1. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:43
    I know I can go to a skiing website for this but I'm sure there are members here who can help me equally, some of whom I know, perhaps.

I've just started skiing, I've been four times without any tuition and I think I'm quite good for a beginner.

My problem is turning right. I can turn left, and to be honest right when I have to, but my ski seems to be catching and it can be difficult to make turns.

Any advice?

PS Skiing here costs about $8, including equipment hire and ski-lift (all day). Use of the slope is free, you only pay for the lift. What does it cost in the Alps, for example?

asromacalcio
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:541 edit
    You grab Ricky and I'll grab Louie
    We're hitting the slopes for a ski-doggie-dooey
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:54
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    I know I can go to a skiing website for this but I'm sure there are members here who can help me equally, some of whom I know, perhaps.

I've just started skiing, I've been four times without any tuition and I think I'm quite good for a beginner.

My problem is turning right. I can turn left, and to be honest right when I have to, but my ski seems t ...[text shortened]... free, you only pay for the lift. What does it cost in the Alps, for example?

asromacalcio
    Turning left for a right handed person is always easier... even on a bike I power slide better turning left.

What you need to do is watch your feet and see what you're doing right when you ARE turning left. Try to reverse that and do the same thing for turning right.

Whatever edge you are catching, just try to lift that a hair. When I turn, I don't even put my inside ski on the ground, I power off the outside ski.

So, take a look at yourself, and try to do the same thing when turning right. You'll get it, but it will never be as easy as your left turn.

Good luck. For 8 bucks you should have plenty of time to figure it out.

Also, if you make a friend on the mountain, you can ask them to watch you and tell you what they think you might be doing wrong.

P-
  4. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:56
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Turning left for a right handed person is always easier... even on a bike I power slide better turning left.

What you need to do is watch your feet and see what you're doing right when you ARE turning left. Try to reverse that and do the same thing for turning right.

Whatever edge you are catching, just try to lift that a hair. When I turn, I don' ...[text shortened]... n, you can ask them to watch you and tell you what they think you might be doing wrong.

P-
    That all makes sense, thanks. I'll try to have more confidence in the turn, and rely on the outside leg.

Thanks
  5. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 14:59
    That all makes sense, thanks. I'll try to have more confidence in the turn, and rely on the outside leg.

Thanks
    You realize you are trusting phlab with your life, watch out for the trees 😛😉
  6. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 15:01
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    No trees on these slopes. I don't know why, although we are at almost 5000m. Kyrgyzstan doesn't seem to have that many trees, mostly steppe or Tien Shan.
  7. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 15:04
    No trees on these slopes. I don't know why, although we are at almost 5000m. Kyrgyzstan doesn't seem to have that many trees, mostly steppe or Tien Shan.
    8 bucks is awesome though. Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania is at least 50 for just a lift pass. And thats the sucky places.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 15:18
    Phlabby wobbles, but doesn't fall down...

He goes into a controlled dive!

P-
  9. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 17:15
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Phlabby wobbles, but doesn't fall down...

He goes into a controlled dive!

P-
    you've been taken down the mountain in the paramedic snowmobile, havn't you?
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 17:16
    you've been taken down the mountain in the paramedic snowmobile, havn't you?
    You do a lot of skiing, PK? Do you find you get a real bad case of friction burn on your hands from the poles?
  11. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 20:10
    Originally posted by darvlay
    You do a lot of skiing, PK? Do you find you get a real bad case of friction burn on your hands from the poles?
    I don't know, ask Flutie, I hear he sucks at skiing.
  12. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 20:41
    If you hit a tree, hit it hard. You don't want to limp away from it. Ask Sonny Bono.
  13. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 20:42
    Oh, and pre-roll your phatties. On the lift it may be windy. And that's a place for smoking them, not rolling them.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:39
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    Oh, and pre-roll your phatties. On the lift it may be windy. And that's a place for smoking them, not rolling them.
    YouTube
  15. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 23:13
    My advice to you is to lose, the sticks and go buy some snowboarding equipment. Skiing takes a long time to be good, much like chess. Snowboarding, on the other hand, takes only a couple of weeks to be hitting the double black diamonds.

Oh yeah. Buy a helmet. Your head is worth 50 Euro.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree