Moves
    04 Aug '07 00:19
    way overrated....watch his fights, youll see
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    04 Aug '07 10:20
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    way overrated....watch his fights, youll see
    agreed! Recently watched him in a fight. Huge TV build up.... said he was a legend.... disapointing fight as Matt Hughes bet him easy.

But he is old know... how good was he in his 20s?
  3. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '07 10:36
    Originally posted by spurs73
    agreed! Recently watched him in a fight. Huge TV build up.... said he was a legend.... disapointing fight as Matt Hughes bet him easy.

But he is old know... how good was he in his 20s?
    The only footage I have seen of him is from the old UFC, and he looked pretty unstoppable back then. He wasn't a 'spectacular' fighter, but wore his opponents down and then got them in some cheeky little hold. I don't think I saw him get beaten back then...
  4. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '07 20:37
    yeah, what i mean is they call him the "god of mma" not really true...
    he came into the game with the most suitable style, and fought with a bit of luck i believe...

ever seen the kimo fight?? ive analized that one over 100 times... the only way he wins is by leveling the position by pulling on his hair..

another thing he was lucky with was the superfight with ken shamrock, jugding was not introduced... anyone looking over a record sees a draw...it was a blowout, shamrock calls it his best win i believe

i like the older ufcs the best, so when i heard he was tested prositive for steriods it didnt suprise me... he could of fought clean an done ok, (he is 2-3 years older than liddell) but he pushed the limits...

i guess really the thing i hate the most about him is his poor sportsmanship...if he wins all the time youd think he could grow up....😠
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Aug '07 01:191 edit
    I really admire the Gracies and what they've done for MMA. Royce Gracie is a LEGEND, not a GOD. He fought in the cage without time limits, without weight classes, and few rules, and he demonstrated that pure strikers were grossly overrated. It wasn't that he got his opponent in "some cheeky little hold." He dominated his opponents on the ground. He used smart strategy and excellent technique to cancel out his weight and strength disadvantage. MMA is the sport it is today in great part because of his family's contributions.

Now having said that, he is not an invincible fighter (no one is). He has lost his fair share of matches over time, and as the newcomers incorporated Brazilian Jiujitsu into their game, his submission advantage diminished. Now all elite fighters are at least familiar with submissions and how to avoid them. Many of them are world class at it. The fact that Royce no longer dominates everyone (and hasn't for some time) is not an indictment of his value as a fighter, but rather of the tremendous growth in MMA's size and knowledge.
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '07 05:17
    Originally posted by telerion
    I really admire the Gracies and what they've done for MMA. Royce Gracie is a LEGEND, not a GOD. He fought in the cage without time limits, without weight classes, and few rules, and he demonstrated that pure strikers were grossly overrated. It wasn't that he got his opponent in "some cheeky little hold." He dominated his opponents on the ground. He use ...[text shortened]... his value as a fighter, but rather of the tremendous growth in MMA's size and knowledge.
    well said 🙂
  7. Joined
    03 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '07 08:221 edit
    rickson by armbar....😉

edit:Rickson is the GOD of MMA everybody knows that

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree