1. Joined
    04 Nov '02
    Moves
    04 Mar '03 14:20
    only a couple games still incomplete, but it looks like the group winners have all been determined. looking forward to the next round!

🙂
  2. Joined
    29 Nov '01
    Moves
    16 Mar '03 17:22
    Originally posted by Kernunos
    I agree that it would be nice if some of the lesser rated players could
    progress beyond the first round. So how about we extend the
    tournament by instigating 4 rounds:

The top two from each group in round 1 go through to Round 2.

Round 2 has 10 groups of 5, the top two going through to round 3.

Round 3 has 2 groups of 5, the top two going thro ...[text shortened]... d 4.

Round 4 has a single group of four players, winner takes all.

Just a thought,

Rich
    It's not a bad idea; however, any changes should be implemented only in future tournaments. One should NEVER change a tournament in progress, as rules (the foundation for the tournament) where established at the start, which is where they belong.
  3. Joined
    29 Nov '01
    Moves
    16 Mar '03 18:11
    Originally posted by latex bishop
    I agree. I think more people will enter the tournaments if they think
    they have a greater chance of staying in it longer. No one like to
    loose, and with the way the groups are set up it is quite obvious who
    should win them. The only things that can throw a spanner in the
    works are timeouts and newer players who do not have a rating level
    to th ...[text shortened]... can
    enter a tournament where only the winner of the froup goes through.

Cheers

Andrew
    The idea of having more than the winner of a section advance is not new, of course. In postal chess (correspondence chess) it is quite common for the top two finishers to advance when the section size is large. As example, when I played in the 4th US Correspondence Chess Championship in the early 80's our preliminary round was a 14 player section, so permitting the top two to advance was appropriate. I, personally, would not be for this in small sections, but Russ and Chris could go for it to keep the participation rate high. The problem with doing that, however, is new tournament offering might slow down, since many would all ready be in a tournament started some time ago. Those waiting for a new tournament might have to wait longer.

In my view, it is much better to have larger sections when the tournament size is large - example is the 128 player tournaments - and let the top two advance (or all those tied for top two positions). This would reduce the number of sections necessary to complete the tournament, and would permit new tournaments to start more often, thus permitting players waiting for new tournaments to jump in again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree