1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 04:301 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Repeat after me.....Dale Murphy πŸ˜‰
    You are an easy marker. Murphy is an outfielder who did not get 400 home runs or 1300 RBIs or even 2200 hits. He had a .265 career batting average and did not have speed. Sure, he is a really good .265 hitter but it takes more to be a hall of famer.
    The Hall of Fame is for guys like Ruth, Williams and Mays; not for every Murphy, Morris and Trammel who you personal like.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 05:59
    Originally posted by quackquack
    You are an easy marker. Murphy is an outfielder who did not get 400 home runs or 1300 RBIs or even 2200 hits. He had a .265 career batting average and did not have speed. Sure, he is a really good .265 hitter but it takes more to be a hall of famer.
    The Hall of Fame is for guys like Ruth, Williams and Mays; not for every Murphy, Morris and Trammel who you personal like.
    Well, let's take a look at the entire package then.

Yes he hit .265. He hit 398 HR and has 1,266 RBI and played for wrethched teams

He was also a seven time all star
    won five gold gloves
    won four silver slugger award
    won two MVP awards
    won the Roberto Clemente Award
    won the Lou Gehrig award

Now, when you look at the entire body of work it looks fairly impressive. I will just bet you I can find at least 25 hitters in the HOF whose numbers and portfolio aren't this good.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 15:26
    Well, let's take a look at the entire package then.

Yes he hit .265. He hit 398 HR and has 1,266 RBI and played for wrethched teams

He was also a seven time all star
    won five gold gloves
    won four silver slugger award
    won two MVP awards
    won the Roberto Clemente Award
    won the Lou Gehrig award

Now, when you look at the entire body of work it ...[text shortened]... et you I can find at least 25 hitters in the HOF whose numbers and portfolio aren't this good.
    Murphy's numbers are so similar (as was his game) to Dwight Evans. I just don't want to continually dilute the Hall.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 17:04
    Murphy's numbers are so similar (as was his game) to Dwight Evans. I just don't want to continually dilute the Hall.
    Oh come on. Dewey never was an MVP. That is apples and oranges. A lot of Dewey's numbers were achieved because he had Lynn, Rice, Fisk, and a supporting cast to feed off of. What did Murphy have??
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 20:06
    Oh come on. Dewey never was an MVP. That is apples and oranges. A lot of Dewey's numbers were achieved because he had Lynn, Rice, Fisk, and a supporting cast to feed off of. What did Murphy have??
    Evans and Murphy were as similar as any two players and murphy did not bat .265 because of the lineup; he batted .265 because he just wasn't a hall of fame caliber player. Ever time someone says this player should be in their are a ton of similar players who should go in. The next argument is Does a guy like Graig Nettles who was a tremendous third baseman ( a more important position and also hit in the 390- 400 home run range does he go in?) Then someone else argues for ROger Maris because he also was a good defensive outfield who won consecutive MVPs (and still has the season season non-performance enhanced home run record) Eventually you have to decide not to let someone in. I'd take Murphy. Look at his home run, RBI and batting average just leave him short and say those who are similar are short too.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 13:59
    Repeat after me.....Dale Murphy πŸ˜‰
    repeat after me...Pete Rose😏
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 14:21
    Evans and Murphy were as similar as any two players and murphy did not bat .265 because of the lineup; he batted .265 because he just wasn't a hall of fame caliber player. Ever time someone says this player should be in their are a ton of similar players who should go in. The next argument is Does a guy like Graig Nettles who was a tremendous third bas ...[text shortened]... run, RBI and batting average just leave him short and say those who are similar are short too.
    Evans actually has slightly better hitting numbers in HRs, RBIs, BA, OBP and SLG. Murphy was at the peak of his career a CF (and an excellent one) while Dewey played RF (and was an excellent RF). Both spent most of their careers having a home field that was very hitter friendly and contrary to SC's assertion, Murphy played on some pretty good hitting teams.

I don't think either deserve to be in the HOF, Murphy's two MVPs notwithstanding.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree