Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    13 Feb '12 12:32 / 1 edit
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/tiger-woods-melts-down-spectacular-fashion-pebble-beach-001223966.html

    It seems like every time Mr. Woods get close to winning these days, something gets in his head, and he enters loser land. I'm aware Mr. Woods won a tournament awhile back, but it seems like Mr. Woods is having trouble with his mental situation on the golf course. I'm no Tiger Woods fan, frankly I think he's a arrogent, disrespectful jackass, but after so many meltdowns the last 2 years or so, I'm (almost) beginning to feel sorry for him.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Feb '12 14:15
    Originally posted by bill718
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/tiger-woods-melts-down-spectacular-fashion-pebble-beach-001223966.html

    It seems like every time Mr. Woods get close to winning these days, something gets in his head, and he enters loser land. I'm aware Mr. Woods won a tournament awhile back, but it seems like Mr. Woods is having trouble with his mental ...[text shortened]... r so many meltdowns the last 2 years or so, I'm (almost) beginning to feel sorry for him.
    Tiger's problem is that he got too rich and too famous too fast. He was so young when he burst on the scene that he never had a chance to learn humility. What he later found out is that, as much as the American media loves to build a superstar, they love even more to tear him down.
  3. 15 Feb '12 03:11
    Originally posted by sh76
    Tiger's problem is that he got too rich and too famous too fast. He was so young when he burst on the scene that he never had a chance to learn humility. What he later found out is that, as much as the American media loves to build a superstar, they love even more to tear him down.
    I think he got a taste of humility from his ex.

    One of the biggest problems with people who have money is that you rarely get your arse ripped for things you should. You inevitably become surrounded by "yes" men and women who only want a check from you.

    It goes something like this.

    "What do you say I buy the Elephant man?"

    "Sure, sounds good."

    "How about I sleep in hyperbaric chambers every night?"

    "Yep, you the man."

    "In fact, how about a dose of propofol to help me sleep at night?"

    "Just say when and where."

    Of course, this all comes to an abrupt hault with an angry wife at the other end of a golf club.
  4. Standard member boarman
    member 001
    20 Feb '12 10:56
    Maybe Tiger is having flashbacks and he only has 18 holes on his mind and they are not on the golf course.
  5. 22 Feb '12 02:03
    Originally posted by boarman
    Maybe Tiger is having flashbacks and he only has 18 holes on his mind and they are not on the golf course.
    Eldricks' doctor got caught at the border. He hasnt won anything significant since.
  6. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    24 Feb '12 23:51
    He just got to go back to what he was doing when he was married.

    He was winning everything then!
  7. 28 Feb '12 21:32
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    He just got to go back to what he was doing when he was married.
    But... you can't cheat on your wife when she's no longer your wife!

    Richard
  8. 28 Feb '12 22:40
    Originally posted by sh76
    ...What he later found out is that, as much as the American media
    loves to build a superstar, they love even more to tear him down.
    I suspect that's more true of the British media than the American media.
    The British tabloids have a harsher reputation than the American tabloids.

    It also depends on who's the 'superstar'. I have not noticed the American
    media (as opposed to, say, the French media) being eager at all to 'tear down'
    Lance Armstrong, even though some Americans have accused or suspected him
    of having used performance-enhancing drugs. Instead, Lance Armstrong seems
    to have been given every possible benefit of the doubt in the American media.
  9. 28 Feb '12 22:51 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I suspect that's more true of the British media than the American media.
    The British tabloids have a harsher reputation than the American tabloids.

    It also depends on who's the 'superstar'. I have not noticed the American
    media (as opposed to, say, the French media) being eager at all to 'tear down'
    Lance Armstrong, even though some Americans have ...[text shortened]... trong seems
    to have been given every possible benefit of the doubt in the American media.
    That is only one example and it is a biased example. Nobody in America wants to bring Lance Armstrong down because of what he went through. People would rather believe that he did it without performance enhancing drugs because it makes themselves feel better.

    In other words, his story is a feel-good story that nobody in America wants to wreck because they feel he somehow represents what it is to be american.
  10. 28 Feb '12 23:51 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    That is only one example and it is a biased example. Nobody in America wants to bring Lance Armstrong down because of what he went through. People would rather believe that he did it without performance enhancing drugs because it makes themselves feel better.

    In other words, his story is a feel-good story that nobody in America wants to wreck because they feel he somehow represents what it is to be american.
    Either Tomtom232 has misunderstood what I wrote or he prefers to distort it
    in order to attack me again. Here's the context:

    sh27 wrote: "...as much as the American media loves to build up a superstar,
    they love even more to tear him down."
    I simply pointed out that it's not necessarily true that the American media
    "loves even more to tear down" a superstar. I wrote: "It also depends on
    who's the superstar." And then I cited the case of Lance Armstrong.

    Contrary to what Tomtom232 seems to imply (with his usual bias against me) ,
    I was *not* attempting to claim that every American superstar in sports would
    receive the same generally deferential treatment accorded to Lance Armstrong.
    I cited the case of Lance Armstrong as only a counterexample to sh27's claim.

    Yes, I was aware of Lance Armstrong's personal story. I also am aware that
    several of his former teammates (of varying credibility)--Floyd Landis, Tyler
    Hamilton, Franke Andreu, and George Hincapie--reportedly have stated that they
    have knowledge of Lance Armstrong having used performance-enhancing drugs.
    Recently, the US government closed its investigation without filing any charges.
  11. 29 Feb '12 02:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Either Tomtom232 has misunderstood what I wrote or he prefers to distort it
    in order to attack me again. Here's the context:

    sh27 wrote: "...as much as the American media loves to build up a superstar,
    they love even more to tear him down."
    I simply pointed out that it's not necessarily true that the American media
    "loves even more to tear down" a gs.
    Recently, the US government closed its investigation without filing any charges.
    See, now you're distorting what I wrote. 90% of what you wrote has no bearing on my post.


    PS You're the one who is always biased against me.

    PPS Women shouldn't have equal rights.
  12. 29 Feb '12 02:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    See, now you're distorting what I wrote. 90% of what you wrote has no bearing on my post.
    My original post in this thread had nothing whatsoever to do with Tomtom232.
    Apparently, however, Tomtom232 finds it too hard for him to resist jumping
    at any opportunity, however fleeting, to attack me again.

    I usually write for the general reader. My writing's not limited to and it does not
    revolve around whatever Tomtom232 writes, however absurd he often may be.
    I already know from ample experience that Tomtom232 seems incapable of
    admitting any error, let alone of offering any apology, at least toward me.

    On 28 February 2012 in "Only Chess", ShallowBlue wrote to Tomtom232:
    "Way to go making yourself look even more prejudiced and close-minded
    than Hindsey, tom. And believe me, that takes some doing."

    I doubt that Tomtom232 has anything relevant to write (about Lance Armstrong),
    and I have been advised not to waste more of my time by feeding the troll.
  13. 29 Feb '12 02:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    My original post in this thread had nothing whatsoever to do with Tomtom232.
    Apparently, however, Tomtom232 finds it too hard for him to resist jumping
    at any opportunity, however fleeting, to attack me again.

    I usually write for the general reader. My writing's not limited to and it does not
    revolve around whatever Tomtom232 writes, however absurd ...[text shortened]... seems incapable of
    admitting any error, let alone of offering any apology, at least toward me.
    Hilarious. You are much too serious.
  14. 01 Mar '12 03:01
    Originally posted by bill718
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/tiger-woods-melts-down-spectacular-fashion-pebble-beach-001223966.html

    It seems like every time Mr. Woods get close to winning these days, something gets in his head, and he enters loser land. I'm aware Mr. Woods won a tournament awhile back, but it seems like Mr. Woods is having trouble with his mental ...[text shortened]... r so many meltdowns the last 2 years or so, I'm (almost) beginning to feel sorry for him.
    Youre a beauty?????Really???? Not only has Eldrick fallen to the 178th best player in the world, he seems to have taken quite the nosedive on the cute remarks list also. Anyone see any articles about Eldrick losing in the second round of match play last week? When he won in the first round, you would have thought he had just won the grand slam% Somebody, paleeeze, get this whoremonger some peds, he has some Jack-chasin to do, and pedless talent isnt going to cut it! Go, Eldrick go! Go, Eldrick go! Snap hook that ho! Go, Eldrick go!....Daddy, Daddy! Why cant you come home to us and mommy? Go, Eldrick o! Go, Eldrick go!
  15. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    26 Mar '12 12:40
    Originally posted by mudpie
    Youre a beauty?????Really???? Not only has Eldrick fallen to the 178th best player in the world, he seems to have taken quite the nosedive on the cute remarks list also. Anyone see any articles about Eldrick losing in the second round of match play last week? When he won in the first round, you would have thought he had just won the grand slam% Somebody, pa ...[text shortened]... go!....Daddy, Daddy! Why cant you come home to us and mommy? Go, Eldrick o! Go, Eldrick go!
    Tiger has risen back to #6 in the world.

    Quite a meteoric rise, don't you think??

    You sure have been quiet mudpie.