1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 12:45
    England doesn’t have a very good soccer team, but we’ve always had world-class hooligans. And I think the English take a certain pride in that.

J.G. Ballard
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 15:272 edits
    I heard a quote from Woody Hayes, who was the former coach of the soon to be natinoal champion Ohio State Buckeyes, who said something to the effect, "Hit'em hard. Even if you are loosing or are going to loose, hit'em hard. That way if your opponent wins they will feel as though they actually did lose."
  3. where angels play
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 15:48
    Radio Merseyside interviewer to Bill Shankly:
    'Mr Shankly, why is it that your teams' unbeaten run has suddenly ended ... ?'
    Shankly: 'Why don't you go and jump in the lake ?'
  4. Leeds, UK
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 16:10
    "Sometimes in football you have to score goals." (Thierry Henry)

"The World Cup is a truly international event." (John Motson)

"We lost because we didn't win." (Ronaldo)

and just for balance (i.e. not soccer) my favourite:

"We now have exactly the same situation as we had at the start of the race, only exactly the opposite" (Murray Walker)
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 16:42
    The best sports quote I even heard was a coach who was asked "what he thought of his team's execution" and responded by saying that "he was for it"
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 17:50
    Coleman balls:

# That's the fastest time ever run - but it's not as fast as the world record.
    # Don't tell those coming in the final result of that fantastic match, but let's just have another look at Italy's winning goal.
    # For those of you watching who do not have television sets, live commentary is on Radio 2.
    # This is a truly international field, no Britons involved.
    # Both of the Villa scorers - Withe and Mortimer - were born in Liverpool as was the Villa manager Ron Saunders who was born in Birkenhead.
    # He's 31 this year - last year he was 30.
    # He won the bronze medal in the 1976 Olympics so he's used to being out in front.
    # We estimate, and this isn't an estimation, that Greta Waltz is 80 seconds behind.
    # Linford Christie's got a habit of pulling it out when it matters most.
    # The late start is due to the time.
    # He's got his hands on his knees and holds his head in despair.
    # He's even smaller in real life than he is on the track.
    # This could be a repeat of what will happen in the European games next week.
    # It's a battle with himself and with the ticking fingers of the clock.
    # Here are some names to look forward to - perhaps in the future.
    # In the Moscow Olympics Lasse Viren came in fifth and ran a champions race.
    # He just can't believe what's not happening to him.
    # One of the great unknown champions because very little is known about him.
    # There'll be only one winner now - in every sense.
    # He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before that in 62.
    # The big Cuban opened his legs and showed his class.
    # (At the velodrome) The front wheel crosses the fininsh line, closely followed by the back wheel.

http://www.btinternet.com/~homepage/ballsa.htm#cole
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 18:07
    'Hodge scored for Forest after 22 seconds - totally against the run of play.' - PETER LORENZO

'Shay Given has shaken off a broken nose to play.' - Grandstand reporter

'Ian Pearce has limped off with what looks like a shoulder injury.' - TONY COTTEE

'... and so they have not been able to improve their 100% record.' - reporter
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 18:35
    I can't remember the team nor the coach who gave a press conference after having seen his team take a thumping in college football say at the end of the interview, "Any more questions.......Questions?...................Answers?.........."

LOL
  9. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '06 18:42
    When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

Eric Cantona
  10. Standard memberSnowman606
    Playing badly
    Underground
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 12:02
    Commentator during a West Ham v Tottenham match

"Dicks (West Ham's then left-back) is all over the pitch this evening. Its like West Ham have 11 Dicks on the pitch" 😀
  11. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:28
    Ritchie Ashburn while commentating for the Phillies, had this to say when he found out a player slept with their bat the night before for luck: "I've slept with a lot of old bats in my time"
  12. over there
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 21:03
    "*Smack*"-Bobby Knight

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree