1. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 02:28
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    Even NZ is beating USA in the birds nest.. lol (enjoying the moment while it lasts)

Hardly sport thread stuff taking a swipe at Russia.. Listening to Ms Rice barking orders to Russia over their intrusion into Georgia I wondered if her home address were Disneyland or a junkyard kennel? It must surely be time for the US to back off the world scene, let th ...[text shortened]... yippee for Val.

China in the ladies gym are sensational... These games are wonderful.
    condajizza rice is responsible for 9/11 attacks. that makes here a terrorist in my eyes
  2. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 06:251 edit
    Originally posted by vacostner
    I agree, and not only did he win 8 golds, he set 7 new WR's and 1 new OR in these events as well. Track & field is the only other sport that someone could come close for the opportunity to win so many medals and that would be a rarity with athletes training towards specific disciplines. While I wouldn't classify him as the greatest athlete ever, he's definitely the best in his field.
    I would not classify him as the greatest athlete ever either. But I would classify him as the greatest Olympian and greatest swimmer in history. Astromalcio, yes he does have the advantage to compete in 8 different events while others don't but you say that if other sports had as many different events for one person to compete in than many other athletes would also have 7 or 8 gold medals. I disagree with that statement because it took 36 years for 1 SWIMMER to break a fellow swimmer's record of 7 gold medals so what makes you think that other athletes could do the same in their respective sports? To win 1 gold medal is an AMAZING achievment, but to win 8 is just phenomenal.
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 06:41
    I have seen other athletes do as well as did Phelps. Gregory Efthimios Louganis dominated two Olympics in the 10 meters Platform Diving. Louganis was awesome.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 08:24
    I think all we can say is that he is undoubtedly the best his sport has ever seen. Gold medals tallies accross different sports are hardly relevant (in absolute terms). The same goes for country tallies. When a gold medal in Decathlon has the same weight as a gold medal in Dressage, you know there's something wrong with it.
  5. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 08:56
    Didn't Tanni Grey Thompson win 11 golds (I think in one games)?

I wouldn't demonise anybody who overlooked this or said it was different but it would be very mean, credit where it's due.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 01:48
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Didn't Tanni Grey Thompson win 11 golds (I think in one games)?

I wouldn't demonise anybody who overlooked this or said it was different but it would be very mean, credit where it's due.
    Not in one games but over 5 Olympics - impressive bio on Wikipedia.

"Her Paralympic career began in 1998 in Seoul where she won a bronze medal in the 400m, and her last (and fifth) Paralympics was in Athens (2004) where she won 2 gold medals. In total in her Paralympic career she won 16 medals (11 gold, 4 silver and a bronze) and also 14 World Championship medals (7 Gold, 4 silver, and 3 Bronze)"
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 22:401 edit
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Phelps is ok but what is with the jab at Russia?
    Well we are currently pissed off at Russia for invading Georgia, I mean really, I have friends in Georgia, what are they going to do next, invade FLORIDA?
  8. 6yd box
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 15:01
    Originally posted by vacostner
    [. Track & field is the only other sport that someone could come close for the opportunity to win so many medals ...
    Not really, the best in T & A can do i about 5 100m, 200m long jump and the 2 relays.

Jess Ownes, Carl lewis and marion jones i think got 4 each.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree