1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Sep '11 23:32
    He decided to leave the last game today after he got a hit in his first AB because he figures it will help his chances to win the NL batting title (Ryan Braun will need 3 hits tonight to pass him;I hope he gets them).

Anybody else think this is pathetic? By contrast, Ted Williams was hitting over .400 going into the last day and his manager offered to sit him so he wouldn't jeopardize the milestone. Ted insisted on playing and got a bunch of hits and wound up at .406.

Do they "not make like they used to"? Or is Reyes an aberration (hard to see Derek Jeter doing to same thing)?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '11 00:17
    Forget that, how's his music career coming along?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Sep '11 02:10
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    He decided to leave the last game today after he got a hit in his first AB because he figures it will help his chances to win the NL batting title (Ryan Braun will need 3 hits tonight to pass him;I hope he gets them).

Anybody else think this is pathetic? By contrast, Ted Williams was hitting over .400 going into the last day and his manage ...[text shortened]... like they used to"? Or is Reyes an aberration (hard to see Derek Jeter doing to same thing)?
    Miguel Cabrera played and collected two hits to protect his AL batting crown.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 Sep '11 03:40

Anybody else think this is pathetic? By contrast, Ted Williams was hitting over .400 going into the last day and his manage ...[text shortened]... like they used to"? Or is Reyes an aberration (hard to see Derek Jeter doing to same thing)?
    They haven't made one like Teddy Ballgame for many years!!!
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 01:27
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    They haven't made one like Teddy Ballgame for many years!!!
    I think there are plenty of current players (I mentioned one) who wouldn't pull such a stunt.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 01:46
    I think there are plenty of current players (I mentioned one) who wouldn't pull such a stunt.
    It wouldn't be as hard to see A-Rod doing it though.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 13:53
    Even his own manager thought it was a joke. The Mets just don't want to fight with him because they still have hopes of re-signing him. In the end he had a great year despite his injuries and his talent and injury risk are far more significant.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 01:48

First "thumbs up" is from me. Even the Bush Leagues would condemn him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree