Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 01 Nov '07 19:08 / 1 edit
    Following on from the other thread how about picking the top 11 of the team you support. Only rule is that you must have seen this player play (either live or live in a tv game as opposed to having read about him in the clubs history books!)

    I have followed spurs since the 70s and this is all time spurs 11:-
    JENNINGS (GK)

    PERRYMAN (RB)
    ROBERTS (CH)
    CAMPBELL (CH)
    HOUGHTON (LB)

    WADDLE (RWM)
    HODDLE (CM)
    ARDILES (CM)
    GINOLA (LWM)

    KLINGSMANN (F)
    LINIKER (F)

    subs
    Clamence -gk
    michael thomas-def
    Gascoine -mid
    peter taylor-mf
    crooks-fw

    (picked thism of the cuff..may change my mind in a few weeks
    )
  2. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    01 Nov '07 19:23
    Good topic! I've been following the Gunners since the mid-90s, so here goes for me:

    LB: Ashley Cole
    CB: Sol Campbell
    CB: Tony Adams
    RB: Kolo Toure (I know he's not really a right back, but I like him. He's in.)

    MF: Patrick Viera
    MF: Cesc Fabregas
    MF: Ray Parlour
    MF: Marc Overmars

    FW: Thierry Henry
    FW: Dennis Bergkamp

    GK: David Seaman

    Subs: Flamini, Van Persie, Silva, Hleb, Pires

    Guys I'd sell to Northwich Albion for a bag of balls: Lehmann, Reyes
  3. 02 Nov '07 16:57
    LB: Irwin
    CB: Vidic
    CB: McGrath
    RB: Neville G

    MF: Keano
    MF: Scholes
    MF: Kanchelskis
    MF: Giggs

    FW: Cantona
    FW: Ruud

    GK: Schmeical
  4. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    02 Nov '07 17:17 / 1 edit
    DF: Carlos Alberto
    DF: Marinho Chagas
    DF: Werner Roth
    DF: Vladislav Zmuda

    MF: Beckenbauer
    MF: Julio Cesar Romero
    MF: Vladislav Bogicevic
    MF: Cruyff

    FW: Chinaglia
    FW: Pele
    FW: Roberto Cabana

    GK: Messing

    On paper it is the best team ever.
  5. 02 Nov '07 17:19
    Great Idea, I've been following Arsenal since the late 70's so here goes for me...
    GK David Seaman
    LB Kenny Sansom
    CH Tony Adams
    CH Kolo Toure
    RB Lee Dixon
    LM Robert Pires
    CM Cesc Fabregas
    CM Liam Brady
    RM David Rocastle
    CF Ian Wright
    CF Thierry Henry

    What a fantastic side full of goals and clean sheets!!!!!!!!
  6. 02 Nov '07 17:29
    Originally posted by dicky
    Great Idea, I've been following Arsenal since the late 70's so here goes for me...
    GK David Seaman
    LB Kenny Sansom
    CH Tony Adams
    CH Kolo Toure
    RB Lee Dixon
    LM Robert Pires
    CM Cesc Fabregas
    CM Liam Brady
    RM David Rocastle
    CF Ian Wright
    CF Thierry Henry

    What a fantastic side full of goals and clean sheets!!!!!!!!
    GK DAVID SEAMAN
    RB LEE DIXON
    CB TONY ADAMS
    CB KOLO TOURE
    LB GALE CLICHY
    RW ROBERT PIRES
    CM PATRICK VIERA
    CM CESC FABREGAS
    CM LW PAUL MERSON
    CF IAN WRIGHT
    CF TIERRY HENRY
    CF
  7. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    02 Nov '07 17:35
    Originally posted by Red Night
    DF: Carlos Alberto
    DF: Marinho Chagas


    On paper it is the best team ever.
    No arguments there.
  8. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    02 Nov '07 17:51
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    No arguments there.
    did you ever see them play?
  9. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    02 Nov '07 17:56
    Originally posted by Red Night
    did you ever see them play?
    I got to see Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff whenI was a youngster. So I didn't see all of the players you listed. But then again, I never got to see the Yankees of the late 50s, either, and I wouldn't argue if someone rated them the best baseball team of all time.
  10. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    02 Nov '07 18:27
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    I got to see Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff whenI was a youngster. So I didn't see all of the players you listed. But then again, I never got to see the Yankees of the late 50s, either, and I wouldn't argue if someone rated them the best baseball team of all time.
    I saw them several times. It was always exciting.

    never saw the 1950 era Yanks either.
  11. 03 Nov '07 11:35
    Originally posted by dicky
    Great Idea, I've been following Arsenal since the late 70's so here goes for me...
    GK David Seaman
    LB Kenny Sansom
    CH Tony Adams
    CH Kolo Toure
    RB Lee Dixon
    LM Robert Pires
    CM Cesc Fabregas
    CM Liam Brady
    RM David Rocastle
    CF Ian Wright
    CF Thierry Henry

    What a fantastic side full of goals and clean sheets!!!!!!!!
    I can't believe you two Gooners have neglected Denis Bergkamp? The bloke has been one of the best imports ever!
  12. 03 Nov '07 11:42
    I've been a Blade since the 74/75 season... here goes...

    1. Alan Kelly

    2.
    3. Tommy Cowan
    4. Tony Kenworthy
    5. Eddie Colquhoun

    6. Alex Sabella
    7. Alan Woodward/Jimmy Johnstone (too tough to call!)
    10. Tony Currie
    11. Geoff Salmons

    8. Keith Edwards
    9. Brian Deane

    subs:
    Oooh Ahhh Bob Booker
    Vinnie Jones
    Bobby Davison (purely for his 2 goals against the Pigs!)
    Colin Morris
    Michael Brown.

    Very difficult to do this by the way!
  13. 03 Nov '07 11:43
    Originally posted by blade68
    I've been a Blade since the 74/75 season... here goes...

    1. Alan Kelly

    2.
    3. Tommy Cowan
    4. Tony Kenworthy
    5. Eddie Colquhoun

    6. Alex Sabella
    7. Alan Woodward/Jimmy Johnstone (too tough to call!)
    10. Tony Currie
    11. Geoff Salmons

    8. Keith Edwards
    9. Brian Deane

    subs:
    Oooh Ahhh Bob Booker
    Vinnie Jones
    Bobby Davison (purely for his 2 goals against the Pigs!)
    Colin Morris
    Michael Brown.

    Very difficult to do this by the way!
    Ooops...

    2. Len Badger.
  14. Standard member boarman
    member 001
    03 Nov '07 12:00
    Spurs73
    Red Night
    Crowley
    Buffalo Bill
    Ragnorak
    Saffa73
    Trevor33
    Boarman
    Tirau Dan
    Blade68
    Frank Burns

    one of my favourite teams from RHP
  15. 03 Nov '07 12:03
    Originally posted by blade68
    I've been a Blade since the 74/75 season... here goes...

    1. Alan Kelly

    2.
    3. Tommy Cowan
    4. Tony Kenworthy
    5. Eddie Colquhoun

    6. Alex Sabella
    7. Alan Woodward/Jimmy Johnstone (too tough to call!)
    10. Tony Currie
    11. Geoff Salmons

    8. Keith Edwards
    9. Brian Deane

    subs:
    Oooh Ahhh Bob Booker
    Vinnie Jones
    Bobby Davison (purely for his 2 goals against the Pigs!)
    Colin Morris
    Michael Brown.

    Very difficult to do this by the way!
    i remember alan woodword...he was a legend... i still got bubble gum cards with him on it in the united shirt..

    on another point i only remember Currie playing for leeds united... just cannt recall him playing for sheff.Utd.. when was that in the 60s?