1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 01:471 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    You are right there is no point in discussing things with you becuase you intentionally misrepresent my points.

I never said the AL West was the toughest division (although half the teams made the playoffs and three quarters of the teams had better records than the Tigers). I simply said the Tigers played in a much worse division and had a worse reco ...[text shortened]... MVP. If relevant (you brought it up) it supports my general argument of what matters for MVPs/
    NO Posey won it because the Giants made it to the playoffs and he was the leader
    once Melky Cabrera was suspended for the last 60 games of the season.

McCutcheon's Pirates did not reach the playoffs, BUT, based on YOUR arguments,
    McCutcheon was far more valuable to Pittsgurgh's efforts than Posey was to SF.
    That is not diminishing Posey's work, just saying SF had many more bats to help with
    than did Pittsburgh.

Your turn.

EDIT: And the NL West was a weaker division than both the Central and the East. 😛
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 13:481 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    NO Posey won it because the Giants made it to the playoffs and he was the leader
    once Melky Cabrera was suspended for the last 60 games of the season.

McCutcheon's Pirates did not reach the playoffs, BUT, based on YOUR arguments,
    McCutcheon was far more valuable to Pittsgurgh's efforts than Posey was to SF.
    That is not diminishing Posey's work, ju ...[text shortened]... r turn.

EDIT: And the NL West was a weaker division than both the Central and the East. 😛
    This is easy. Posey won because he had monstrorous numbers and is a catcher who won the batting title. He gets credit for being the #1 offensive player and the guy who catches a staff that had excellent production. McCutchen is an outfield who had an excellent season but I can't see how you could argue he was Posey.

Both the NL west and the NL Central aren't great but the NL Central really stinks: Houston and Chicago were a combined 92 games below .500 and that inflated Cincinanati and St. Louis' win totals.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 13:531 edit
    This is easy. Posey won because he had monstrorous numbers and is a catcher who won the batting title. He gets credit for being the #1 offensive player and the guy who catches a staff that had excellent production. McCutchen is an outfield who had an excellent season but I can't see how you could argue he was Posey.
    Oh please!! Posey was #2 hitter on the Giants all season. Melky had to request to be
    dropped from consideration for the batting title, or Posey doesn't win it.

And, using YOUR argument, explain to me how Posey won more games for SF than
    McCutcheon did for Pittsburgh??

EDIT: Feel free to do all of your computations because McCutcheon's steals numbers
    were better than Posey's, his defense in the OF should also be factored in as well.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 14:11
    Oh please!! Posey was #2 hitter on the Giants all season. Melky had to request to be
    dropped from consideration for the batting title, or Posey doesn't win it.

And, using YOUR argument, explain to me how Posey won more games for SF than
    McCutcheon did for Pittsburgh??

EDIT: Feel free to do all of your computations because McCutcheon's steals numbers
    were better than Posey's, his defense in the OF should also be factored in as well.
    First of all, Melky is a cheater and his numbers simply should not count. Baseball normally does not take performance enhancer seriously enough. But I am always for denying people caught cheating with any benefits they may have falsely gained.

I'd argue that a good defensive catcher is more important than a good defensive outfielder. Posey changes the game more by his defense and controlling the pitching staff than an outfielder even an excellent one like McCuttchen. McCuttchen did play on a worse team and certainly is a better base runner. I'd be willing to balance all those factors but in the end I'd pick Posey. At least now in the NL MVP race we are talk about relevant things (on the field factors of the actual players).

In the AL MVP race you talk about playoffs but ignore schedule and which team had a better record, you ignore defense, base running, runs and on base percentage.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 19:24
    First of all, Melky is a cheater and his numbers simply should not count. Baseball normally does not take performance enhancer seriously enough. But I am always for denying people caught cheating with any benefits they may have falsely gained.

I'd argue that a good defensive catcher is more important than a good defensive outfielder. Posey changes ...[text shortened]... hich team had a better record, you ignore defense, base running, runs and on base percentage.
    NO, re-read my first statement on the NL.

I said Posey got it because the Giants made the playoffs.
    Had Pittsburgh have made the playoffs, McCutcheon would have won it, more than likely.

I went on to say that I took nothing away from Posey's numbers, BUT, SF had many
    more tools than Posey, and Posey did not carry them. McCutcheon carried Pittsburgh.
    McCutcheon was more valuable to his team than Posey was to the Giants.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '12 21:49
    NO, re-read my first statement on the NL.

I said Posey got it because the Giants made the playoffs.
    Had Pittsburgh have made the playoffs, McCutcheon would have won it, more than likely.

I went on to say that I took nothing away from Posey's numbers, BUT, SF had many
    more tools than Posey, and Posey did not carry them. McCutcheon carried Pittsburgh.
    McCutcheon was more valuable to his team than Posey was to the Giants.
    I re-read your statement and it still is not true.

Teams aren't carried; a bunch of players contribute or fail to contribue.
    Posey had a better year than McCutchen (I already told you why I thought so) -- that makes him more valuable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree