Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. 22 Nov '05 17:03
    Something of a milestone reaching 1,000 tournaments. Let's hope Russ has something special in mind!
  2. 23 Nov '05 04:37
    We still have about 2 months until this happens, judging from the rate of tournament starts over the last 110.
  3. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    23 Nov '05 05:39
    The millenium face off. 1000 players, one big group, 1/7 T/o
  4. Donation Quirine
    Tovenaar
    23 Nov '05 15:30
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    The millenium face off. 1000 players, one big group, 1/7 T/o
    that are 999000 games :-)
  5. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    23 Nov '05 17:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Quirine
    that are 999000 games :-)
    You're right, perhaps a 1/14 T/O would be better

    EDIT: Actually, it's only 1998 games
  6. Donation Anthem On Vacation
    The Ferocious Camel
    23 Nov '05 17:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    it's only 1998 games
    1998 per person, 999,000 total

    Edit: and 999,000 is about 2/3 of the total games that have been played at RHP.
  7. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    23 Nov '05 17:34
    Originally posted by Anthem
    1998 per person, 999,000 total

    Edit: and 999,000 is about 2/3 of the total games that have been played at RHP.
    I'm sorry, your point is...?
  8. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    23 Nov '05 20:32 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    I'm sorry, your point is...?
    I remember Russ saying something about a slowdown when starting big group tournaments (2005 Championship etc.). I'd hate to think what would happen if he tried to start almost a million games at once.

    Oh god imagine the MAP of the month totals.
  9. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    23 Nov '05 20:45
    And an increase of twenty rotating stars a day, probably...
  10. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    25 Nov '05 16:06
    SO LETS DO IT THEN!!! I'm in.....not
  11. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    18 Jan '06 17:14
    ONLY three tourneys to reach the magic number.

    A really BIG tourney would be the thing to do, but I fear after the Site championship started a lot of people are deep in games still.
  12. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    18 Jan '06 17:31
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    ONLY three tourneys to reach the magic number.
    I count seven (7).
    I think this tournament comes a bit too fast after the championship too to make it a big one. What other special things can be done with a tournament like this? An unrated tournament where the lower rated players can have a piece advantage against higher rated players? Say, a queen up when playing someone 800 higher than you, a rook up when playing someone 500 higher than you, something like that?
  13. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    18 Jan '06 17:38
    Originally posted by Aiko
    I count seven (7).
    I think this tournament comes a bit too fast after the championship too to make it a big one. What other special things can be done with a tournament like this? An unrated tournament where the lower rated players can have a piece advantage against higher rated players? Say, a queen up when playing someone 800 higher than you, a rook up when playing someone 500 higher than you, something like that?
    That would be awesome.
  14. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    18 Jan '06 18:08
    Originally posted by Aiko
    I count seven (7).

    I am arithmetically challenged as it seems


    I think this tournament comes a bit too fast after the championship too to make it a big one. What other special things can be done with a tournament like this? An unrated tournament where the lower rated players can have a piece advantage against higher rated players? Say, a queen ...[text shortened]... g like that?


    I like this very much, but think it can't be automated enough for a tournament.
  15. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    18 Jan '06 21:11
    Originally posted by Anthem
    1998 per person, 999,000 total

    Edit: and 999,000 is about 2/3 of the total games that have been played at RHP.
    You mean 999 per person, 999,000 total...

    ooooooh, no wait, one white game and one black game... so 1998 per person... 1,998,000 total