1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10252
    22 Sep '14 00:03
    Shouldn't both teams get a shot with the ball? Seems silly to give a team a shot of winning a game in a 17 game season with a coin toss.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Sep '14 00:062 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Shouldn't both teams get a shot with the ball? Seems silly to give a team a shot of winning a game in a 17 game season with a coin toss.
    "Digest of Rules Main: Sudden Death

    The sudden death system of determining the winner shall prevail when score is tied at the end of the regulation playing time of all NFL games. The team scoring first during overtime play shall be the winner and the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown) or when a score is awarded by Referee for a palpably unfair act.

    At the end of regulation time the Referee will immediately toss coin at center of field in accordance with rules pertaining to the usual pregame toss. The captain of the visiting team will call the toss prior to the coin being flipped.

    Following a three-minute intermission after the end of the regulation game, play will be continued in 15-minute periods or until there is a score*. There is a two-minute intermission between subsequent periods. The teams change goals at the start of each period. Each team has three time outs per half and all general timing provisions apply as during a regular game. Disqualified players are not allowed to return.

    *Exception: In preseason and regular season games there shall be a maximum of 15 minutes of sudden death with two time outs instead of three. General provisions that apply for the fourth quarter will prevail. Try not attempted if touchdown scored. If there is no score in the 15 minutes, the game shall end in a tie." http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/suddendeath

    Edit Note: "NFL overtime format: The new rules are a complicated mess ... www.slate.com/.../nfl_overtime_format_the_new_rules_are_a_com...

    Nov 25, 2013 - The ostensible purpose of NFL overtime is 1) to declare a winner and avoid a tie ...
    And yet, the rules still favor the team that wins the coin toss." -Google NFL OT Rules/
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35574
    22 Sep '14 21:291 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Nov 25, 2013 - The ostensible purpose of NFL overtime is 1) to declare a winner and avoid a tie ...
    And yet, the rules still favor the team that wins the coin toss." -Google NFL OT Rules/
    And either team can win the coin toss. It is perfectly fair. Playing out another quarter is fair, since the only other viable alternative in the case of a tie would be to toss the coin and award the team winning the toss 1 point to eliminate the tie.

    Would these people whining about the OT rules rather see that?

    Edit: I'm not just talking about Trev here, we see this question brought up year after year, this crying about the OT rules.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10252
    23 Sep '14 00:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And either team can win the coin toss. It is perfectly fair.
    I could take on the Seahawks single handedly in a coin toss and have a 50/50 chance...

    It has happened before, touch down pass in the first play and the game is over. Forget the previous hour of football where both teams battled it out for a draw, a coin flip and single pass late and one of those teams have been robbed of a chance of the win.

    It's a 17 game season, this is the important factor, every game counts and luck should be brought down to the bare minimum possible.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    invigorated
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    23 Sep '14 03:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And either team can win the coin toss.
    Of course it's fair!

    ... why don't we decide chess draws on a coin toss too?
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    26 Sep '14 16:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Of course it's fair!

    ... why don't we decide chess draws on a coin toss too?
    Tiebreakers for chess draws are done by who's captured the most pieces by point count. If that's a tie and black wins!
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '11
    Moves
    10115
    27 Sep '14 05:32
    The game is not decided by the coin toss, every drive does not ensure a touchdown. The opposing team defense has the opportunity to get the ball back to their offense also. The rules were changed to "help" get both teams a chance to get the ball, no longer can a team kick a 50 yd field goal to win the game in OT, if they don't score a touchdown then the other team has a chance to score also. There's a reason they call it "sudden death" overtime.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    02 Oct '14 23:07
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Shouldn't both teams get a shot with the ball? Seems silly to give a team a shot of winning a game in a 17 game season with a coin toss.
    Getting to choose the better wind side is often adequate or almost adequate compensation for having to avoid giving up a TD to see the ball.

    BTW, NFL seasons are 16 games.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    02 Oct '14 23:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    Getting to choose the better wind side is often adequate or almost adequate compensation for having to avoid giving up a TD to see the ball.

    BTW, NFL seasons are 16 games.
    Care to compete, sh76? An anticipated late entry policy will assign the lowest point total for week's missed: Thread 160707
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10252
    03 Oct '14 15:22
    Originally posted by LetsPlayNow
    The game is not decided by the coin toss, every drive does not ensure a touchdown. The opposing team defense has the opportunity to get the ball back to their offense also. The rules were changed to "help" get both teams a chance to get the ball, no longer can a team kick a 50 yd field goal to win the game in OT, if they don't score a touchdown then the other team has a chance to score also. There's a reason they call it "sudden death" overtime.
    People are more tired in OT making is easier to score... just have to look at total points scored in the first and second half to back up that.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10252
    03 Oct '14 15:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    Getting to choose the better wind side is often adequate or almost adequate compensation for having to avoid giving up a TD to see the ball.

    BTW, NFL seasons are 16 games.
    I know, got mixed up with weeks and games.

    It should be a level playing field in all games, not just when it's windy.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    05 Oct '14 14:251 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Care to compete, sh76? An anticipated late entry policy will assign the lowest point total for week's missed: Thread 160707
    Thanks for the invite, but betting against the spread might as well be a coin flip. You can flip the coin for me. 🙂
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    05 Oct '14 14:25
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I know, got mixed up with weeks and games.

    It should be a level playing field in all games, not just when it's windy.
    You have a better idea?
  14. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    708
    11 Oct '14 02:40
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Shouldn't both teams get a shot with the ball? Seems silly to give a team a shot of winning a game in a 17 game season with a coin toss.
    the coin toss winner wins about 53% of the time... not a significant advantage. Defense is a side that you have to play during the game, making the coin toss more offense based would just ruin the game more than it already has been.
  15. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    14 Oct '14 06:04
    Here's a thought. Break any ties with stats. Come up with a formula such as most yards both on offence and defence combined or less penalties or something that could just end the game on stats?
    Lets say it's on total yards. This would encourage the teams to play hard on both sides, and the big plus is the game is over and no added chances for additional injuries.
    Just a thought....
Back to Top