1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 22:35
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    However, [b]fraudulent deception in baseball is not usually accepted or even allowed. One of your examples, Gaylord Perry, was ejected for throwing a spitball.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/P/Perry_Gaylord.stm

Rick Honeycutt of the LA Dodgers got caught using a thumbtack to scratch the cover of the ball, and was ...[text shortened]... creation and enforcement of rules shows that baseball in fact wishes to condemn such behavior.[/b]
    I thought this thread was about "cheaters" not being allowed in the Hall of Fame. Everyone knew Gaylord Perry and others were throwing balls with foreign substances on them, yet these players were allowed in the Hall of Fame. Care to tell me what is the difference between them and McGwire? Care to tell me what "fradulent deception" McGwire engaged in?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 23:171 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I thought this thread was about "cheaters" not being allowed in the Hall of Fame. Everyone knew Gaylord Perry and others were throwing balls with foreign substances on them, yet these players were allowed in the Hall of Fame. Care to tell me what is the difference between them and McGwire? Care to tell me what "fradulent deception" McGwire engaged in?
    IMO, Perry should not have been inducted into the Hall if it was so obvious he was a cheat. But that vote was 15 years ago, and it's a bit late to speak of undoing it now.

McGwire deceived and defrauded fans by claiming that weight training was the source of his newfound strength. He knew damn well his big Home Run race wouldn't have gone over with fans if he admitted he was on the juice. He refused to testify before Congress (essentially pleading the 5th). He used a federally banned substance (thereby violating one of those inconvenient rules outside of baseball).

Edit: Looks like there have been federal criminal penalties for use of 'roids starting in 1988:

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/08/baseballs-steroid-era-timeline.html
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 03:11
    IMO, Perry should not have been inducted into the Hall if it was so obvious he was a cheat. But that vote was 15 years ago, and it's a bit late to speak of undoing it now.

McGwire deceived and defrauded fans by claiming that weight training was the source of his newfound strength. He knew damn well his big Home Run race wouldn't have gone over with ...[text shortened]... ing in 1988:

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/08/baseballs-steroid-era-timeline.html
    Obviously fans weren't "cheated" of anything. The home run chase probably was the biggest reason baseball rebounded after the mid 1990's strike. I doubt most fans would have cared; it's mostly self-righteous whiny sportswriters even now doing the bellyaching.

Guess I missed McGwire's indictment, trial, conviction and sentencing. I think Babe Ruth and most of the players in the 20's used a "federally banned substance".
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 03:241 edit
    Tony LaRussa managed McGwire for virtually the latter's entire career. Here's his take on it: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6216872
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 13:15
    LaRussa is the most self interested guy there is. His two star players Canseco and McGwire are two of the biggest symbols there is. A trial isn't the only way to gather evidence. For example, a lot of people think OJ is guilty in spite of the trial.
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 16:02
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    McGwire cant get in, but not for the obvious reason. Big Mac is dirty to be sure, but the average fan can forgive him because he put a charge back in the game. But if they slide him in, they have to put Bonds in too. And there is no way that is going to happen. So tough luck Mark
    If they are going to let people like Bonds get in or even McGuire, then they need to let someone like Pete Rose in! Pete Rose deserves it just as much as some of these guys today if not more!
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:31
    Guess I missed McGwire's indictment, trial, conviction and sentencing. I think Babe Ruth and most of the players in the 20's used a "federally banned substance".
    You mean alcohol? Alcohol doesn't enhance athletic ability - quite the opposite, in fact.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:431 edit
    You mean alcohol? Alcohol doesn't enhance athletic ability - quite the opposite, in fact.
    So how come Ricky Williams was suspended for using marijuana? 😠

(It;s a non-sequitir)
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 20:17
    Originally posted by darvlay

(It;s a non-sequitir)
    How does one "use" marijuana?
  10. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 20:18
    Originally posted by darvlay

(It;s a non-sequitir)
    Pick it Pack it
    Fire it up.
    Come along,
    As I take hits from the Bong....
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 20:22
    Originally posted by uzless
    How does one "use" marijuana?
    Sprry. I meant "abuse".
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 23:211 edit
    No one said it did. However, YOU made this point as part of your justification for claiming Mac is a "cheater":

He used a federally banned substance (thereby violating one of those inconvenient rules outside of baseball).

The same rationale could be applied to those players (probably 90% of those playing in the 20's) who used alcohol during Prohibition. It was an "inconvenient rule outside of baseball" wasn't it?
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 23:54
    No one said it did. However, YOU made this point as part of your justification for claiming Mac is a "cheater":

He used a federally banned substance (thereby violating one of those inconvenient rules outside of baseball).

The same rationale could be applied to those players (probably 90% of those playing in the 20's) who used alcohol during Prohibition. It was an "inconvenient rule outside of baseball" wasn't it?
    Yes, as part of the justification, not all of it. I wouldn't call a marijuana-using player a cheat, but I might call him a criminal. The key difference is that there is no evidence that marijuana improves performance on the field.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 01:34
    Yes, as part of the justification, not all of it. I wouldn't call a marijuana-using player a cheat, but I might call him a criminal. The key difference is that there is no evidence that marijuana improves performance on the field.
    That's "key" how again? Actually, steroids don't improve performance on the field either.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 02:12
    you gotta be kidding steriods don't improve perfromance. I guess Ben Johnson just risked his career and health and set a world record in the 100 and it was a coincidence that he tested positive. McGwire and Bonds and Sosa just magically started hitting 60+ homers a season.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree