1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    14 Mar '16 10:372 edits
    An honest mistake? While I do like her, as Andy Murray said, there's something a 'bit off' about so many top athletes at the peak of their physical condition supposedly needing treatment with Meldonium, especially for such extended periods of time (10 years in Maria's case) when it's manufacturers state the normal course for treatment is 4-6 weeks (it can be repeated twice or thrice a year).

    It could still be an honest mistake, but it as absolutely right that she receives a ban. She was notified that meldonium was on the banned list -- she must be expected to pay attention to emails from the anti-doping agency.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    14 Mar '16 17:30
    What do you mean 'honest mistake'? This was a legal drug until last January becasue they tested it and concluded that in high dosages it improved oxygen levels in the blood which aids recovery. These are people who have teams of doctors around them and people who are supposed to check if something they're taking is legal or not. One of two things happened, either they were completely slack and never checked the new banned list or they did and continued to take it anyway. Either way rules are rules, however new or old and every athlete is completing under the same rules so if you are found to be taking something you're not supposed to be you deserve the punishment given to you. In this particular case it should be a years ban, minimum.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    14 Mar '16 19:08
    Originally posted by Trev33
    What do you mean 'honest mistake'? This was a legal drug until last January becasue they tested it and concluded that in high dosages it improved oxygen levels in the blood which aids recovery. These are people who have teams of doctors around them and people who are supposed to check if something they're taking is legal or not. One of two things happened, ei ...[text shortened]... deserve the punishment given to you. In this particular case it should be a years ban, minimum.
    I agree with you. I just mean we, the general public, aren't privy to the fine detail of this or really any legal case reported in the press. Life circumstances are so complex -- fractally so, I'd guess -- that without knowing all the details we can never be completely sure of anything. Even if we do know the details we're vulnerable to our own biases or mistakes in thinking. I'm not defending her. I said she deserves a ban, didn't I?
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    14 Mar '16 19:33
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I agree with you. I just mean we, the general public, aren't privy to the fine detail of this or really any legal case reported in the press. Life circumstances are so complex -- fractally so, I'd guess -- that without knowing all the details we can never be completely sure of anything. Even if we do know the details we're vulnerable to our own biases or mistakes in thinking. I'm not defending her. I said she deserves a ban, didn't I?
    We'll never know the true extent of doping in sport. Look at Lance Armstrong, completely dominated a sport for a decade and in the end was a complete farce, who knows who else.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    14 Mar '16 22:59
    Originally posted by Trev33
    We'll never know the true extent of doping in sport. Look at Lance Armstrong, completely dominated a sport for a decade and in the end was a complete farce, who knows who else.
    Matthew Syed puts forward a surprisingly persuasive case for allowing all doping in this book:

    Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practice https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007350546/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Fh05wbAFB6DSR

    It's worth a read (you can see from the title it isn't mainly about doping).
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    3298
    04 Apr '16 07:26
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    An honest mistake? While I do like her, as Andy Murray said, there's something a 'bit off' about so many top athletes at the peak of their physical condition supposedly needing treatment with Meldonium, especially for such extended periods of time (10 years in Maria's case) when it's manufacturers state the normal course for treatment is 4-6 weeks (i ...[text shortened]... the banned list -- she must be expected to pay attention to emails from the anti-doping agency.
    This was NOT an honest mistake. Maria knew exactly what she was doing, and it was wrong. I admired Maria's talent, manners (and I'll admit...looks) for years. But I lost a great deal of respect for her when I found she had taken these drugs. 😳
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    05 Apr '16 00:38
    Originally posted by bill718
    This was NOT an honest mistake. Maria knew exactly what she was doing, and it was wrong. I admired Maria's talent, manners (and I'll admit...looks) for years. But I lost a great deal of respect for her when I found she had taken these drugs. 😳
    Then simply a mistake, no honesty about it. It's very sad.
Back to Top