Moves
    13 Oct '13 23:43
    How bout them patriots?

What a comeback.
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    15 Oct '13 20:56
    It was a hell of a finish. And it's great, too. I want all NFC teams with the top records to lose. The 49ers are jockeying for playoff spots.

The Colts did us a huge favor by beating the Seahawks. How do you think the Hawks will fare against the Cardinals on Thursday? I think the Cardinals have a good chance to pull this one off. They have an amazing defense and they are playing at home. The Seahawks are much weaker on the road.
  3. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    15 Oct '13 23:14
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    It was a hell of a finish. And it's great, too. I want all NFC teams with the top records to lose. The 49ers are jockeying for playoff spots.

The Colts did us a huge favor by beating the Seahawks. How do you think the Hawks will fare against the Cardinals on Thursday? I think the Cardinals have a good chance to pull this one off. They have an amazing defense and they are playing at home. The Seahawks are much weaker on the road.
    The Seahawks have been playing sloppy football lately but they may be getting some key players back. It's tough to call divisional games and the seahawks have lost 7 of their last nine games in Arizona so it should definitely be a great game to watch.

The key for the Cards will be Palmer's play, will he be able to out duel that secondary or will he continue to throw the ball to the wrong team?

The key for the hawks will be their O line, they showed improvement with Max Unger back at center against a pretty comparable d line to the one they'll be facing in Arizona. They also need to fumble a bit less.

I'm not so sure that being away will hamper the Seahawks too much since it will be a night game and the time difference is small but then you factor in the short week and who knows?

Bottom line, the Seahawks are a better team but the Cardinals arent the same woeful team they were when they lost 58-0 a year ago.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 01:39

It would be cool if the Seahawks can lose two in a row.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 01:50
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    It won't be in a row, but I'll take a second loss for them any day.
  6. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 19:56
    Also, I don't have the stats readily available atm but I believe since Pete took the reigns at head coach that the Seahawks have been pretty dominating in Prime Time.
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 21:25
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Also, I don't have the stats readily available atm but I believe since Pete took the reigns at head coach that the Seahawks have been pretty dominating in Prime Time.
    About them not having to travel far... I don't think it's the travel that's the issue. On the road they can't rely on their ridiculous crowd noise, i.e. "The 12th man"

Once again, the Seahawks had a LOSING record on the road last year, yet, they haven't lost at home since 2011.

Also, the Cards tend to give the Hawks problems in AZ.
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 22:331 edit
    About them not having to travel far... I don't think it's the travel that's the issue. On the road they can't rely on their ridiculous crowd noise, i.e. "The 12th man"

Once again, the Seahawks had a LOSING record on the road last year, yet, they haven't lost at home since 2011.

Just stop. Their traveling woes have more to do with their location than it does their home crowd. There are plenty of other loud venues in the league and other teams have great home records like the Saints, Falcons and Patriots but nobody ever talks about that. Its just an excuse by fans who have to play in Seattle because they are an upstart team that hasn't garnered much respect yet.

The Seahawks have been playing sloppy football lately but they may be getting some key players back. It's tough to call divisional games and the seahawks have lost 7 of their last nine games in Arizona so it should definitely be a great game to watch.

They had a losing record on the road and they went 11-5. My team, the Colts who were also 11-5, did one better going .500 on the road as opposed to 3-5 with three of those wins against TEN, KC and JAC.

You're appraisal of the Seahawks has more to do with your homerism for the Niners than it does real facts. Every team has a difference in performance on the road vs at home.
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    17 Oct '13 00:182 edits
    Just stop. Their traveling woes have more to do with their location than it does their home crowd. There are plenty of other loud venues in the league and other teams have great home records like the Saints, Falcons and Patriots but nobody ever talks about that. Its just an excuse by fans who have to play in Seattle because they are an upstart team that hasn't garnered much respect yet.

And um... how many other teams had great home record and a losing record on the road? Zero.

And in this case we're talking about a team with a losing road record that has been undefeated at home since 2011. San Francisco and Oakland are also west coast teams in northern CA, so really their travel is no different than Seattle.

Seattle is big on their "12th man" banners for a reason. You're about the only person on the planet who doesn't acknowledge their enormous homefield advantage, the largest in football.
  10. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 02:561 edit
    And um... how many other teams had great home record and a losing record on the road? Zero.

And in this case we're talking about a team with a losing road record that has been undefeated at home since 2011. San Francisco and Oakland are also west coast teams in northern CA, so really their travel is no different than Seattle.

S ...[text shortened]... the planet who doesn't acknowledge their enormous homefield advantage, the largest in football.
    Yeah right, homer LOL! KC just beat their record for loudest crowd roar and there are plenty of domes out their that probably get louder. They also are in the lower end in terms of seats.

They will also no longer have a losing record on the road since 2011 after this game.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 17:52
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    😛 LOL, my wife is from Arizona and wasted a pick on the Cardinals and I picked the Seahawks. I am 54–39 this year on pics and my wife follows by two games.
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 21:19
    Yeah right, homer LOL! KC just beat their record for loudest crowd roar and there are plenty of domes out their that probably get louder. They also are in the lower end in terms of seats.

They will also no longer have a losing record on the road since 2011 after this game.
    It's always hilarious when someone says something moronic and then types "LOL!"

Homerism is having biased view of your own team. We're debating the magnitude of home field advantage of CLink, which neither of are teams play in.

You are right that for ONE GAME the second loudest stadium beat the record of the first loudest. But how do they compare from game to game on average?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/572126-ranking-all-32-nfl-fan-bases-whos-the-loudest/page/33

1. Seattle Seahawks

As for those domes who "probably" get louder, since CLink is #1 they "probably" don't.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/730035-top-5-toughest-nfl-stadiums-to-play-in/page/7

#1. Qwest Field: Seattle Seahawks
    False Starts: 107 (since 2005—leads the NFL)

Decibel Rating: 112 dB average (137 dB 2005 playoffs—130 dB is a Boeing 747)
  13. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 22:151 edit
    It's always hilarious when someone says something moronic and then types "LOL!"

Homerism is having biased view of your own team. We're debating the magnitude of home field advantage of CLink, which neither of are teams play in.

You are right that for ONE GAME the second loudest stadium beat the record of the first loudest. But how do ...[text shortened]... 5—leads the NFL)

Decibel Rating: 112 dB average (137 dB 2005 playoffs—130 dB is a Boeing 747)
    Everyone knows how niners fans feel about the seahawks. Homer.

You just cited a B/R article which is probably because you couldn't actually find credible evidence to back your claims. How do they know the decibel level avg if they had to bring in a special gadget to measure it for Guinness world records?

False starting isn't an accurate measure of loudness either. Try delay of game penalties which you will find is not lead by clink field.

Edit: BTW 107 false starts is less than one per game. It is a meaningless statistic as it isn't compared to opposing teams avg false starts for those seasons.
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 23:091 edit
    Everyone knows how niners fans feel about the seahawks. Homer.

You just cited a B/R article which is probably because you couldn't actually find credible evidence to back your claims. How do they know the decibel level avg if they had to bring in a special gadget to measure it for Guinness world records?

False starting isn't an accurate measure ...[text shortened]... meaningless statistic as it isn't compared to opposing teams avg false starts for those seasons.
    Ah, yes. The old "your source isn't credible" routine after you post nothing but assumptions and ad hominems.

I mention the incredible crowd noise at Clink and you attempt to counter that by mentioning KC breaking the noise record. You know who's record they broke? The Seahawks, by a whopping (gasp!) 0.9 decibels.

How does that counter my argument about the incredible crowd noise? I then post a link showing facts about average decibel level and false starts and, big surprise "ZMG they're not credible!"

I mention that Seahawks having a LOSING record on the road last year, while going UNDEFEATED at home since 2011. You claim it's because the Seahawks have to travel from Seattle (because a couple extra hours on a plane make a huge difference lol) and yet, San Fransisco and Oakland are unaffected, nor are east coast teams when they have to travel west.

It's official. Indianans really are inbred.
  15. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    18 Oct '13 23:25
    http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/the-seahawks-and-the-nfls-best-home-field-advantage/

A road game in the NFL can be a daunting proposition. Facing a sufficiently amped home crowd, a team has to worry about things they normally wouldn’t at home: snap counts, hearing play calls, and hey, what is that biker-looking gentleman doing with a blown-up picture of my family? Every NFL fan base would like to believe its savage passion is the most intense in the league, but there can’t be 32 best home field advantages. To that end, I set about finding which team’s home field gives them the largest boost.

First, I don’t think it makes sense to attribute the effects of a team’s home field advantage solely to the fans; you can’t separate the noise they make from the environment in which they make it, the stadium. It’s possible that fans in Seattle truly go bananas for the Seahawks, but the stadium’s architecture (or even its PA system) likely contributes at least some part to pumping up the volume at CenturyLink Field. Similarly, Boston fans exhibit plenty of passion and noise at Celtics, Bruins, and Red Sox games. Why should they be so notoriously quiet for the Patriots, unless Gillette Stadium itself (or, I suppose, the commute there) muted them?

For that reason, I centered my analysis on which team’s stadium the combined effect of the building and the fans produces the greatest home field advantage. Instead of using home and away win-loss records, I looked up teams’ point differentials at home and on the road from the time they moved into their current stadium, using the ultra-handy Play Index at Pro Football Reference. (There is considerable evidence that point differentials provide a more reliable measure of team quality than do simple wins and losses.)

Next, I calculated the difference between each team’s point differential at home and on the road, then divided that by the number of seasons the team has occupied its stadium. This gave me the average number of additional points per season provided by a team’s home field advantage. The Chargers have played in what is now Qualcomm Stadium since 1967, but assuming the home field advantage effect it affords has been constant over that time, its per-season average should be as valid as that of Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field, which began hosting NFL play in 2003. Finally, in order to ensure that I had a sufficient sample of games, I omitted teams who moved into a new stadium within the last five seasons, which included the Colts, the Jets, the Giants, and the Cowboys. I also counted the major overhaul to Soldier Field in 2003 as a new stadium, given the way it drastically altered the building’s structure. My results are presented below.

This analysis bears out the conventional wisdom, at least at the extremes: Seattle enjoys the greatest home field advantage in the NFL, and Gillette Stadium ranks at the bottom of the league. Recently, the Ravens have borne out that M&T Bank Stadium is one of the hardest places to play in the country; they currently boast the NFL’s longest home winning streak at 13 games.

It’s surprising to see the Superdome so low, with its at least anecdotal status as one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. The top ten features only three enclosed stadiums, and not necessarily the ones you expect Ford Field, the Edward Jones Dome, and the Metrodome. Again, team quality over this time should have nothing to do with the final outcome, since we’re comparing the same teams’ home and away results.

So what’s the deal with Gillette? As Chris Gasper noted a couple of years ago, the stadium itself is largely to blame: its open-ended architecture doesn’t hold sound well, its location forces everyone to rush for the exits to avoid traffic once the result is assured, and it’s one of the priciest stadiums in the NFL, especially when you factor in transportation costs to get there. Mr. Kraft may be happy with the money the place rakes in, but if he wanted to give an assist to his product on the field, he might consider phasing out the wine-and-cheese folks and drawing a slightly more populist crowd.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree