1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 13:08
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Funny, it wasn't that long ago that the Phillies were considered a small market team that had no chance of competing with the big spending Braves and Mets. Then all of a sudden in the last three years, they're a "big money" team that can't lose according to whodey. Has Philadelphia grown in size that much in the last 5 years?
    I know you're being facetious but in all seriousness, the Phillies have got the best GM in the game, baby. Wherever Pat Gillick goes, success follows.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 13:52
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I know you're being facetious but in all seriousness, the Phillies have got the best GM in the game, baby. Wherever Pat Gillick goes, success follows.
    You're behind the times; the fossil Gillick has been returned to the museum and Amaro is now the GM. Walt Jocketty, who will take the Reds all the way in 2010, is now by far the best GM.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 14:12
    You're behind the times; the fossil Gillick has been returned to the museum and Amaro is now the GM. Walt Jocketty, who will take the Reds all the way in 2010, is now by far the best GM.
    D'oh!

I stand corrected.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 15:01
    Walt Jocketty, who will take the Reds all the way in 2010, is now by far the best GM.[/b]
    Yet another bold prediction!!

My only question is, what are you smoking and where can I get some? 😛
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 15:27
    In all seriousness, what moves would you recommend a team like the Reds make for 2010?
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 17:42
    Originally posted by quackquack
    In all seriousness, what moves would you recommend a team like the Reds make for 2010?
    move to a better market -- perhaps Charlotte?

otherwise - do an in-depth study of the St Louis Cardinals and figure why they've done so well despite being in a small market. Then copy it as much as possible.
  7. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 19:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    Who is more pathectic? Is it the Mets or Cubs? Or should I say, which is cursed and which are run by a bunch of tards?
    The Mets were crippled with injuries. You couldn't expct them to compete with almost half there stating lineup out for the year. I don't hate the Mets, I just happen to root for that other New York team.😉
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 19:42
    Granted Jocketty is a fine GM, but he is not the best in the game in my opinion. The kid down in Tampa, Andrew Freidman, may be the brightest mind in the game now (along with Gerry Hunsicker in the background). Another young mind who deserves some consideration is Theo Epstein. I am also a believer in Dave Dombrowski as well. Ned Colletti and brian Sabean also deserve consideration.

This is not meant to be a knock on Jocketty, but the new breed (exclusive of Dombrowski) is the wave of the future in this game.

Also, if you are offering a cash wager on the Reds going all the way next year, give me a holler...I'll take your wager.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 20:242 edits
    One thing I'd do is invest tons of money into scouting personnel. You need to be able to make lots of great draft picks - which is all about scouting. And then you need to accurately predict which players are likely to make big comebacks from lousy years, or suddenly blossom out of current obscurity. These are people you can get cheap as free agents or in trades.

You need to sign at least of couple of "names" to make the fans want to sign of up for season ticket packages. Hire the best PR outfit you can find and come up with a way of making Cincinnati look like the second Garden of Eden. And you MUST find guys who will produce. Once again, you'll need great scouting.

I'm sure everyone has read Moneyball and has a team of stat geeks on hand to evaluate everyone accordingly. So you need to find the guy who's writing the sequel to Moneyball. He's probably some college kid in a dorm room with a blog that no one visits.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 21:20
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The Reds are close to contention NOW with the moves they made late in the season adding Rolen to play 3B, bringing up the dynamic rookie Stubbs to play CF and finally seeing Homer Bailey jell. To my mind, they need a starting SS who is a good offensive player who could hit 2nd; our present SS, Janish, is an excellent fielder but the worst hitting SS in the NL by far and this team needs offense. Orlando Cabrera would be an excellent fit though we'd probably need to trade a high salaried player to clear payroll room given our financial situation. I'd dump Harang and his $12 million salary to one of the big boys; he's won only 12 games the last two years after two fine years in 2006-07 but has good stuff and someone like the Yankees or Sux who have starting pitching issues might take him off our hands (what's $12 mil to them?). I'd like a veteran catcher with power who could challenge our presumptive starter Hanigan - a terrific defensive catcher who has a decent BA and high OBP but little pop (Ramon Hernandez has a club option for more money than Joe Mauer makes; no way the Reds pick that up). Miquel Olivo or Barajas are free agents that fit that bill.

Then we wait in line for the big trophy.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 22:13
    The Reds are close to contention NOW with the moves they made late in the season adding Rolen to play 3B, bringing up the dynamic rookie Stubbs to play CF and finally seeing Homer Bailey jell. To my mind, they need a starting SS who is a good offensive player who could hit 2nd; our present SS, Janish, is an excellent fielder but the worst hitting SS in t ...[text shortened]... s are free agents that fit that bill.

Then we wait in line for the big trophy.
    Hummmm

Mr. Stubbs played at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas
    Homer Bailey played high school ball in Brenham, Texas.
    Paul Janisch played at Rice (in Houston, Texas)
  12. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 23:44
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    One thing I'd do is invest tons of money into scouting personnel. You need to be able to make lots of great draft picks - which is all about scouting. And then you need to accurately predict which players are likely to make big comebacks from lousy years, or suddenly blossom out of current obscurity. These are people you can get cheap as free agents or in ...[text shortened]... Moneyball. He's probably some college kid in a dorm room with a blog that no one visits.
    You need to add investing in quality coaching in the minor league system. Even if every draft pick is dead-on, a team still needs someone to cultivate that talent and prep it properly for the big leagues.
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    10 Oct '09 01:20
    It'll take more than 9 yanks to beat my twinkie.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    10 Oct '09 04:08
    Here we go: Twins over Tigers in AL Central Playoff.

Yankees over Twins
    Sux over Angels (again)

Cards over Dodgers
    Rockies end Philly's reign

Throw your two cents in "experts". If I remember correctly, Darvlay managed to get every first round series wrong last y ...[text shortened]... ies right and every other series (including the League Championships and World Series) wrong.
    I hate to say it but spankees all the way.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Oct '09 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Hummmm

Mr. Stubbs played at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas
    Homer Bailey played high school ball in Brenham, Texas.
    Paul Janisch played at Rice (in Houston, Texas)
    You forgot young stud RF Jay Bruce who attended West Brook High School in Beaumont, Texas, where he was selected as a 3rd team High School All-American.

Arthur Rhodes was born in Waco a long, long time ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree