1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 14:42
    I just heard today that Reggie Bush from USC will be stripped of his Heisman due to the scandels in and around the school. Apparently he was ineligable to play in 2005. It will be the first time in the 75 year history of the award that this has occured. I also heard that once the trophy is reclaimed, the award for that year will remain vacant.

From my perspecitve, even if he was eligable, the award should have gone to Vince Young hands down, so why not give the award to him?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 14:51
    With the likes of OJ and Reggie Bush to represent them, does this say something about the USC program? Are they the "bad boys" of college football?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 14:543 edits
    the Heisman trophy is a joke -- with very rare exceptions, it seems like you don't even qualify for consideration unless you're a running back or a quarterback. (Maybe this is because the trophy itself depicts a running back).

Clearly, the best players in college football aren't always confined to those two positions.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 15:04
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    the Heisman trophy is a joke -- with very rare exceptions, it seems like you don't even qualify for consideration unless you're a running back or a quarterback. (Maybe this is because the trophy itself depicts a running back).

Clearly, the best players in college football aren't always confined to those two positions.
    True. Everything in this world seems to be drowning in a cesspool of political poo. Having said that, it is apparent that USC has violated a great many rules. Is this the standard and they just got caught or are they the exception to the rule?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 02:28
    I think you are going to find this kind of stuff more often since the NCAA will no longer give the death penalty. What happened to USC? Not much. What happened to anyone involved? Nothing, they made huge bucks on the whole thing. They are laughing all the way to the bank.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 04:241 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I think you are going to find this kind of stuff more often since the NCAA will no longer give the death penalty. What happened to USC? Not much. What happened to anyone involved? Nothing, they made huge bucks on the whole thing. They are laughing all the way to the bank.
    Agreed. So I suppose other schools will be encouraged to do the same.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 12:32
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I agree that cheating in sports will continue as long as punishments are insufficient. But the NCAA actually does more than professional sports and should be (relatively) commended. Clemens should lose his Cy and Bonds should lsoe his MVPs. The NFL is even a bigger joke. Their rookie of the year tested positive for a banned substance. They re-voted and they decided he should win anyway.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 22:09
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I agree that cheating in sports will continue as long as punishments are insufficient. But the NCAA actually does more than professional sports and should be (relatively) commended. Clemens should lose his Cy and Bonds should lsoe his MVPs. The NFL is even a bigger joke. Their rookie of the year tested positive for a banned substance. They re-voted and they decided he should win anyway.
    What are you going on about Clemens? Which of his 7 CY's are you suggesting they take back? Are you claiming you believe he was dirty his entire career? Are you positive he was dirty at all? Would you be willing to bet your life on it? Either way you want to spin it, the guy was one of the greatest pitchers ever to take the mound.....period.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 03:211 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    What are you going on about Clemens? Which of his 7 CY's are you suggesting they take back? Are you claiming you believe he was dirty his entire career? Are you positive he was dirty at all? Would you be willing to bet your life on it? Either way you want to spin it, the guy was one of the greatest pitchers ever to take the mound.....period.
    Clemens is a cheater and it nullifies all of accomplishments. The evidence is overwhelming but a sentence on it does not hurt: The Mitchell report (an independent report), his former teammate (Petitte, his former trainer, Congress, prosecutors all came to the same conclusion. The NCAA and the Olympics do the right thing... athletes who cheat should be stripped of all honors. I'd take all 7 Cys (and give them to someone honorabe -- who was not caught cheating. I'd never allow his uniform number to be retired by any team, I certainly would not allow him in the Hall of Fame.

There is nothing great about Clemens (or Bonds, McGuire, Palmero or Sosa). They cheated and as such their achievements are meaningless and should be ignored.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree