The Ashes

The Ashes

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
28 Nov 06

Well well it looks the Aussies are going to go with an unchanged squad.
Reason ?

Either the pitch is more seamer friendly or because of the injury to Shane Watson, my guess is a bit of both. I do feel for Stu Macgill.

England, they will defo drop Anderson for either Mahmood or Panesar

V
Thinking...

Odersfelt

Moves
28 Nov 06

Anderson used to be pretty good, what's happened to him?

Mahmood? 😞
OK, but never EVER let him near an ODI shirt ever again.
He bowled pretty good on the day I saw him at the Headingley Test earlier this year.

E
YNWA

Moves
28 Nov 06

Anderson was only ever good as a OD player, wasn't he? Keep him for the ODs and use Mahmood in the tests (hopefully to replace with Stuart Broad next year).

m

Moves
28 Nov 06

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
Anderson was only ever good as a OD player, wasn't he?

I think he started off OK, but then it all went wrong for some reason.

Just checked his figures. He played 7 tests in the summer of 2003, doing OK (while not spectacular), but has only played another 7 since then.

d

Moves
28 Nov 06

Anderson was only ever good as a OD player, wasn't he? Keep him for the ODs and use Mahmood in the tests (hopefully to replace with Stuart Broad next year).
Fletcher picked the side according to conditions.

1. Giles - finger spin at the Gabba is most likely not going to win a match here.

2. Anderson - They expected swing but there was none, except a little with the 2nd new ball.

For the Oval I am expecting both Giles and Panesar to player here.
If the pitch does not look like it is going to spin much then I would expect the only change to be Mahmood for Anderson. If it is going to spin then Panesar for Anderson.

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
29 Nov 06

In Adelaide winning the toss is paramount as it is a good batting wicket. Wont take much spin till late in the game (traditionally). Aostralia will take the same side into this game. The weak link in Australia at the moment is Brett Lee who is expensive and hasnt taken too many English wickets over his career.

d

Moves
30 Nov 06

Bring on the 2nd test.

My predictions.

If England win the toss - a draw.
If Aus win the toss - an Aus victory.
Monty to get slaughtered.
Hayden to get a 100.
Harmison to find some form.

m

Moves
30 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by dan182
Bring on the 2nd test.

My predictions.

If England win the toss - a draw.
If Aus win the toss - an Aus victory.
Monty to get slaughtered.
Hayden to get a 100.
Harmison to find some form.
Probably not far off, except for the third one. Every recent ashes series I've heard "Giles is going to get slaughtered" from Australians beforehand. It's never happened. Panesar's a better bowler, and it probably won't happen to him either.

I hope you're right about Harmison though. And England really need to win the toss.

E
YNWA

Moves
30 Nov 06

Bloody toss system, the umpires might as well say, 'It's heads. Right you've won the game, lets go home (to separate homes)'. We could have just one toss at the start of the series, then the choice of whether to bat/bowl first should be alternated between the teams for all the following tests.

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
01 Dec 06

Good day for the land of the Engs.
Won the toss, batted and England 266/3 (90.0 ov).
Collingwood on a very nice 98 not out, with Pieterson on 60 N.O.
Always a batsman paradise. Solid start.

d

Moves
01 Dec 06

I woke this morning and was shocked to find Anderson had kept his place and Monty missed out.

I agreed with the team for the Gabba but not this time.

However a solid start and I hope Colly gets his ton. The downside for England is the run rate, they would like to have been about 320/360.

I am going to stick with a draw.

d

Moves
01 Dec 06

Bloody toss system, the umpires might as well say, 'It's heads. Right you've won the game, lets go home (to separate homes)'. We could have just one toss at the start of the series, then the choice of whether to bat/bowl first should be alternated between the teams for all the following tests.
I like the toss system

I

Moves
02 Dec 06

Paul Collingwood scores England's first double century in a test in Australia for 70 years.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
02 Dec 06

Originally posted by Ian68
Paul Collingwood scores England's first double century in a test in Australia for 70 years.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂
Was well played.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
02 Dec 06

Originally posted by dan182
I woke this morning and was shocked to find Anderson had kept his place and Monty missed out.

I agreed with the team for the Gabba but not this time.

However a solid start and I hope Colly gets his ton. The downside for England is the run rate, they would like to have been about 320/360.

I am going to stick with a draw.
Shame the track is so dead.It is diffcult to see 19 wickets falling on that pitch so a draw looks probable.

Monty we need you now.

I agree with LFC about the toss system. I hear the Perth pitch is dead too. What happened to those lively bouncey Oval style Aussies wickets?