1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10263
    20 Jul '09 01:42
    all very sad indeed.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    5542
    20 Jul '09 20:012 edits
    Originally posted by trev33
    all very sad indeed.
    let's put this into perspective -- someone who was 59 yrs old made it to a playoff before losing a major golf title.

    This might be the greatest "geriatric feat" in sports history. Has there been any other cases where someone this old has excelled this highly in any major (or minor) sport? Imagine a 59-yr old finishing 2nd in the New York Marathon -- or a 59-yr old losing in the finals of a major tennis event -- or a 59-yr old merely being a significant member of a team in any professional sport - or a 59-yr old fighting in a heavyweight title bout and losing by the closest of margins.

    actually....George Foreman is currently 60 -- maybe its time to dust off the gloves, down a couple of cheesburgers and make another go at it 😀
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    20 Jul '09 20:09
    Originally posted by trev33
    all very sad indeed.
    young punk doesn't understand history. very sad indeed
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Joined
    11 Mar '06
    Moves
    71817
    21 Jul '09 02:20
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    let's put this into perspective -- someone who was 59 yrs old made it to a playoff before losing a major golf title.

    This might be the greatest "geriatric feat" in sports history. Has there been any other cases where someone this old has excelled this highly in any major (or minor) sport? Imagine a 59-yr old finishing 2nd in the New York Marathon -- o ...[text shortened]... e its time to dust off the gloves, down a couple of cheesburgers and make another go at it 😀
    You have successful 50 + yr old NASCAR drivers.

    In bowling you have 50ish rollers who compete quite well.

    Al Oerter tossed his personal best shotput at the age of 43 and finished 4th in the USA qualifying at 44.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    21 Jul '09 03:46
    had Watson won it would have gone down as one of the greatest feats in the history of sport.

    It was sad watching him make that bogie on 18.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10263
    21 Jul '09 05:36
    Originally posted by Red Night
    had Watson won it would have gone down as one of the greatest feats in the history of sport.

    It was sad watching him make that bogie on 18.
    one of? for sure, best ever? possibly.

    18th really was key...westwood, wood and watson bogeying while cink making birdie. could never see watson holding it together in the played off, shame though.

    you have to question his decision to putt at the 18th though.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10263
    21 Jul '09 05:39
    Originally posted by badmoon
    You have successful 50 + yr old NASCAR drivers.

    In bowling you have 50ish rollers who compete quite well.

    Al Oerter tossed his personal best shotput at the age of 43 and finished 4th in the USA qualifying at 44.
    hardly the same is it?

    nascar you sit on your ass and drive, anyone would do that.

    plus a 44 yo shot-putter isn't that old considering they usually peak in their 30s plus 4th in the us qualitation isn't all that great in world terms.

    watson nearly beat all of the worlds best golfers at the age of 59 at one of the biggest tournaments there is. that's pretty special.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    5542
    21 Jul '09 14:401 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    You have successful 50 + yr old NASCAR drivers.

    In bowling you have 50ish rollers who compete quite well.

    Al Oerter tossed his personal best shotput at the age of 43 and finished 4th in the USA qualifying at 44.
    I would also throw in Dara Torres at 41 winning a silver medal in the 50m freestyle -- in an event that emphasizes reflexes and rapid acceleration, which are already in decline when you're in your early 20s

    but Watson's feat beats this

    59 is a long way from 50

    consider the difference in any sport between 30 and 39 -- huge -- and the aging process speeds up as you get older.
  9. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    21 Jul '09 17:22
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I would also throw in Dara Torres at 41 winning a silver medal in the 50m freestyle -- in an event that emphasizes reflexes and rapid acceleration, which are already in decline when you're in your early 20s

    but Watson's feat beats this

    59 is a long way from 50

    consider the difference in any sport between 30 and 39 -- huge -- and the aging process speeds up as you get older.
    like also to add martina navratolove winning the doubles at wimbalton at the age of 46 a few years back and also marline Ottey making the finals of the woemens 100m in the athletic world championships a few years back as well when she was 40
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26450
    23 Jul '09 17:51
    Originally posted by spurs73
    like also to add martina navratolove winning the doubles at wimbalton at the age of 46 a few years back and also marline Ottey making the finals of the woemens 100m in the athletic world championships a few years back as well when she was 40
    Don't forget Lester Piggot who was still winning horseraces at 79.
    [approx]
Back to Top