1. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 01:26
    picking a guy on past success and predicting who will do good in the playoffs. i thought it would be a year where a non QB-RB could be possibly picked, but they went with the same-old same-old. peyton wasnt even the best qb this year..
  2. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 02:001 edit
    The MVP award is not given because they think the winner will win the Super Bowl. Look at Brett Favre... 3 MVPs... one ring to show for it, although the Packers did win the Super Bowl in one of his MVP seasons.

I think Kurt Warner was the last MVP to also win the Super Bowl, when the Rams beat the Titans in 2000 (after the 1999 season).

Who do you think should have been MVP this season? Even though Manning ran away with the award voting, it was tough to single out just one standout player this year.
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 21:36
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    The MVP award is not given because they think the winner will win the Super Bowl. Look at Brett Favre... 3 MVPs... one ring to show for it, although the Packers did win the Super Bowl in one of his MVP seasons.

I think Kurt Warner was the last MVP to also win the Super Bowl, when the Rams beat the Titans in 2000 (after the 1999 season).

Who do you th ...[text shortened]... g ran away with the award voting, it was tough to single out just one standout player this year.
    yeah but favres teams then were monsters i believe back then.. supreme line and a defense with shaper and white right?

i agree that with such a mixed year its tough to single out 1 guy, but 32/50 for one guy seems pretty stacked 🙁
  4. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 11:11
    Originally posted by irontigran
    yeah but favres teams then were monsters i believe back then.. supreme line and a defense with shaper and white right?

i agree that with such a mixed year its tough to single out 1 guy, but 32/50 for one guy seems pretty stacked 🙁
    Yes, you're right about the Packers back then...great team, plus they played in a terrible division, which allowed them to dominate year after year.

And I agree about the vote totals themselves... 32/50 seems very stacked this year, when there wasn't an obvious choice. (no one else got more than 4 votes). It's as if a couple dozen voters really weren't sure this time around, and they all just happened to go with Peyton.

I don't know how much the voters communicate with each other about the award, but this just could have been one of those times where a large number of voters just happened to decide on the same guy, even though there was no obvious choice.

Plus, with NFL MVP voting, it's not like other sports, or college with the Heisman. You only have 50 voters, and there are no 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc place votes... each voter votes for one guy.

Fifty voters is a ridiculously small number to pick an MVP from a league as large as the NFL. And to not have a point system for votes beyond 1st place is rather silly.

It's possible that, with a point system, the outcome of the voting might have been different. But I don't think I could really fault anyone that would have won it this year.

This was the vote:

Peyton Manning: 32
    Chad Pennington: 4
    Michael Turner: 4
    Philip Rivers: 2
    Chris Johnson: 1
    Kurt Warner: 1

I think a lot of voters were probably impressed with Manning's ability to "win ugly" this year.... the team was in a shambles early on with injuries to the O-line, etc. Manning also never took a snap in the preseason (not as big a deal for him as it would be for other guys, obviously).

But the Colts did what they did without a running game this year, and the perception of his performance was enhanced because of that, plus the fact that Marvin Harrison really doesn't have it anymore (he still has excellent receivers though).

But the lopsided voting totals probably reflect the fact that each voter only votes for one guy, rather than reflecting any true dominance over the league by Manning.

Last year, of course, Brady won 49 of 50 votes... one guy voted for Favre. It was more ridiculous that Brady wasn't a unanimous choice that it was that Peyton won it this year.
  5. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 17:20
    I would have liked to see someone like Ed Reed win it, or maybe James Harrison.

I agree with OP, Peyton wasn't even the best QB this season, let alone best player. Rivers and Pennington were better QBs and Warner and Brees put up better numbers.

Its a bit of a sham really.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree