Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    05 Oct '07 15:08
    On the news today. She's the US sprinter from the 2000 Olympics who denied and denied.
  2. 05 Oct '07 15:21
    Shameful.

    It will be interesting to see how the recent crackdown on performance enhancing drugs in the professional sports world over the past 4 years will affect the 2008 Olympics, if at all.
  3. 05 Oct '07 15:54
    Certain sports (cycling and track especially) are almost completely ruined by performance enhancing drugs. In fact almost everyone you've ever heard of from Ben Johnson on tested positive. Even given that Marion Jones is a Barrry Bonds style joke. (1) look at her -- women just don't look like that and if there is one lesson in the steriod world, it is trust your eyes (2) Her coach is involved (3) her husband is involved. It's sad.
  4. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    05 Oct '07 17:36
    Originally posted by leepound
    Certain sports (cycling and track especially) are almost completely ruined by performance enhancing drugs. In fact almost everyone you've ever heard of from Ben Johnson on tested positive. Even given that Marion Jones is a Barrry Bonds style joke. (1) look at her -- women just don't look like that and if there is one lesson in the steriod world, it is trust your eyes (2) Her coach is involved (3) her husband is involved. It's sad.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens when/if the media hits the NFL for steroid use. It's obviously wide spread but since there are no olympic games for football there seems to be little impetus for the Media (ie ABC Fox ESPN) to make a big deal out of it. They have so much money invested in keeping the NFL popular that I don't see it happening.
  5. 06 Oct '07 05:27
    Originally posted by uzless
    It'll be interesting to see what happens when/if the media hits the NFL for steroid use. It's obviously wide spread but since there are no olympic games for football there seems to be little impetus for the Media (ie ABC Fox ESPN) to make a big deal out of it. They have so much money invested in keeping the NFL popular that I don't see it happening.
    EXCELLANT point!
  6. Subscriber invigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    06 Oct '07 06:33
    Originally posted by leepound
    Certain sports (cycling and track especially) are almost completely ruined by performance enhancing drugs. In fact almost everyone you've ever heard of from Ben Johnson on tested positive. Even given that Marion Jones is a Barrry Bonds style joke. (1) look at her -- women just don't look like that and if there is one lesson in the steriod world, it is trust your eyes (2) Her coach is involved (3) her husband is involved. It's sad.
    The womens world record books are a complete sham. I hope Ms Jones - who lets face it was married to CJ Hunter then hada baby with Tim Montgomery goes to jail for her perpetual lying on this matter.

    However, when athletes take drugs it is systematic, there are many members of the support team who are equally guilty. In fact these people are possibly more guilty as they don't have to live with the negative side effects that often affect athletes in later life.

    I hope her health is fine, and if she is truly sorry she will collaborate fully with officials to try and expose more of this corruption.
  7. 06 Oct '07 07:04
    What I consider a bigger problem is the fact that this drug was invisible until Marion's coach mailed it to the authorities. How many other athletes are using such substances because the scientists are one step ahead of the testers?

    In football there are things like blood doping allegedly used in other European leagues but frowned upon by the Premier League.
  8. 06 Oct '07 07:25
    Originally posted by z00t
    What I consider a bigger problem is the fact that this drug was invisible until Marion's coach mailed it to the authorities. How many other athletes are using such substances because the scientists are one step ahead of the testers?

    In football there are things like blood doping allegedly used in other European leagues but frowned upon by the Premier League.
    Lets note go with this THE BRITISH ARE ALL CLEAN BS.. remember Rio a few years ago when he 'missed' a test?

    Also Johnstone of Scotland and rangers was banned for drug use in the 70s.

    David jenkings the british 400m runner come out after his retirement to say he used drugs during his career IN THE 70s
  9. 06 Oct '07 07:34 / 2 edits
    I did not say the leagues here are all clean but how many times have you read of players coming from the leagues abroad and their red blood cells are abnormally high? There was that Juve drugs scandal as well as the later match-fixing.

    You also have the situation where people who miss a test like Rio are banned for 8 months (despite passing a later test) and people who actually take drugs banned for 4 months?

    http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/2007/09/the_drugs_ban_x.html
  10. 06 Oct '07 09:15
    Originally posted by z00t
    I did not say the leagues here are all clean but how many times have you read of players coming from the leagues abroad and their red blood cells are abnormally high? There was that Juve drugs scandal as well as the later match-fixing.

    You also have the situation where people who miss a test like Rio are banned for 8 months (despite passing a later test) and ...[text shortened]... y take drugs banned for 4 months?

    http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/2007/09/the_drugs_ban_x.html
    Fair point.