1. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 04:16
    So this looks to be possibly the next dream team? What do ya'll think?
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 04:38
    Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
    Why isn't there a single Celtic on the team?
  3. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 05:34
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3457058

They should go farther than the last team. Anything is better than the embarrassment of losing to Puerto Rico and Lithuania with the amount of talent we put on the floor. I would say the best thing about this team is Coach K is leading it.

However, Wade is coming off a knee injury and I'm not convinced Kobe is a great teammate.

The biggest thing to overcome from the last olympics is playing as a team. I think Coach K is one of only a few who can accomplish this with this group of players.

np
  4. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 05:59
    You hit the nail on the head, playing as a team. I don't know why they don't take our best team (the Celtics) and let them play.

It would be no contest.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 12:39
    The team has only one legit center though Howard is a great one. And only two power forwards. If they face a team that can bang inside and get some of the big men in foul trouble, they'll have to rely on jump shots and that's always dicey. Prince seems out of place on this squad and his spot should have gone to a big man.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 13:03
    I think that the US feels it has the best athletes as basketball player in the world and after last time wants more outside that inside game.
  7. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 16:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The team has only one legit center though Howard is a great one. And only two power forwards. If they face a team that can bang inside and get some of the big men in foul trouble, they'll have to rely on jump shots and that's always dicey. Prince seems out of place on this squad and his spot should have gone to a big man.
    I think Prince is a great addition to the squad because he is a great defensive player. He may not be as good a scorer but basketball is not only about scoring.
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 17:08
    This is my concern as well. Rather than Prince, I think Wade and Paul are out of place. Why do we need that many guards? What is that three point guards and three shooting guards? I would gladly give up Wade or Paul for Tyson Chandler.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 17:12
    Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
    I think it's cheap to put professionals in an amateur competition.
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 17:15
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Why isn't there a single Celtic on the team?
    Because they have been building the team a long time before the 2008 Finals and none of the Celtics made the cut. Anyways, compare the USA starters to the Celtics starters.

PG - Jason Kidd, Rajon Rondo Adv. USA
    SG - Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen Adv. USA
    SF - LeBron James, Paul Pierce Adv. USA
    PF - Carmelo Anthony, KG Adv. Celtics
    C - Dwight Howard, Kendrick Perkins Adv. USA
  11. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 17:20
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    However, Wade is coming off a knee injury and I'm not convinced Kobe is a great teammate.
    Yea, I am skeptical about Wade too, but about Kobe, apparently you didn't watch the FIBAs Americas tournament last year, Kobe sacrificed his offense and focused solely on defending the opposing team's best man. So yes, he is a good teammate. Expect a lot of Kobe to LeBron alley oops this August.
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 17:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I think it's cheap to put professionals in an amateur competition.
    What do you mean an amateur competition? Are you saying that other nations don't have professionals on their teams?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 17:24
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    What do you mean an amateur competition? Are you saying that other nations don't have professionals on their teams?
    Never mind, I don't know much about the issue. It looks like the amateur only ideal might have been a bad one and was dropped in 1970.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 18:26
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    This is my concern as well. Rather than Prince, I think Wade and Paul are out of place. Why do we need that many guards? What is that three point guards and three shooting guards? I would gladly give up Wade or Paul for Tyson Chandler.
    Don't start this BS again. There's no way Paul could be left off the team if he wanted to play. And Wade is a much better player than Prince who won't play if the games are on the line. Tyson Chandler would have been a good pick over Prince.

How do you Laker feel about Kobe's decision to have surgery AFTER the Olympics which will probably mean he'll miss the start of the Laker season?
  15. cube# 6484
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 18:27
    Prince is on the team because we need great perimeter defenders and he is one of the best. International big men shoot really well (as opposed to banging down low) and thus we need more 4's to cover them. Duncan was on the team in 2004 and he was at a disadvantage. This team has been upgraded with shooters (Redd) and defenders (Prince), and is loaded at point (Kidd, Paul, and Williams). If they don't win gold we never will.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree