1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:01
    PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Phillies bullpen coughed up another lead. Then, things really boiled over in the clubhouse after the game. Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a go-ahead homer off Brett Myers in the ninth inning, one of two Myers allowed in the inning, and the San Diego Padres beat Philadelphia 4-3 on Saturday night to hand the slumping Phillies their fourth straight loss.

After the game, Myers got into a shouting match with a reporter and had to be restrained by teammate Pat Burrell. When Myers was asked about the two home runs, he said they were really "just pop ups." A reporter from the Philadelphia Inquirer questioned whether Myers really thought they were pop ups, and Myers got angry. "You're not even a beat reporter, you're a fill-in, you don't know anything about baseball," said Myers, who then called the reporter "retarded."

The Inquirer reporter asked if Myers could spell retarded, and Myers stood up. Burrell then restrained Myers, and Myers refused to speak any further.

------------------------------------

Lulz!
  2. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:291 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Phillies bullpen coughed up another lead. Then, things really boiled over in the clubhouse after the game. Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a go-ahead homer off Brett Myers in the ninth inning, one of two Myers allowed in the inning, and the San Diego Padres beat Philadelphia 4-3 on Saturday night to hand the slumping Phillies the nd Myers refused to speak any further.

------------------------------------

Lulz!
    What are you trying to say? I wouldn't mess with Brett. Bad choice of words, but the reporter was certainly acting as if he was 'ahem' educationally challenged. Anyway, I have a better story here from my newspaper, being I live 15 miles from the Phillies stadium. It seems Burrell's twinky helped save the day. You know why they really call him "Pat the Bat"?

From the Delaware County Daily Times:

Phillies Scoop: Myers knows choice of words was idiotic
    By Dennis Deitch, Of the Times Staff
    PHILADELPHIA — Brett Myers knows he said the wrong thing after Saturday night’s loss to the Padres.

He got into a verbal altercation with a writer that resulted in the two being physically separated, a spat that started to boil over when Myers called the reporter a “retard.”

“I chose my words poorly,” Myers said. “I should’ve called him an idiot. It’s just a word that came out in the heat of the moment. I was a little fired up.

“It was no disrespect to anybody.”

Well, other than the reporter. And although Myers might have regretted the word he used to disparage the writer, he wasn’t about to apologize for the message

“Absolutely not,” Myers said if he wanted to apologize. “If anything, he should come in here and apologize to me.

“The guy put his finger in my face. As a man, people don’t stand for that. I took it as disrespectful.”

For what it’s worth, it seemed that the incident, which had several of Myers’ teammates scrambling to break up the confrontation, had a soothing effect in the clubhouse before Sunday’s 14-2 win. Players laughed while recounting how Pat Burrell tried to pull Myers away from the incident after coming out of the shower, losing his towel in the process.

When it was mentioned that Charlie Manuel’s shouting match with another media member earlier in the season seemed to coincide with the team playing better baseball, Myers welcomed anyone who wanted to give him credit for Sunday’s performance.

“I didn’t even pitch and I helped us win the game,” he said jokingly.
  3. Joined
    27 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 05:48
    I guess Brett Myers was channeling his coach Charlie Manuel with his comments to that reporter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree