of, you know, SPORT?
  5. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Joined
    02 May '07
    Moves
    27105
    13 Nov '08 17:27
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    I think maybe 20 years ago the "league cup" was a lot more important than it is now. To the top four, its just a hinderance really, they already have a huge game load to contend with, although it does give reserve players a good chance to get some competitive action and good experience.
    From a personal point of view, it was horrible to watch liverpoo ...[text shortened]... s the league cup. I just hope they all got rockets up their arses when they got off the pitch.
    Thanks. That confirms my impression. Seeing Wenger starting a team with an average age of 19 made me think that, at least to the big clubs, it's not that big of a deal. Still, it's cool to see sides like Burnley and Watford in it. Of course, the quarterfinal draw will probably pit Aresenal with Man U.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10264
    13 Nov '08 18:11
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Isn't this the idea of, you know, SPORT?
    to go to wembley? i'd prefer croke park personally.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Joined
    23 Sep '03
    Moves
    15902
    13 Nov '08 20:25
    Whilst the mighty Rams remain in it, the Carling Cup is the most prestigious domestic football competition.
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91690
    13 Nov '08 20:26
    Originally posted by trev33
    to go to wembley? i'd prefer croke park personally.
    To go, watch and have a good time, no matter what the venue.

    Sport shouldn't just be about big money transfers, flashy cars, trophy wives and sponsorships.
    Sometimes I curse the day sportsmen went professional.
  9. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    13 Nov '08 20:51
    Originally posted by trev33
    to go to wembley? i'd prefer croke park personally.
    well since your boys wont be going this year..you should be ok
  10. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    13 Nov '08 20:53
    Originally posted by trev33
    only if you're a spurs fan....no one else gives a rats ass.....it is a way into europe though...and i guess i nice day to wembley for the fans.
    so chelsea winning it twice in the last 4 years was not worth it... and man U did'nt really want to beat Wigan three years ago?🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10264
    13 Nov '08 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    To go, watch and have a good time, no matter what the venue.

    Sport shouldn't just be about big money transfers, flashy cars, trophy wives and sponsorships.
    Sometimes I curse the day sportsmen went professional.
    i agree. if you read my post again i said the carling cup was pointless, which is the way it is perceived outside the top 4 teams. but if you read on i explained why it wasn't pointless, entry into european competition, a nice day out for the fans and more money for the fa....

    there is one reason why i don't like the carling cup though....to many games. i want to see the top players playing at their best in every game they play, i don't want to see them play in game that a. they don't care about and b. are not fit to play in.

    look at rugby and munster in the past year...i didn't get to see any of the magners league last year but i can guarantee that munster rested their top players on every occasion they could in the magners league to save them for the european cup and for ireland. this makes the magners league pretty crap sometimes.

    in other words the carling cup is the magners league of rugby.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10264
    13 Nov '08 20:57
    Originally posted by spurs73
    so chelsea winning it twice in the last 4 years was not worth it... and man U did'nt really want to beat Wigan three years ago?🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
    i'm sure it was nice once they got to the final and won it but would they have cared if they'd got beaten in the third round by barnet? nope.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10264
    13 Nov '08 20:57
    Originally posted by spurs73
    well since your boys wont be going this year..you should be ok
    my boys?
  14. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    13 Nov '08 22:38
    Originally posted by trev33
    i'm sure it was nice once they got to the final and won it but would they have cared if they'd got beaten in the third round by barnet? nope.
    i hear this all the time....ok Arsenal do play their youngstars for most of the matches..but Chelsea alway play a very strong side.

    man U play a mixture of first 11 players and reserves.

    Liverpool always put 3 or 4 of their starting 11 in most rounds.

    its a myth to say no one cares about the League cup.
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10264
    13 Nov '08 22:54
    Originally posted by spurs73
    i hear this all the time....ok Arsenal do play their youngstars for most of the matches..but Chelsea alway play a very strong side.

    man U play a mixture of first 11 players and reserves.

    Liverpool always put 3 or 4 of their starting 11 in most rounds.

    its a myth to say no one cares about the League cup.
    for the top sides its 4th on their list of priorities.....5th for the players if you include international matches. sure they would like to win it but its not that important for them if they don't, most use it to see how their youngsters world fair against decent opposition.

    plus its not just the top 4 that play a weaker side...look at the team reading put out against man utd a couple of years back...staying in the league is much more important than any cup. and with the league being so competitive this year almost no one is safe, why risk injuries in the carling cup when the league is 100 times more important.

    no doubt its a nice day for the fans when it happens but ask anyone weather they would want their team to win the carling cup over coming 4th in the league or just to stay in the league...how many will pick carling cup success?

    the amount of sponsors its had in the last 15 years tells it own story.
Back to Top