Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    06 Dec '10 18:52
    What a travesty this guy is not even in the top three for player of the year. Won the Serie A, Champions League, Cup and went to the semifinals with a less favoured than usual Netherlands winning a Bronze boot (3rd top scorer) and a Silver ball (2nd best player).

    The fawning over Barcelona has reached ridiculous heights.
  2. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    06 Dec '10 19:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What a travesty this guy is not even in the top three for player of the year. Won the Serie A, Champions League, Cup and went to the semifinals with a less favoured than usual Netherlands winning a Bronze boot (3rd top scorer) and a Silver ball (2nd best player).

    The fawning over Barcelona has reached ridiculous heights.
    They should've kept the 'Ballon d'Or' European players only, playing in Europe..FIFA could've had their own world equivalent. Cruijff, Best, Rummenigge et al all played on uncovered, unheated pitches, the modern game is unrecognisable in comparison and the modern striker too well catered for in terms of the above and the referees..the Brazilians rarely performed well in European winter conditions, saying most of the season is such.
    I only ever remember 'golden boot' top scorer and the 'golden ball' top player...silver and bronze awards appear to be another modern day anathema, in the classic sense...
  3. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    07 Dec '10 21:38
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What a travesty this guy is not even in the top three for player of the year. Won the Serie A, Champions League, Cup and went to the semifinals with a less favoured than usual Netherlands winning a Bronze boot (3rd top scorer) and a Silver ball (2nd best player).

    The fawning over Barcelona has reached ridiculous heights.
    I agree. The man won the CHL, the Italian league and cup, tied most scored goals in the WC, won silver medals with an average team and was voted Man of the Match in 4 out of 7 appearances in the WC. What is a guy to do to get a nomination? Play for Barcelona?
  4. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    08 Dec '10 08:31
    This sums it up very nicely:

    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/145/goalcom-features/2010/12/07/2249778/ballon-dor-debate-disgraceful-snub-of-wesley-sneijder-highlights-
  5. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    08 Dec '10 14:31
    Originally posted by Lundos
    This sums it up very nicely:

    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/145/goalcom-features/2010/12/07/2249778/ballon-dor-debate-disgraceful-snub-of-wesley-sneijder-highlights-
    I never thought I'd see the day goal.com would feature some intelligent comment.
  6. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    08 Dec '10 17:18
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I never thought I'd see the day goal.com would feature some intelligent comment.
    I must admit that I was surprised too, although Tim Collins used to write some decent columns about Arsenal.