1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Jan '12 23:16
    Baltimore 100% deserved to win that game. Aside from the missed chip shot, Evans caught that second down pass and clearly got both feet down in the end zone before the ball was swiped away. I can't believe they didn't review that!! It's the last 2 minutes, so they couldn't challenge it, but that they didn't even review that is a disgrace. They only showed one replay of that??? Do you think CBS doesn't want to embarrass the league?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '12 23:33
    I thought the whole point of no challenges in the last 2 minutes was because they were going to check EVERY close call. Ridiculous.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Jan '12 23:371 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I thought the whole point of no challenges in the last 2 minutes was because they were going to check EVERY close call. Ridiculous.
    Ironic in that if they had ruled it a score, by rule they would have had to review it. But because they called it incomplete, they didn't have to.

Incidentally, it's possible that wasn't a touchdown. Maybe he didn't have possession for long enough. I have to see the replay a bit more closely to really know. But, at the very least it was worth a review.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '12 23:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    Ironic in that if they had ruled it a score, by rule they would have had to review it. But because they called it incomplete, they didn't have to.

Incidentally, it's possible that wasn't a touchdown. Maybe he didn't have possession for long enough. I have to see the replay a bit more closely to really know. But, at the very least it was worth a review.
    It was clearly not a catch. He didn't even get turned around let alone make a football move.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 00:161 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It was clearly not a catch. He didn't even get turned around let alone make a football move.
    You don't need to make a football move. It's in the end zone. Once it's a catch the play is over. Why would you be interested in making a football move if you already have the touchdown? There was no reason to turn around.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 00:241 edit
    You don't need to make a football move. It's in the end zone. Once it's a catch the play is over. Why would you be interested in making a football move if you already have the touchdown? There was no reason to turn around.
    You have to maintain control of the ball all the way to the ground and you have to make a football move if you don't go to the ground... and if there is action even in the endzone.

It would be different if nobody was around him then he would just need to have control and the play is over but if there is action he has to complete the pass.

Action = players of the other team that have a chance to disrupt the completion.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 00:282 edits
    You have to maintain control of the ball all the way to the ground and you have to make a football move if you don't go to the ground... and if there is action even in the endzone.

It would be different if nobody was around him then he would just need to have control and the play is over but if there is action he has to complete the pass.

Action = players of the other team that have a chance to disrupt the completion.
    Maybe, but at least they should have reviewed it. The guy did get 2 feet down after he had the ball. It's a bang bang play. It was worth another look.

Edit: "Going to the ground" here isn't really relevant because he wasn't on his way down. He wasn't going to the ground at all. Theoretically, what if he just catches it and stands still for 5 seconds and then gets it knocked out? That's a catch, of course.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 00:32
    It was worth a review.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 00:54
    It wasn't. If the play is obvious then the play is obvious. There is too much precedence in this type of situation... It would not be called a fumble on the rest of the field so it must be incomplete and if it is incomplete on the field then it is incomplete in the endzone.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 03:191 edit
    Baltimore 100% deserved to win that game. Aside from the missed chip shot, Evans caught that second down pass and clearly got both feet down in the end zone before the ball was swiped away. I can't believe they didn't review that!! It's the last 2 minutes, so they couldn't challenge it, but that they didn't even review that is a disgrace. They only showed one replay of that??? Do you think CBS doesn't want to embarrass the league?
    You have to understand that Bill Belicheck is Lucifer incarnate. Sure, under normal circumstances the team would have lost, but.................

I think the reason the game was so close was that Bills powers were a little drained after facing Tebow last week.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 04:14
    Evans should have caught it, but the call was correct under the rules. You have to finish the play and he didn't.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 14:23
    It was not possession in the end zone, he should have spent a little time securing the ball rather than thinking about the super cool end zone dance he was going to do.

The better team won.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 15:26
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It was not possession in the end zone, he should have spent a little time securing the ball rather than thinking about the super cool end zone dance he was going to do.

The better team won.
    The better team over-all? Perhaps.

The better team yesterday? Not according to the secondary numbers.
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 20:38
    The better team over-all? Perhaps.

The better team yesterday? Not according to the secondary numbers.
    Statistics do not put points on the scoreboard.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Statistics do not put points on the scoreboard.
    That wasn't the issue.

Phlabibit didn't say the Patriots scored more points. If he had, he'd have been right (though obvious). But he said that the better team won. All the numbers indicate that the Ravens outplayed the Pats. They lost anyway. Fine. It happens. But that the Pats scored more points doesn't mean they were the better team on that day. Otherwise, the statement is just a redundancy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree