1. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 20:32
    mark buehrle. first one i've ever watched! amazing catch in the 9th with one out by freshly substituted dewayne wise, too.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 20:56
    Originally posted by runninfiend
    mark buehrle. first one i've ever watched! amazing catch in the 9th with one out by freshly substituted dewayne wise, too.
    What a catch by Wise in CF! That was amazing. I saw one perfect game (on TV, not live)- the Cone PG in '99. This is one of the rarest of feats in sports.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 22:394 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    What a catch by Wise in CF! That was amazing. I saw one perfect game (on TV, not live)- the Cone PG in '99. This is one of the rarest of feats in sports.
    Perfect games are especially impressive when they occur in the AL in today's era of big offenses. And it's great when someone makes a great play to preserve it. But I would hate being one of the fielders late in the game....I'd be so nervous about committing an error on an easy play.

That Cone game also had an amazing catch with one out in the 9th inning. Ricky Ledee lost the ball in the sun and just stuck out his glove. And that the whole thing happened on a day they were honoring Don Larsen's world series perfect game. And that Cone's career declined siginficantly immediately after that game - almost like he made a deal with the fates.
  4. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 02:01
    What would have made Buehrle's game even better would be if the CF made that catch for the final out of the game.

I live in Florida, and was home that afternoon. I turned on the Rays' game around the 7th inning or so, and I saw that Buehrle had a perfect game going. So I watched the rest of it. What a catch that was in CF, just amazing
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 19:181 edit
    Robin Yount's diving catch to finish Juan Nieves' 1987 no-hitter comes to mind.

And after retiring the first 17 hitters in his ensuing start, Buehrle's total of 45 straight hitters retired is absolutely incredible -- that's Harvey Haddix plus three more innings worth of hitters

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree