1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 17:46
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2939260

China's Yi Jianlian, drafted 6th overall by the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA draft this year is reportedly refusing to play for the Milwaukee Bucks because, get this, Milwaukee is not the "best place for his commercial development".

My God.

He wants to play in a bigger city, with a higher Chinese population where he can get more playing time.

Should players with talent and commodity, be allowed to force the teams that rightfully draft their playing rights to trade them? Does this not undermine the entire draft system? Knowing the player will not perform for a team, his trade value lessens considerably as teams are forced to trade under duress.

In my opinion, this is not fair for anyone, and does little to cast aside the insular stereotype of the Chinese.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 17:51
    Originally posted by darvlay
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2939260

China's Yi Jianlian, drafted 6th overall by the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA draft this year is reportedly refusing to play for the Milwaukee Bucks because, get this, Milwaukee is not the "best place for his commercial development".

My God.

He wants to play in a bigger city, with a higher Chinese pop ...[text shortened]... does little to cast aside the insular stereotype of the Chinese.

What are your thoughts?
    Milwaukee was kind of stupid for drafting the guy. From what I understand, his agent didn't let them talk, didn't let Milwaukee watch his work-outs, and were told he wasn't going to play there.

Athletes shut it down all the time... is it right? Who knows, but why would you draft someone who explicitly said they had zero interest in playing for them?

P-
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 19:491 edit
    These guys are entertainers and part of big business enterprises. This ain't the old days, Darv. Catch up, willya?

You're in a band. You have (hypothetically speaking) the ability to make money in said band. You call the shots where you want to make that money, where you get the best exposure, the right audience for you, etc. You gonna play in some backwater podunk bar or are you gonna play in the city, at the hot spots, where you know the gigs will be steady and so forth?

Know what I mean, Vern?
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 19:59
    Originally posted by eagles54
    These guys are entertainers and part of big business enterprises. This ain't the old days, Darv. Catch up, willya?

You're in a band. You have (hypothetically speaking) the ability to make money in said band. You call the shots where you want to make that money, where you get the best exposure, the right audience for you, etc. You gonna play in some backw ...[text shortened]... the hot spots, where you know the gigs will be steady and so forth?

Know what I mean, Vern?
    I see what you're saying, but at the same time I don't start at the top at the heap. I work my way up, earn a reputation, play crap venues in crap towns for years before having the luxury to pick and choose how I make my keep. How is playing on a sports team any different? These amateurs are untested on a professional level and should not be allowed to command which teams are permitted to draft them and who he'll play for and who he won't. Otherwise, what's the point of entering the draft at all? Just play in China and sign as a free agent when you're eligible. Actions like this undermine the draft and put more power in the hands of people it shouldn't be in - the agents!
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 20:05
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I see what you're saying, but at the same time I don't start at the top at the heap. I work my way up, earn a reputation, play crap venues in crap towns for years before having the luxury to pick and choose how I make my keep. How is playing on a sports team any different? These amateurs are untested on a professional level and should not be allowed to co ...[text shortened]... mine the draft and put more power in the hands of people it shouldn't be in - the agents!
    This is a good point, as the crappy teams are never going to get a future star because new players won't want to play there.

This guy should suck it up, play hard... and perhaps a top-notch team will want him in the future.

P-
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 20:20
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    This is a good point, as the crappy teams are never going to get a future star because new players won't want to play there.

This guy should suck it up, play hard... and perhaps a top-notch team will want him in the future.

P-
    I love how the whole Chinese aspect of it. Not enough Chinese fans in Wisconsin! FFFF OFF! If you want Chinese fans, play in China you chump! Too bad Vancouver didn't have a team anymore, he could've been the Captain in his first year.
  7. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 20:32
    I think you guys have both noticed how sports in general is not like the old days where guys played in a system, worked their way up, paid their dues. It's big entertainment and no matter how we think it should work, the guys with the $$$ think differently. They'll pander to the unproven, they'll overpay for crap talent, they'll vote for more (more is better, right?) franchises for every city.

Don't invest too much heartfelt emotion, particularly loyalty or enthusiam into pro sports. The $$$ men don't give two cents about what you or I want.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree