Replay in MLB

Replay in MLB

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
31 Oct 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Why is Selig denying the inevitable?
It has nothing to do with tradition. It has nothing to do with 'the human element'. It has everything to do with the umpires' union.

w

Moves
01 Nov 09

Umps have been blowing an abnormal amount of calls in this year's playoffs. Is it time for baseball to embrace the advent of technology and expand instant replay to cover traps and close base-running calls?

I understand baseball is supposedly a game of tradition but I can't see any reason why MLB should dwell in the bronze age when it comes to employing ...[text shortened]... nes we've seen should never happen. It's an easy fix. Why is Selig denying the inevitable?
That's right. In a sport that now goes into November so they can sap every last cent from the fans they can muster, we now need to extend the season even further with instant replay. Brilliant!!

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
01 Nov 09
2 edits

Originally posted by whodey
That's right. In a sport that now goes into November so they can sap every last cent from the fans they can muster, we now need to extend the season even further with instant replay. Brilliant!!
You have it backwards, in my opinion. Bad calls in baseball directly result in the
extension of games. There's no good mechanism in baseball to keep managers and
coaches and players from arguing at length about a call that may or may not have
been wrong. Other sports have penalties for arguing that benefit the opposing team
(technical foul in basketball, penalty yards in football, points in tennis, etc.) but there
is nothing like that in baseball. You are either kicked out of a game or not. There's
no in between. When a manager argues a bad call for several minutes there is no
resulting positive penalty for the other team like a run or extra base. So, you
actually see games extended by bad calls. Instant replay, depending on its extent,
could cut down on game times if used properly.

Take last night's game for instance and the use of replay on A-Rod's double/HR --
Girardi popped out and instead of arguing vehemently for a call that may or may not
be reversed, instant replay was used (and used very quickly) to sort it out. Before
instant replay, if a HR call was overturned the opposing manager would often come
out and argue the reversal, extending the game even further. Last night, all Manual
could do was come out and get an explanation - no need to argue and extend the
game.

M

Moves
02 Nov 09

one reason we need replay is that you have so many times where the umpire blows a call -- and the replay is shown on the big screen so everyone in the ballpark clearly knows the umpire made a bad call.

It's really funny when the umpires are all huddling to discuss a difficult call and the replay is being shown and you wonder if any of the umpires would be tempted to take a peak....

q

Moves
02 Nov 09

I am not even sure how replay would work. For instance take the ball Howard trapped a few nights ago and threw wide toward second but Rollins caught it tagged Pasada and they called it a double paly even though it was trapped. What is the right call? Everyone is safe (what really happened). Second and third with two outs (what would have happened had the umpire not called it incorrectly forcing Howard to make a dumb throw). Do over (like a inadvertant whistle in football)? Even if a call is wrong. It is not always fixable.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
02 Nov 09

Umps have been blowing an abnormal amount of calls in this year's playoffs. Is it time for baseball to embrace the advent of technology and expand instant replay to cover traps and close base-running calls?

I understand baseball is supposedly a game of tradition but I can't see any reason why MLB should dwell in the bronze age when it comes to employing ...[text shortened]... nes we've seen should never happen. It's an easy fix. Why is Selig denying the inevitable?
Then you don't need umps at all other than for calling balls and strikes.

Why not just get rid of the other ones and have the replay guy make all the calls? The only way to do it is like they do in NFL and allow a team a certain amount of challenges per game. Otherwise, the umps are irrlevant.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
02 Nov 09

SC, the slippery slope theory only applies to gay marriage, not professional sports. 😛
Yes, we gotta make sure we stop people from marrying dogs

d

Moves
02 Nov 09

Originally posted by uzless
Then you don't need umps at all other than for calling balls and strikes.

Why not just get rid of the other ones and have the replay guy make all the calls? The only way to do it is like they do in NFL and allow a team a certain amount of challenges per game. Otherwise, the umps are irrlevant.
That goes right along with what Fleabitten said.