The Ashes

The Ashes

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E
YNWA

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
prick!
Just ignore the wind up merchant mate 🙂

E
YNWA

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by mtthw
That was the fourth highest total in a test from a losing team, ever. It was a horrible collapse, but to say the batting lost it is putting it way too strongly. We lost because we didn't take wickets.
I'm probably being far too pedantic here but I think we lost it due to the batting collapse and all the crazy decisions of that eng 2nd innings - save for that we would have got a draw. We didn't win because we didn't take wickets.

Yes I am being too pedantic 🙂

d

Moves
07 Dec 06

That was the fourth highest total in a test from a losing team, ever. It was a horrible collapse, but to say the batting lost it is putting it way too strongly. We lost because we didn't take wickets.

This is the point - Panesar doesn't have to outbowl Warne. All he has to do is outbowl an unfit, rusty, Ashley Giles. Or an unfit, rusty, Jimmy Anderson, ...[text shortened]... innings could have made all the difference. And that wouldn't have been too much to expect.
I disagree.

Quite simply BATTING cost the match.

You can say but if Monty had bowled Aus out for 300.
Well they may have followed on setting Eng a total to win and they still would have lost with the same collapse - who knows ?

Batting cost the match in 2 ways
1. Only scoring 260 on day 1.
2. The collapse.
You can not have a collapse like that and say I am putting it too strongly. Yes there are other factors but the biggest single factor by a country mile was batting.

It is pure speculation whether or not a couple of top order Aus wickets would have changed the result.

I was in favor of playing both spinners at Adelaide. Dropping Anderson for Monty. Anderson has been the worst of the bowlers so far except for maybe Harmy.

I agreed with Giles and no Monty for the Gabba (for reasons explained earlier)
I thought Giles and Monty for Adelaide.

But because of the situation Eng are in now it has to be an extra batter + monty. Or Monty and Mahmood.

For me I thought Monty was unlucky not to get in but I can see why he did it.

Another thing is nobody knows how Monty will react under pressure. Is the first ashes test in Aus the place to find out ?

Lets just hope he plays in the next one and we can all find out.

I

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by dan182
I disagree.

Well they may have followed on setting Eng a total to win and they still would have lost with the same collapse - who knows ?

2. The collapse.
You can not have a collapse like that an ...[text shortened]... Aus the place to find out ?

Lets just hope he plays in the next one and we can all find out.
Batting collapses are usually the result of players feeling under pressure. If Australia had been 350 all out in their 1st innings then where would the pressure be?

m

Moves
07 Dec 06
1 edit

I disagree.

2. The collapse.
The collapse lost us in the game, but it was the first innings batting that put us in a position where only a monumental collapse could lose it.

Offer me 680 runs in the match, and I'd take it, on any pitch, against any opposition.

m

Moves
07 Dec 06

Another thing is nobody knows how Monty will react under pressure. Is the first ashes test in Aus the place to find out ?
It's a hell of a better time to find out than the third Ashes test 2-0 down.

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
08 Dec 06

Damien Martyn just announced his immediate retirement from cricket today.
Why quit a side after such a magnificent win and playing at his home ground with a good chance to win the Ashes back?
Maybe the guy is depressed? There has been drama about him in the press or maybe he was pushed?
Curious.........

d

Moves
08 Dec 06

Originally posted by Ian68
Batting collapses are usually the result of players feeling under pressure. If Australia had been 350 all out in their 1st innings then where would the pressure be?
A BIG if

d

Moves
08 Dec 06

It's a hell of a better time to find out than the third Ashes test 2-0 down.
I don't think Fletcher was planning to be 2-0 down.

Again I say I think Monty should have played but the result in my mind would have been no different.

Warne struggled to take English wickets in the first innings, so why on earth do we think it would have been any different for Monty.

d

Moves
08 Dec 06

Originally posted by lordhighgus
Damien Martyn just announced his immediate retirement from cricket today.
Why quit a side after such a magnificent win and playing at his home ground with a good chance to win the Ashes back?
Maybe the guy is depressed? There has been drama about him in the press or maybe he was pushed?
Curious.........
That is a surprise indeed.

I am disappointed because when on form he along with Mark Waugh are the most elegant players I have seen.

d

Moves
08 Dec 06

A mixed day for Monty.

England's Test hopefuls suffered a mixed day as an ECB XI slumped to a seven-wicket defeat to Chairman's XI at Lilac Hill.

Monty Panesar weighed in with two wickets, but was smashed for 63 runs in his 10 overs; Chris Read went for a duck; Liam Plunkett and Sajid Mahmood failed to take a wicket; while Ed Joyce hit a useful 36 before being dismissed.

And it was left to 43-year-old former England captain Alec Stewart to produce the starring role for the tourists, with a top score of 69.

d

Moves
08 Dec 06

Now this is interesting.

http://home.skysports.com/ashes/article.aspx?hlid=433719&lid=8906&clid=3067&channel=Ashes&title=Monty+'vetoed+by+Flintoff'

d

Moves
08 Dec 06

I know stats don't always paint a clear picture however according to the stats Gilo has done most of what he was supposed to

Top 5 runs
1. Colly - 329
2. KP - 268
3. Bell - 136
4. Chef - 90
5. GILO - 74

Top 5 Wickets
1. Hoogy 10
2. Freddie - 7
3. GILO - 3
4. Anderson - 2
5. Harmy - 1

On that evidence it is Mahmood for Harmy and Monty for Anderson.

http://home.skysports.com/ashes/stats.aspx?hlid=429235&tid=2425&title=Current+Series&currentPlayers=1

E
Cognitive Junta

Moves
09 Dec 06
1 edit

Just watched the CA Chairmans XI v England XI. Monty and Mahmood were pretty avarage.

England lost.

Bowling O M R W Econ
LE Plunkett 7.3 1 46 0 6.13
J Lewis 7 0 51 0 7.28 (1nb)
SI Mahmood 10 0 49 0 4.90 (1nb, 1w)
MS Panesar 10 0 63 2 6.30
JWM Dalrymple 4 0 27 1 6.75
AJ Hollioake 1.4 0 18 0 10.80

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/engine/match/271731.html

E
Cognitive Junta

Moves
09 Dec 06

On other big news, Damien Martyn has retired from all cricket.

Maybe it was his time, but all i can say that i will miss watching him bat. Watching him time his shots to absolute perfection used to be amazing to watch.

So Symonds has been recalled to the test team, and Adam Voges (WA Cricketer) has been called into the test squad for the first time. He scored and impressive 71 of 89 balls against the English XI yesterday.