1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 16:50
    I heard the other day that the NFL will be moving to a no salary cap policy. So are we to believe that the NFL now will end up being like MLB? Will we see the same teams year after mind numbing year in the playoffs, much like when the Cowboys and 49ers dominated the league back in the day?
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 21:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    I heard the other day that the NFL will be moving to a no salary cap policy. So are we to believe that the NFL now will end up being like MLB? Will we see the same teams year after mind numbing year in the playoffs, much like when the Cowboys and 49ers dominated the league back in the day?
    I don't see them doing it. The NFL prides itself on so-called parity between teams. A salary cap helps to ensure parity. Removing a salary cap would lead to the garbage in the MLB where you usually have the same elite teams playing against the odd one hit wonder.

Beyond that, having a higher league payroll wont' increase revenues for the owners...it will only increae their costs and cut profits. So what incentive would the league owners have in removing the salary cap?

The only ones that would benefit from a salary cap removal are they players, and since when have the nfl players had any power in the nfl???
  3. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 08:47
    Originally posted by uzless
    I don't see them doing it. The NFL prides itself on so-called parity between teams. A salary cap helps to ensure parity. Removing a salary cap would lead to the garbage in the MLB where you usually have the same elite teams playing against the odd one hit wonder.

Beyond that, having a higher league payroll wont' increase revenues for the owners...it wil ...[text shortened]... cap removal are they players, and since when have the nfl players had any power in the nfl???
    league owners are very wealthy, many with assets totaling at least the one billion american dollars mark. These guys would see increased expenses in the long run, but think about it. If Jerry Jones cracks his HUGE pocketbook opens and signs an all star squad by offering the best free agents more than his competitors can pay, he would have another dynasty in the makings (sound like the yankees in MLB? good, because it should). His big new stadium would sell out every game, and ta-dah! Jerry has made enough to pay his big contract guys with enough left over to further line his pockets. It's just an investment. Don't think for one minute that these owners would do this if they were gonna lose money. The less financially endowed teams would suffer. The Lions could become perrenial no-winners, while the wealthier franchises (the cowboys, the 49ers, etc.) get dynasty after dynasty.
  4. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 08:49
    ...The NFL prides itself on so-called parity between teams...
    More like, the NFL prides itself in taking any course of action which generates more revenue. A few teams loaded down with super stars makes more money than a lot of teams with relatively equal overall talent.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 17:381 edit
    Yes, imagine if the Patriots and the Colts made the playoffs every year. I would ruin the egalitarian nature of football.
    I understand different people like sports for different reasons but it is joke that some people here seem to only like to complain about money's influence on sports.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 18:53
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Yes, imagine if the Patriots and the Colts made the playoffs every year. I would ruin the egalitarian nature of football.
    I understand different people like sports for different reasons but it is joke that some people here seem to only like to complain about money's influence on sports.
    The joke is you still think of them as "sports" when, in fact, they are now just businesses.

The "sporting" aspect of this went out the window years ago.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 18:55
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    league owners are very wealthy, many with assets totaling at least the one billion american dollars mark. These guys would see increased expenses in the long run, but think about it. If Jerry Jones cracks his HUGE pocketbook opens and signs an all star squad by offering the best free agents more than his competitors can pay, he would have another ...[text shortened]... ners, while the wealthier franchises (the cowboys, the 49ers, etc.) get dynasty after dynasty.
    I was talking about owners in the plural sense. Any change to the CBA requires approval of the majority of owners. I don't see how the majority of owners would benefit from the removal of the salary cap.

No doubt the cowboys and a few others would end up making wads of cash like the yankees and red sox but not the majority.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 19:031 edit
    People watch on TV and go to games because they like the sport. No one attend other business such as microsoft meetings. Not even people who own shares and have a right to vote.

I actually hope they eliminate the salary caps and let owners pay players as much or as little as they see fit. Somehow it seems to work well in all other industries. I am so tired of NBA and NFL teams not being able to make moves because of restrictions on salaries. You don't need a draft and a cap. Let teams sign who they want (colleges sign who they want). All the good players will not all go to the same team. They will want to play or will compete for money or other factors. Artifical factors like salary caps simply make teams like the Patriots and Colts presevere their advanatges and let teams like the Lions say they are trying but really they stink every year.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 19:37
    I was talking about owners in the plural sense. Any change to the CBA requires approval of the majority of owners. I don't see how the majority of owners would benefit from the removal of the salary cap.

No doubt the cowboys and a few others would end up making wads of cash like the yankees and red sox but not the majority.
    The CBA is expiring hence the salary cap would expire with it.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Feb '10 21:11
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I can't imagine the 2011 football season being played without a new CBA.

I heard a players' rep on the radio the other day saying that they'd gladly take an extension of the current CBA.

So, if a compromise is reached, there's no question it will have a salary cap. The fight will be over the players' percentage of the gross revenues, which is now 53%.

Without a CBA, the owners will lock them out in 2011 and the season will be in jeopardy.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 16:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Right, but without a NEW cba, they don't play the season. You have to have a cba in place and I don't see the majority of owners putting a new cba in place that doesn't contain a salary cap.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 17:131 edit
    Would your opinions change about this if some billionaire from Dubai bought the Bengals and went on an all-out spending-blitz to get his team to the super bowl every other year?
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 06:44
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Would your opinions change about this if some billionaire from Dubai bought the Bengals and went on an all-out spending-blitz to get his team to the super bowl every other year?
    again, this scenario removes the sporting aspect out of the sport
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 22:22
    There is no salary cap this coming season. They would need a new CBA to get one going.
  15. Joined
    12 Feb '10
    Moves
    15 Feb '10 04:51
    :'(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree