Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 13 Dec '09 21:18
    Seriously...what was that about? Joke.
  2. 14 Dec '09 07:19
    i thought for sure button would win it... shows the state of f1 when an englishman wins it two years running and neither win sports personality of the year.

    haye to win it next year hen he becomes a proper world champion?
  3. 14 Dec '09 09:57
    I thought it was strange as well. A lifetime achievement award, fine. But this was a pretty strong year - just look at the number of world champions on the short-list.
  4. 14 Dec '09 10:15
    Historically the SPotY has always been a joke - it's mis-titled for starters!

    I don't think anyone really thinks of it as a meaningful award.
  5. 14 Dec '09 15:02
    I had to look it up:

    Awarded to the sportsperson "whose actions have most captured the public's imagination"

    So what did Giggs do exactly to capture the public's imagination?
  6. 14 Dec '09 20:39
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I had to look it up:

    Awarded to the sportsperson "whose actions have most captured the public's imagination"

    So what did Giggs do exactly to capture the public's imagination?
    Exactly!

    Actually he is a class act on the pitch - the joke is about all the idiot Man Utd fans who called the voting line just because...well he plays for Man Utd.
  7. 14 Dec '09 21:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Exactly!

    Actually he is a class act on the pitch - the joke is about all the idiot Man Utd fans who called the voting line just because...well he plays for Man Utd.
    Soccer is weird.
  8. 14 Dec '09 21:57
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I had to look it up:

    Awarded to the sportsperson "whose actions have most captured the public's imagination"

    So what did Giggs do exactly to capture the public's imagination?
    He's captured my imagination: if he can play for a top team at 36, there's still time for me. I'm going down the gym.
  9. 14 Dec '09 22:01
    Originally posted by blade68
    Historically the SPotY has always been a joke - it's mis-titled for starters!

    I don't think anyone really thinks of it as a meaningful award.
    Come on now it's not that bad. Maybe they should declare a void year or something when the year is so bad they have to resort to giving it to a royal, but I reckon it carries more weight than the nobel peace prize these days.
  10. 14 Dec '09 22:02
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    He's captured my imagination: if he can play for a top team at 36, there's still time for me. I'm going down the gym.
    A 'top' team? Idiot
  11. 16 Dec '09 11:53
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    He's captured my imagination: if he can play for a top team at 36, there's still time for me. I'm going down the gym.
    Good idea, apparently Rafa is on the look out!
  12. 16 Dec '09 11:54
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Come on now it's not that bad. Maybe they should declare a void year or something when the year is so bad they have to resort to giving it to a royal, but I reckon it carries more weight than the nobel peace prize these days.
    Oh come on... it's garbage...what are the viewing figures? Who can remember who won it last year, or the year before?

    The BBC should scrap it.
  13. 16 Dec '09 13:33
    Last year was Chris Hoy (triple gold medallist). Before that Joe Calzaghe (undefeated world champion). Your point?
  14. 16 Dec '09 17:31
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Last year was Chris Hoy (triple gold medallist). Before that Joe Calzaghe (undefeated world champion). Your point?
    I bet you had to look it up!
    If not, you should get out more!!!!

  15. 17 Dec '09 08:35
    surley it should have gone to dean windass.