1. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 03:141 edit
    Trivia Question:

Who is the only player to win the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award, but NOT make First Team NBA All-Defense in the same season? (Yes, it has happened, but only once so far)
  2. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 09:28
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Trivia Question:

Who is the only player to win the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award, but NOT make First Team NBA All-Defense in the same season? (Yes, it has happened, but only once so far)
    Alvin Robertson? Do you know why they gave him the DPOY, but didn't put him on First Team All-D?
  3. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 10:15
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    Alvin Robertson? Do you know why they gave him the DPOY, but didn't put him on First Team All-D?
    Good job...actually, it's happened twice, I actually missed Robertson.

Also, Dikembe Mutombo was DPoY in 1995, and only made 2nd team all defense.

The reason for the discrepancy is because the All-Defensive teams are selected by the coaches of the NBA, whereas the DPoY is an award that is voted on by the writers and broadcasters of the league.

In checking the lists, I missed Robertson in 1986.

1986 NBA standings, playoff results, leaders and awards.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1986.html

1995 NBA info

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1995.html
  4. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 08:40
    you know it could happen again this year if Wade gets the DPOY. I am sure the coaches are going to put Kobe on first team all-defense.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 10:401 edit
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    you know it could happen again this year if Wade gets the DPOY. I am sure the coaches are going to put Kobe on first team all-defense.
    EDIT: Wrong thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree