1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 15:19
    Boy, I sure hope Rex Ryan knows what he's doing; because he just unceremoniously dumped two really good players.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 20:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    Boy, I sure hope Rex Ryan knows what he's doing; because he just unceremoniously dumped two really good players.
    He was cutting salary and age.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 16:181 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Faneca might have been the league's most overrated player. I'm not saying he wasn't good, but there tends to be additional value attributed to you when you're a recognizable name on the O-line.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 18:58
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Faneca might have been the league's most overrated player. I'm not saying he wasn't good, but there tends to be additional value attributed to you when you're a recognizable name on the O-line.
    Not sure a guy with that many Pro Bowl appearances can be that highly overrated.
    I think it is merely they are cutting the huge salary they were paying to him because they want to go younger and they think they have personnel to allow it.

Let's face it, the Jets are still on tap to the tune of about 5.5 million (give or take) for the upcoming season. That is a pretty tough pill to swallow either way, don't you think?

I would bet he is playing for either the Texans or the Saints this season. I would say it is even money on one of the two.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 19:40
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Not sure a guy with that many Pro Bowl appearances can be that highly overrated.
    I think it is merely they are cutting the huge salary they were paying to him because they want to go younger and they think they have personnel to allow it.

Let's face it, the Jets are still on tap to the tune of about 5.5 million (give or take) for the upcoming season ...[text shortened]... r either the Texans or the Saints this season. I would say it is even money on one of the two.
    I would actually think the chances of Faneca joining the Saints is greater since he is an LSU alumni. He certinaly won't get anywhere near the $40 mil ($21 mil guaranteed) he got just a couple years ago.

Personally, I find the Pro Bowl (and most other all-star games) to be a bit of a joke and not necessarily indicative of a player's current ability. Even moreso when it comes to Offensive Linemen who seem to get voted on reputation alone. Jason Peters is another example of a perrennial Pro Bowl tackle who is big in name and stature only. He and Faneca are both below-average pass blockers.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 19:45
    I would actually think the chances of Faneca joining the Saints is greater since he is an LSU alumni. He certinaly won't get anywhere near the $40 mil ($21 mil guaranteed) he got just a couple years ago.

Personally, I find the Pro Bowl (and most other all-star games) to be a bit of a joke and not necessarily indicative of a player's current ability. Eve ...[text shortened]... ckle who is big in name and stature only. He and Faneca are both below-average pass blockers.
    Yes, he is an LSU alum and he owns a home in Louisiana.
    But he grew up just southwest of Houston in Richmond, Texas where all of his family live.
    That, coupled with the fact that the Saints may have less OL needs, makes me think Houston would be a good choice.
    Another consideration is any team that wanted to sign him to a two year deal, could basically do it for half price, because the Jets are on tap for the bulk of his first year.
    A shrewd investment if the guy is still physically able to go.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 19:50
    Yes, he is an LSU alum and he owns a home in Louisiana.
    But he grew up just southwest of Houston in Richmond, Texas where all of his family live.
    That, coupled with the fact that the Saints may have less OL needs, makes me think Houston would be a good choice.
    Another consideration is any team that wanted to sign him to a two year deal, could basic ...[text shortened]... for the bulk of his first year.
    A shrewd investment if the guy is still physically able to go.
    And they need some serious run-blocking help in Houston too... and a RELIABLE running back, of course. 😛
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 19:58
    And they need some serious run-blocking help in Houston too... and a RELIABLE running back, of course. 😛
    Why in the hell they let Toby Gerhart go to Minnesota I don't know.
    That one may come up and bite them in the butt.
    We need someone who will run straight ahead and not dance.
    A player who doesn't quit and who seems to get stronger as the game progresses.
    They were thinking that Ben Tate was as good as Gerhart, but I don't think so.
    Time will tell I suppose. Either way, if they open a hole the size of a truck, even Steve Slaton can run the ball (provided he doesn't put the rock on the ground).
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 19:59
    By the way, I can see the Jets cutting Faneca because of age of salary but what about Leon? The guy is still young, he's a big play guy and just signed a 2nd round tender (about 1.7 mil base salary). Is that overpaid for a RB of his design? Didn't seem like they got much in return for him. Very puzzling to me.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 20:03
    By the way, I can see the Jets cutting Faneca because of age of salary but what about Leon? The guy is still young, he's a big play guy and just signed a 2nd round tender (about 1.7 mil base salary). Is that overpaid for a RB of his design? Didn't seem like they got much in return for him. Very puzzling to me.
    From what I understand, Leon Washington has some "off the field" issues.
    They are cutting the baggage loose before they get hung.
    It had to be pretty bad too, but they drafted well and made some excellent veteran pick ups.
    I don't think he will be missed personally.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 20:05
    From what I understand, Leon Washington has some "off the field" issues.
    They are cutting the baggage loose before they get hung.
    It had to be pretty bad too, but they drafted well and made some excellent veteran pick ups.
    I don't think he will be missed personally.
    Ah! Well, if the off-the-filed stuff is true, then you can't blame them.

Question is: When will the Steelers rid themselves of Ruthlessraper? ... Um, I mean Roethlisberger. 😲
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 20:12
    Ah! Well, if the off-the-filed stuff is true, then you can't blame them.

Question is: When will the Steelers rid themselves of Ruthlessraper? ... Um, I mean Roethlisberger. 😲
    My guess is they couldn't get what they wanted for him, so they are going to stick with him.

Otherwise, I think they would have taken a QB of consequence in the draft.
    Obviously, the have a band group until his suspension is done.
    Of course, the Steelers did catch a break with their first 6 opponents.
    They may figure they have nothing to lose by sticking with him for now.
    If he straightens up, he is still a good QB afterall.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 12:54
    Faneca signs a one-year deal with the Cards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5140938

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree