Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    09 Jan '09 14:17
    Whose with the ECB on this one? And who backs KP? And who thinks it's as much this as that, half a dozen of one and six of the other?
  2. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    10 Jan '09 08:18
    KP has shown that he is a petulant little spoilt brat.

    Just think of the 'reasons' that he left SA...

    I still believe he's a flash in the pan who will wear out much sooner than any of the great players who have played this beautiful game. His personality will make sure of that.
    He's his own worst enemy with his abrasive attitude and arrogance.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    10 Jan '09 09:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    He's his own worst enemy with his abrasive attitude and arrogance.
    The tabloid narrative since he became captain (swashbuckling hero, leading by example and infectious confidence), was totally at odds with the dressing room reality, which was that after 5 months, he commanded little respect or loyalty from his players, and when he didn't look like getting his own way over Moores, he - the Captain of England - threatened to refuse to tour W.I., a threat so excruciatingly inappropriate from a leader that, on its own, it guarantees that he will never be asked to captain the side again, no matter how many bygones are allowed to become bygones, and regardless of how much water bridges see flow under themselves.
  4. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    10 Jan '09 09:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The tabloid narrative since he became captain (swashbuckling hero, leading by example and infectious confidence), was totally at odds with the dressing room reality, which was that after 5 months, he commanded little respect or loyalty from his players, and when he didn't look like getting his own way over Moores, he - the Captain of England - threatened to refu ...[text shortened]... allowed to become bygones, and regardless of how much water bridges see flow under themselves.
    Is 'infectious confidence' the new euphemism for 'arrogant prick'?

    He's a brat. A very talented one, but brat nonetheless.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    10 Jan '09 10:24
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Is 'infectious confidence' the new euphemism for 'arrogant prick'?
    Well, it fits into the classic tabloid story arc. Build 'em up. Knock 'em down. Adopt an arrogant prick, call 'em infectiously confident. When they turn out to be an arrogant prick, call them an arrogant prick.

    Is it my imagination, but has G.Smith SA (Capt.) gone from arrogant prick (and good) to infectiously confident (and good)?
  6. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    10 Jan '09 11:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is it my imagination, but has G.Smith SA (Capt.) gone from arrogant prick (and good) to infectiously confident (and good)?
    Absolutely. He's really maturing into a great captain and even better player. He had an awesome year.
    Hopefully these injuries don't hamper him too much when he gets back. Those Aussies are gonna come at us HARD when they fly over here later...
  7. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    10 Jan '09 21:58
    When I hear of KP I think aggressive, arrogant, combative and selfish. No doubt he's supremely talented and also a prick by my lights. Sometimes he put down his cudgels briefly to play for the team, but mostly he's played for himself. This can be good and bad in certain players, but if he every truly wanted to be a national captain he had to realise that there were politicals that came with it.

    Five months into your captaincy, you don't make ultimatums unless you are very, very sure of yourself and your position. You certainly also don't disappear on holiday to the same country you've frequently trashed. If KP had the courage of his convictions, he should have been available to stand up and defend them and to argue his case. The fact that he didn't and went incommunicado shows poor judgement to go with his other character traits.
  8. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    10 Jan '09 22:04
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Absolutely. He's really maturing into a great captain and even better player. He had an awesome year.
    I've never felt with Smith that it's him talking in interviews, rather other people. He's starting to mellow, to become himself rather than his handlers.
  9. Standard member lordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    10 Jan '09 23:42
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    I've never felt with Smith that it's him talking in interviews, rather other people. He's starting to mellow, to become himself rather than his handlers.
    Exactly. Smith has relaxed in his role and dare i say it, he is enjoying his cricket. That makes such a difference to a team, seeing your leader cool under fire, having the odd joke and exuding confidence. His life was made easier by McGrath and Warne retiring too. All these things have turned Smith into an excellent captain.
    Now Pieterson is a class "A" pratt! A spoilt little boy who didnt get his way, so he is taking his bat and ball and going home. The dropkick should tell his storey walking!
    What a scream that in the Aussie press there are reports that Warne will be aproached to coach England!?! WTF??
    Do they need lessons how to SMS slappers or something?