1. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    11 May '08 03:57
    Rolling to 6 in a row now. 1.43 ERA last 7 games for the starters... and ug, Dan UGGGGGLA! 5 RBI's tonite alone!!!! Just signed Hanley to 70 Million contract, don't know if that's wise, but....

11-0 spanking of the Nats!

who'da thunk it?
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 May '08 17:53
    i think in the next 5 years theyll win a world series and best the worst team in the league.. at the same time 😛
  3. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    13 May '08 08:241 edit
    Originally posted by irontigran
    i think in the next 5 years theyll win a world series and best the worst team in the league.. at the same time 😛
    It's funny, the Marlins have the smallest payroll in the Majors. The next closest is twice!!!!

They lost tonight, but it does seriously make you think about how much heart goes into Baseball.

ya gotta love it irontigger.

BY THE WAY, for all the nay-sayers.. marlins have won 2 world series in the past 12 years.. what do you say to dat cubbie fans?
  4. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    19 May '08 02:50
    Originally posted by SmookieP

BY THE WAY, for all the nay-sayers.. marlins have won 2 world series in the past 12 years.. what do you say to dat cubbie fans?
    While I'm more of a Cub's admirer than fan (I really like Wrigley, a lot!), I think the following sentiment will be shared by all Cub fans:

Grrrr....Bartman!!!!....Grrr

I am a Braves fan, and it's incredibly upsetting to win all those divisions knowing another team from the same division won more WS in that stretch.

Grrrr...

np
  5. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    19 May '08 07:27
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    While I'm more of a Cub's admirer than fan (I really like Wrigley, a lot!), I think the following sentiment will be shared by all Cub fans:

Grrrr....Bartman!!!!....Grrr

I am a Braves fan, and it's incredibly upsetting to win all those divisions knowing another team from the same division won more WS in that stretch.

Grrrr...

np
    Hi Neon, I have to say growing up that I was a Braves fan. They were the only team close to Florida in the 70's. Dale Murphy, and Horner, the way he would turn on a curve ball!

But I've warmed up to the Marlins over the years. I didn't bite off until they beat the Yankers in '03.
  6. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    20 May '08 03:17
    Hi Neon, I have to say growing up that I was a Braves fan. They were the only team close to Florida in the 70's. Dale Murphy, and Horner, the way he would turn on a curve ball!

But I've warmed up to the Marlins over the years. I didn't bite off until they beat the Yankers in '03.
    70's Braves is a bit before my time. I really didn't get into watching baseball until the late 80's (My first game watched was game 6 '86 WS. Bill Buckner, what a crazy guy...)and the three teams I followed closely were the Braves, Cubs, and Mets (thanks to TBS, WGN, and WOR.) I grew up in Iowa so I felt no geographic loyalty. Then the greatest WS ever was played ('91) and as most of my family, friends and community were Twins fans, I had to go against everyone and root for the Braves and I've followed them ever since. Since '91, however, the next two greatest WS has to be '97 and '03, both of which were won by the Marlins. '01 was pretty exciting as well and of course there's the '95 with the Braves over Indians. It's always nice to see the NL win.

np
  7. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    20 May '08 03:21
    11-0 spanking of the Nats!

who'da thunk it?
    This IS the team formerly known as the Expos. Okay, I know it's been a couple of seasons, but still, this is a franchise that has finished I think once over .500 in the past 25 years (a strike shortened season, too.) I wouldn't be surprised if even the Royals beat them 11-0.

np
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 May '08 03:30
    70's Braves is a bit before my time. I really didn't get into watching baseball until the late 80's (My first game watched was game 6 '86 WS. Bill Buckner, what a crazy guy...)and the three teams I followed closely were the Braves, Cubs, and Mets (thanks to TBS, WGN, and WOR.) I grew up in Iowa so I felt no geographic loyalty. Then the greatest WS eve ...[text shortened]... 's the '95 with the Braves over Indians. It's always nice to see the NL win.

np
    i think the 01 series was WAY better than the other 3 listed.. i mean that game winning hit over jeter seemed to say in the air for an eternity..

and i think the nats also went 83-79 or so a few years ago..
  9. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    20 May '08 04:11
    This IS the team formerly known as the Expos. Okay, I know it's been a couple of seasons, but still, this is a franchise that has finished I think once over .500 in the past 25 years (a strike shortened season, too.) I wouldn't be surprised if even the Royals beat them 11-0.

np
    The Royals so far are not a bad team.. close to .500 now. Not much offense, but they're pitchers especially the bullpen show lots of promise. I got to see them here in Fla over the weekend. Nats aren't the worst team either, I can name at least 4 that are much worse.

I agree with you iron about the '01 series being good with the Yanks. I'm a little biased with the Marleens though..
  10. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    21 May '08 02:31
    Originally posted by irontigran
    i think the 01 series was WAY better than the other 3 listed.. i mean that game winning hit over jeter seemed to say in the air for an eternity..

and i think the nats also went 83-79 or so a few years ago..
    I would still have to put '91 over '01. Five one-run games, two going into extra innings with a 10-inning complete game shut-out to end it. And I wasn't even happy with the outcome and I think it's the greatest I have seen.

But I didn't watch much of the '01, either. I did at least listen to it on the radio. It was still an exciting series.

np
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 May '08 13:26
    who'da thunk it?
    Not me. I thought they'd be cellar-dwellers for sure. I also didn't expect San Diego to be the worst team in the NL.
  12. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    22 May '08 05:40
    And the D'backs go down, once again to the Marlins.
  13. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    23 May '08 02:06
    I MUST mention it all the naysayers.. Marlins swept the D'backs, who had the best record in baseball coming into Florida.. They scored 3 runs all series!

Anyone starting to notice?
  14. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    23 May '08 02:54
    I MUST mention it all the naysayers.. Marlins swept the D'backs, who had the best record in baseball coming into Florida.. They scored 3 runs all series!

Anyone starting to notice?
    great start. I don't think it will last. sorry, just my opinion. I predict they wont even be within 10 games of the NL east.
  15. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    23 May '08 02:57
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    great start. I don't think it will last. sorry, just my opinion. I predict they wont even be within 10 games of the NL east.
    Don't be sorry, you're probably right. They have basically the same players as last year, except for LOSING Cabrera and Willis. On paper, they should stink, and 162 games should bring that out.

But you must be impressed with what's happened so far!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree