1. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 15:37
    Armstrong has now been shovelled to the gutter of sporting history, officially at least... will we all remember him for his latent talent, despite all the titles he's now been stripped of, or have the cycling bosses got this one right ??

Despite every accusation made against sporting 'greats' ( and rewind a few years ago, before his own American cycling union 'further and further investigated him'... he most certainly was a legend, let us make no bones of that fact ! )
    Is it the sporting public and not the official sporting bodies, that determine whether someone was genuinely great ......or will this announcement now 'finalise' the whole episode, so forever he'll be regarded as one of sports biggest cheats ??
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    22 Oct '12 22:22
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Armstrong has now been shovelled to the gutter of sporting history, officially at least... will we all remember him for his latent talent, despite all the titles he's now been stripped of, or have the cycling bosses got this one right ??

Despite every accusation made against sporting 'greats' ( and rewind a few years ago, before his own American cycl ...[text shortened]... lise' the whole episode, so forever he'll be regarded as one of sports biggest cheats ??
    He'll still be regarded as the best of his generation.. although his generation stank and put me off watching Le Tour for many years.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 01:47
    I just wish the proof was made public...
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 16:43
    Poor Jan Ullrich.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 23:051 edit

Despite every accusation made against sporting 'greats' ( and rewind a few years ago, before his own American cycl lise' the whole episode, so forever he'll be regarded as one of sports biggest cheats ??
    The reality is that rather than having been a "great cyclist", he was a "great cheater". While it seems that many have accepted this reality, there are more than a few who avoid accepting it by creating excuses and rationalizations.
  6. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 00:09

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 00:10

8. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 00:24

9. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 00:26
    I think here we see a small segment of what is the general divide; there as many people that 'hope' he didn't ( re: were we 'duped' ) as those that are prepared to accept the findings of the governing bodies. I'd like to know why it's taken so long IF ''we all knew that 'most' of the top guys were cheating''...all the testimony, from all the former riders \ team members \ doctors etc etc, indicate the governing bodies knew full well what was going on...indeed Armstrong was apparently caught 'red handed' in '00 or '02 I think, but they needed ever more proof...why, and why have we, the paying public, HAD to 'accept' this guy as being one of cyclings greats if they knew this all along ?? I feel short changed, I feel DUPED, if this is proven to be the case !! 'Proof', there's another thing as Armstrong has given up challenging the authorities..how do we read that also ?
    This is another dilemma, if this is one big stitch up, as many are claiming, then not only have we lost a great cyclist but also a brilliant charity; 'livestrong'..everyone has deserted Armstrong, all sponsors are demanding he pays ALL monies back..it's a legal quagmire that will cost him far more than the mere shirt on his back.
    It sours my interest in cycling, just who the hell is for real out there ( interesting to note that 'Jan Ullrich' is mentioned as a 'possible' !? ) It sours my belief that the governing body will ever get their act together when it's plain to see that there's been far too many of them more concerned over their own image ( ''it didn't \ won't happen on my watch'' is their attitude ! ) than the sport in general..
  10. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 16:49
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Poor Jan Ullrich.
    Why?
  11. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 00:041 edit
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    Why?
    I can't speak for 'Trev33', but Ullrich was also on the doping list...he was banned earlier this year..he did, however, push Armstrong to the limit when the two competed against each other..he won Le Tour in '97 and that result STANDS as his ban was for 'all POST '05 results'...he was way beyond his best in '05 and beyond, he won little in comparison at that point in his career. What does that tell us though, the governing body are just useless IMHO...
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 03:18
    I think he'll be back in cycling in ten years. With a welcome return.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 09:24
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I just wish the proof was made public...
    http://cyclinginvestigation.usada.org/
  14. Joined
    06 Aug '11
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 19:42

Despite every accusation made against sporting 'greats' ( and rewind a few years ago, before his own American cycl ...[text shortened]... lise' the whole episode, so forever he'll be regarded as one of sports biggest cheats ??
    YouTube

If I were innocent, I'd be screaming my lungs out.....the above is a TWO YEAR old gem...
  15. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 23:49
    Originally posted by mudpie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlTr2GSVUGg

If I were innocent, I'd be screaming my lungs out.....the above is a TWO YEAR old gem...
    Brilliant, 'I'm tired of being told who to admire in this country !'..
    wonder if anyone has ever sued this highly amusing George Carlin character lol...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree