1. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 15:02
    So who's going to fill the last 3 spots?

Group A: Brazil, Greece, Lebanon
    Group B: Germany, Cape Verde, New Zealand
    Group C: Canada, Korea, Slovenia
    Group D: Cameroon, Croatia, Puerto Rico

2 teams of each group qualify to quarterfinals (Group A x Group B / Group C x Group D)

Already qualified teams: Argentina, Australia, Iran, Lithuania, Russia, Angola, China, Spain and USA.
  2. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 22:05
    Originally posted by monteirof
    So who's going to fill the last 3 spots?

Group A: Brazil, Greece, Lebanon
    Group B: Germany, Cape Verde, New Zealand
    Group C: Canada, Korea, Slovenia
    Group D: Cameroon, Croatia, Puerto Rico

2 teams of each group qualify to quarterfinals (Group A x Group B / Group C x Group D)

Already qualified teams: Argentina, Australia, Iran, Lithuania, Russia, Angola, China, Spain and USA.
    Its hard to say since I am not familiar with all of the teams, but I think the four European teams are the most likely to earn a spot in the Olympics. Among those four European teams I see Germany and Greece securing the first two spots, and Croatia, Slovenia, and Brazil fighting for that last spot.
  3. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 00:511 edit
    I agree with you, but i would add Puerto Rico with them.

I believe Greece is the only team that you can already count in the Olympics. It's a great team with experienced players and they have the home court advantage.

Germany is probably the second best team, but they depend too much of Nowitski and they are missing three players. The addition of Chris Kaman will make them stronger at the paint.

Slovenia and Croatia have very similar playing style, well balanced teams with some good players (Nesterovic had a terrific game today against Korea). But they are not at the level of the top european teams.

Puerto Rico is a good team, they have very talented players but sometimes not solid team work. Guards Arroyo, Barea and Ayuso are excelent players. Centers Ramos and Santiago are good too.

New Zealand may surprise again as they did on the last world championship. But I don't believe it very much.

Brazil is missing NBA players, we have a completely reformulated team with a new coach and some new players, but I liked what I have seen so far. Thiago Splitter is a very good center on both ends of the floor, probably the best big men of european basketball today. Point guard Marcelo Huertas is a rising star, have improved a lot in his last seasons for CSKA Moscow. Alex Garcia is a player with NBA experience, and if it was not due to injuries he would certainly still be playing for the Spurs, a very athletic shooting guard with good long range shots and a amazing defender (check out this block on Tim Duncan: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=DSIQjx5I2us ). Forward Marcelo Machado is the team leader, very experienced player, deadly on the three points line.

On the way to this tournament, Brazil played friendly matches loosing to Greece by 7 point in a very close game, and defeating Croatia.

I think we have a good chance. Quarterfinals probably against Germany is going to be the key game for Brazil.
  4. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 00:57
    Today's results:

NZL vs CPV 77-50
    KOR vs SLO 76-88
    CRO vs CMR 93-79
    GRE vs LIB 119-62

http://www.athens2008.fiba.com/
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 01:14
    DAMN! I had the Cape Verde Islands all the way in the office pool.:'(
  6. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 07:191 edit
    Originally posted by monteirof
    Brazil is missing NBA players, we have a completely reformulated team with a new coach and some new players, but I liked what I have seen so far. Thiago Splitter is a very good center on both ends of the floor, probably the best big men of european basketball today. Point guard Marcelo Huertas is a rising star, have improved a lot in his last seasons for C ...[text shortened]... d Marcelo Machado is the team leader, very experienced player, deadly on the three points line.
    Why isn't Leandro on your team?

*edit

n/m I looked it up. Well I had Brazil as one of the top teams at the qualifying tournament with the assumption that Barbosa was on the team. I am not so sure how they will fair without him, but at least you still have Tiago and Machado.
  7. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 14:16
    Barbosa, Varejão and Nenê claim to be injured. But there is many rumours that they don't want to play for the national team because of problems with other players. On FIBA America Championship Brazil had many off court problems between players (and that is a fact) and that clearly had effect on the court. They are great players and Brazil is a much stronger team with them, but without them the team seems to be in a better chemistry. Let's see if the results are also better!
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 21:35
    Brazil vs. Germany in the quarterfinals, thats a tough break for you Montierof.
  9. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 01:23
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    Brazil vs. Germany in the quarterfinals, thats a tough break for you Montierof.
    Yes it is, and the way the team played today vs Greece does not let me very optimistic... but let's see.

Nowitski scored 35 against New Zealand. We don't have a good power forward to guard him... Varejão could make things tough for him, but he's not on the team.
    If we don't make a special defence on him, with double team or something, he's going to torch us.

But... we have defeated them before
  10. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 01:041 edit
    Greece and Croatia reach the finals and go to the Olympics games, Germany and Puerto Rico decide the last spot.

Tough game for Germany, Puerto Rico defeated Slovenia and made a good game against Greece till the third quarter, where the greeks build a big advantage.

I hope Germany take the last spot. I would like to see a great player like Nowitzki in the Olympics.

And there is no way Greece is going to lose to Croatia. They are playing in an impressive rythm, very strong defense and an amazing transition game. When Papaloukas, Diamantidis and Spanoulis are on the court it's like playing with three point guards, all with amazing passing skills. They are a very strong candidate to the gold medal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree