1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 18:53
    I feel sorry for the buggers... every decision scrutinised from 14 different camera angles.
    I know there's a lot of money at stake in football and a wrong decision can cost millions - but they're only human... we all make mistakes...
  2. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 19:23
    Originally posted by blade68
    I feel sorry for the buggers... every decision scrutinised from 14 different camera angles.
    I know there's a lot of money at stake in football and a wrong decision can cost millions - but they're only human... we all make mistakes...
    thats why they should have video playback like rugby.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 19:39
    I've never been able to understand the mentality behind people complaining about a 'late' decision, e.g. "that linesman's flag was late!" So what if it's late? What's the difference? What are people implying when they question a delay in a decision?
  4. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 19:41
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    I've never been able to understand the mentality behind people complaining about a 'late' decision, e.g. "that linesman's flag was late!" So what if it's late? What's the difference? What are people implying when they question a delay in a decision?
    Its a pain that they dont raise the flag until the offended has touched the ball! I think thats why (recently) some complain about the late raise.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 19:49
    How much do refs earn?

It's no wonder they're not particularly great.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 19:55
    Originally posted by rmacken
    Its a pain that they dont raise the flag until the offended has touched the ball! I think thats why (recently) some complain about the late raise.
    Why is it a pain?
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 19:56
    Originally posted by Palynka
    How much do refs earn?

It's no wonder they're not particularly great.
    Premiership referees are professional and easily earn over 40 000 quid a year.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 20:02
    Interesting, but they're unbelievably crap. The only explanation is that they're not really being chosen on their capability.

Maybe better selection systems (and more transparent) would help.
  9. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 20:29
    Interesting, but they're unbelievably crap. The only explanation is that they're not really being chosen on their capability.

Maybe better selection systems (and more transparent) would help.
    If someone watched you on 14 different camera angles do your job for 100 minutes would there be any inperfections?

Refs are assessed internally and through the media. Hardly any other job is analysed so thoroughly.
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 22:18
    So roughly what the players earn in a week.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 23:12
    Originally posted by invigorate
    If someone watched you on 14 different camera angles do your job for 100 minutes would there be any inperfections?

Refs are assessed internally and through the media. Hardly any other job is analysed so thoroughly.
    And? That makes it easy to see how crap they are. Do you really think Graham Poll is as good as it gets?
  12. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 08:45
    And? That makes it easy to see how crap they are. Do you really think Graham Poll is as good as it gets?
    Grahm Poll obviously thinks he's the best, which is half the problem.

Concentrate on the job at hand instead of seeking controversy and alot of people will be happy
  13. Leeds, UK
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 11:45
    I think another thing the FA should introduce, taken from Rugby, is that the referees should be microphoned. This would allow everyone to here what explanation they are given to the players, and also cut out the swearing etc at referees from the players (or at least it should do).
  14. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 19:07
    As well as being over analysed, many of the players have little or no respect for the referees. That's a problem that needs stamping out sooner rather than later.
    How many times do we see referees surrounded and hounded by players... if the refs were given a directive to book players who over-react to decisions we'd probably see the game running a lot smoother...
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 19:32
    Originally posted by blade68
    As well as being over analysed, many of the players have little or no respect for the referees. That's a problem that needs stamping out sooner rather than later.
    How many times do we see referees surrounded and hounded by players... if the refs were given a directive to book players who over-react to decisions we'd probably see the game running a lot smoother...
    They already book people for giving too much backchat though don't they? Like you say it's the whole attitude towards referees that needs to change - the players aren't going to give them more respect if the media and fans don't.

Regarding video replays, I'd like all fixtures for one weekend to have all decisions looked at by a fourth official via replays, and then for the referee to be instructed to change his mind if he got it wrong. Then the crowds would be able to see the chaos the game will descend into and Mark Hughes will change his mind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree