Patriots are playing roulette

Patriots are playing roulette

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
05 Feb 09

This is ballsy as hell. I hope they have to eat the guy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9185248/Patriots-put-franchise-tag-on-QB-Cassel?MSNHPHMA

g

Moves
07 Feb 09

Originally posted by shortcircuit
This is ballsy as hell. I hope they have to eat the guy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9185248/Patriots-put-franchise-tag-on-QB-Cassel?MSNHPHMA
They'll get something for him. There's always a market for a great QB.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
08 Feb 09

Originally posted by golfer1
They'll get something for him. There's always a market for a great QB.
True, for a great QB...but we are talking about Jack Cassel, a lifetime journeyman who never started until the Pats had no option but to start him.

g

Moves
09 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by shortcircuit
True, for a great QB...but we are talking about Jack Cassel, a lifetime journeyman who never started until the Pats had no option but to start him.
So you're saying two straight 400 yard games and a 10-5 record when starting don't make you great? BTW: Matt, not Jack

g

Moves
09 Feb 09

So you're saying two straight 400 yard games and a 10-5 record when starting don't make you great? BTW: Matt, not Jack
As a rule it could be stated that true greatness is achieved in the playoffs.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
10 Feb 09

Sorry, his brother is Jack, a journeyman pitcher in MLB.

No, two 400 yard games and a 10-5 record with a damn good team does NOT make you a Franchise player. He hasn't even gone through his sophomore jinx yet.

M

Moves
17 Feb 09
2 edits

assuming that Brady bounces back completely from his injury, the Patriots will very likely be trading Cassel - and right now the demand for him will be very high and they don't want to just lose him for nothing.

it is true that you can't call him a "franchise player" off of one season - but for a team looking for a QB, Cassel is a much better bet than even a first round draft pick since he's actually had success at the pro level - and most of the successful draft picks usually take a year or two or more or development.

One team that could really use someone like Cassel would be the Jets, now that Favre has once again retired (for now at least)...but I'm sure Cassel won't go to any of the other AFC East teams.

Of course, the Patriots could trade Brady and get a boatload of high draft-picks and players - although this could be an indication that Brady hasn't recovered as well as they had hoped...

P

weedhopper

Moves
23 Feb 09

He reminds me of Clint Longley. 😉