1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 15:091 edit
    so lets get this right, they have a fight and people just let them get on with it... unless i'm wrong, no other sport allows this... apart from combat sports of course...! my question is, should it be allowed.... if so, should we introduce this in every sport... when a fight kicks off in football (soccer), should we just let 'em get on with it..?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 15:16
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    so lets get this right, they have a fight and people just let them get on with it... unless i'm wrong, no other sport allows this... apart from combat sports of course...! my question is, should it be allowed.... if so, should we introduce this in every sport... when a fight kicks off in football (soccer), should we just let 'em get on with it..?
    When you have men on ice with razors on their feet and heavy sticks you have to let them police themselves with fighting. Similar to MLB where you might get a fastball between the shoulder blades if you are showing off or crowding the plate.

In NFL, you might get blindsided if you've been acting up... and in hoops you might get an elbow across the nose. These are important things to keep everyone within the rules and playing honest.

P-
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 20:40
    lacrosse allows fighting.

But more imortantly, no other sport gives you the chance to smack your opponent with a weapon (stick). All other sports are body part only contact. You can actually kill someone with a hockey stick.

You are also travelling at much higher speeds when you hit someone while skating versus just running around.

This elevates the potential danger level so the only way to keep the players on their honour is the threat of physical violence as retaliation. Spending 2 minutes in a penalty box is NOT a deterant.

If you didn't have fighting then you would see a bunch of Bobby Clark goons out there taking out the other team's best player ala Kharmalov during the 72 Summit Series.

If you take out fighting there will be increased frustrations and guys getting checked into boards from behind more and more. Someone will get killed. Better to have a 20 second scrap and blow off some steam because it's rare where someone actually gets hurt in a fight.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 21:02
    And it's just called HOCKEY,,,,, not ICE hockey.

Do we call baseball, "Hardball Baseball" ??
    Or Tennis, Raquet Tennis??

Ice hockey is just Hockey.

It's the NHL not the NIHL!
  5. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 22:10
    I haven't liked hockey since Tony Twist retired.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree