1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 12:12
    I don't think it's going to happen though. I think ND will remain a shadow of there former glory. It seems good academic standards and good football is too much to ask. 😏
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 13:39
    Originally posted by bill718
    I don't think it's going to happen though. I think ND will remain a shadow of there former glory. It seems good academic standards and good football is too much to ask. 😏
    I have always loved ND, but I bet this is not going to be a good year for the irish. I do hope they stick with their head coach, a great guy indeed. Winning should not be everything, but eventually I guess it affects recruiting.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 14:23
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I have always loved ND, but I bet this is not going to be a good year for the irish. I do hope they stick with their head coach, a great guy indeed. Winning should not be everything, but eventually I guess it affects recruiting.
    They should stick with their head coach because he is a nice guy? I wonder if they would hire me cause I'm a nice guy as well. In fact, I bet I could be a nicer guy than what they have now.

As for why he still has a job, it baffles me to say the least...other than he is a nice guy, of course.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 15:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    They should stick with their head coach because he is a nice guy? I wonder if they would hire me cause I'm a nice guy as well. In fact, I bet I could be a nicer guy than what they have now.

As for why he still has a job, it baffles me to say the least...other than he is a nice guy, of course.
    Notre Dame's coach certainly would not qualify as a nice guy.
    ND's will (unfortuntaley) problem be better this year but don't just blame the standards they have done a terrible job.
    (1) They have not gotten enough good recruits (they used to be able to get whomever they wanted). Now they get a few top players. It is always hard to measure the quality of recruits because a player automatically gets extra stars when he signs with a school like ND. But, just watch them play and often the better players are on the other team. That never happened until recently unless they were playing a top program.
    (2) They have had pleanty of recruits leave. The revolving door kills continuity.
    (3) they have done a poor job coaching. Its not a brand new system by now they should win.
    (4) they refuse to join a league which allowed them to slip before it was easy to measure the slipage. They no medium level difficulty games. They schedule garbage like the military forces and with the exception of games like USC (which they get killed) they are not playing the degree of difficulty that they used to play
    Yet they still think of themselves as god's gift to college football.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 18:02
    Originally posted by whodey

Of course you're a nice guy, but so is Weis. Perhaps he's in over his head not having coached other than as a fine offensive coordinator. I agree ND has declined but as they go lower I am sure the other teams refuse their overtures to play. Their biggest drag is not Weis but that useless QB of theirs, Claussen.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 19:241 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    ND's will (unfortuntaley) problem be better this year but don't just blame the standards they have done a terrible job.
    (1) They have not gotten enough good recruits (they used to be able to get whomever they wanted). Now they get a few top players. It is always hard to measure the qua ...[text shortened]... hat they used to play
    As regards ND's schedule, this article is on point: http://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/2009/07/16/what-soft-schedule/

Phil Steele's 2009 SOS rating (mentioned in the article) is at: http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/June09/DBJune9.html

ND's schedule is rated 36th toughest in the country, two places lower than preseason #1 Florida's.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 21:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    As regards ND's schedule, this article is on point: http://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/2009/07/16/what-soft-schedule/

Phil Steele's 2009 SOS rating (mentioned in the article) is at: http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/June09/DBJune9.html

ND's schedule is rated 36th toughest in the country, two places lower than preseason #1 Florida's.
    ND plays one top 25 team and of course it is at home; Florida plays 3 top 20 teams. ND plays no conference games and therefore schedules games in the exact order they want. ND simply does not have the difficulty of schedule they once had.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Aug '09 13:381 edit
    ND plays one top 25 team and of course it is at home; Florida plays 3 top 20 teams. ND plays no conference games and therefore schedules games in the exact order they want. ND simply does not have the difficulty of schedule they once had.
    Don't let the facts get in the way. ND's schedule is made years in advance and their opponents have something to say about the order they play teams in. The Irish play USC every year and 50% of the time it's at the Trojans; suggesting that ND's schedule is "easy" because this year they play at South Bend is about on par with running down the Gators when they play at home against FSU. It's not like they schedule Florida International, Charleston and Troy ALL at home, is it?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '09 14:57
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Their biggest drag is not Weis but that useless QB of theirs, Claussen.[/b]
    But who recruited Claussen?
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 13:04
    Don't let the facts get in the way. ND's schedule is made years in advance and their opponents have something to say about the order they play teams in. The Irish play USC every year and 50% of the time it's at the Trojans; suggesting that ND's schedule is "easy" because this year they play at South Bend is about on par with running down the Gators when ...[text shortened]... t's not like they schedule Florida International, Charleston and Troy ALL at home, is it?
    Notre Dame refuses to join a conference so they have more control over their schedule than just about any team in America. MOST of the schedule is made years ago but they the opportunity to play in Kickoff Classics or other games when it becomes apparent that there is only one top 25 game. But Notre Dame chose not to. Obviously it more important to make sure they play Navy each year. Regardless of the reason, their schedule is not what it used to be yet when it comes to bowl games they'll expect to be treated like royalty.
    I also feel that twenty years ago when teams were primarily interested in winning their conference and the automatic bowl tie in game you had better out of conference games. College football should require two of the out of conference games in the six major conference games be against teams from the other major conferences. It would decrease the number of games that are a complete joke and make for better football.
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 13:37
    Originally posted by bill718
    Lou Holtz picvked them to play Florida for the Nat'l championship...Hell yeah he's biased but there schedule IS manageable this year.

There wouild be no greater ratings winner than The Irish in the BCS championship.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 15:34
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Lou Holtz picvked them to play Florida for the Nat'l championship...Hell yeah he's biased but there schedule IS manageable this year.

There wouild be no greater ratings winner than The Irish in the BCS championship.
    Lou Holtz is biased (although in some fairness to him he never really presents himself as objective).
    I just don't think you get a real national champion at all if you play no schedule and the tie breaker is "it is great for ratings".
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 14:371 edit
    Lou Holtz is biased (although in some fairness to him he never really presents himself as objective).
    I just don't think you get a real national champion at all if you play no schedule and the tie breaker is "it is great for ratings".
    Yes, playing USC is "no schedule at all".

I'm somewhat puzzled why anyone considers ND's schedule "weak". Going by last year's results, the Irish play 7 teams that made it to bowl games. Besides USC, they play three BCS Conference teams that won 9 games last year - Michigan State, Boston College and Pitt. The two teams that they play that aren't in a BCS Conference both made it to bowls last year. And does anyone expect Michigan to go 3-9 again? I think their schedule is quite representative though it is a little heavy in home games (8 out of 12).

Notre Dame has played both Navy and USC since the 20's (with a few years break with USC), Purdue since 1946 and has played Michigan, Michigan State and Pitt for decades. I personally like these traditional rivalries and the Navy-Notre Dame one has produced a number of memorable games recently. There's something to say for tradition in college football. Most of the teams on ND's schedule are historical football powers who they have played many times. Why should ND join a conference and have to give up such great rivalries? I like the way they do it now.

All that said, I don't expect Notre Dame to be anywhere near the national title game though an 8-4 or 9-3 season doesn't look impossible.

EDIT: This wiki article is a good one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_football_rivalries
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 14:45
    (1) They have not gotten enough good recruits (they used to be able to get whomever they wanted). Now they get a few top players. It is always hard to measure the qua ...[text shortened]... hat they used to play
    BTW, calling Navy and the other service academies' teams "garbage" is offensive and uncalled for. First, these guys are not just playing football but will soon be risking their lives for their country; that doesn't rate them as "garbage" to me. And perhaps you missed it, but both Navy and Air Force had winning records last year and played in bowl games and put up credible performances though losing.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 01:22
    BTW, calling Navy and the other service academies' teams "garbage" is offensive and uncalled for. First, these guys are not just playing football but will soon be risking their lives for their country; that doesn't rate them as "garbage" to me. And perhaps you missed it, but both Navy and Air Force had winning records last year and played in bowl games and put up credible performances though losing.
    I know when they open up with my Buckeys at the Shoe they are encouraging people to cheer for Navy for these same reasons.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree