1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 07:092 edits
    The acts were unspeakable. That's so far beyond dispute it shouldn't need to be said.

I'm sure that this has been discussed, but I missed it. Why does a private organization have the right to fine a government entity? If the NCAA can fine a member that is a publicly funded university - heavily, and through an extrajudicial process - for the misconduct of its officials, where does its power stop? Aren't they effectively fining the state government? After all, what's to stop a state legislator from throwing $60 million in Penn State's line item?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 15:251 edit
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    The acts were unspeakable. That's so far beyond dispute it shouldn't need to be said.

I'm sure that this has been discussed, but I missed it. Why does a private organization have the right to fine a government entity? If the NCAA can fine a member that is a publicly funded university - heavily, and through an extrajudicial process - for the misc ll, what's to stop a state legislator from throwing $60 million in Penn State's line item?
    I kind of like the idea. Now if we can just find a way to impose taxes on politicians in Washington all will be well with the world.

Oh, I forgot, they don't pay taxes. My bad. 😳
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 16:59
    Originally posted by sasquatch672

I'm sure that this has been discussed, but I missed it. Why does a private organization have the right to fine a government entity? If the NCAA can fine a member that is a publicly funded university - heavily, and through an extrajudicial process - for the misc ...[text shortened]... ll, what's to stop a state legislator from throwing $60 million in Penn State's line item?
    Penn State is a voluntary member of the NCAA. If they don't like its rules, they can leave (it's not "perpetual" and "inviolable" like the US).
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 21:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Penn State is a voluntary member of the NCAA. If they don't like its rules, they can leave (it's not "perpetual" and "inviolable" like the US).
    Yeah, ok...I can buy that. I don't feel strongly about it, especially in light of the circumstances.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree