Originally posted by Chess Slayer
Thought it would be better for a new thread (...)
So, a little late, but still in time, let's go for...
The 2005 Championship 1st Round Analysis Group by Group - Part 2: Groups 11 to 19.
The favorites. Who has fulfilled their favoritism. Who did not and why they didn't.
- Another place for common players. lucifershammer (1505, 1570 at Jan 3rd), RebelRouser (1213, 1553 at Jan 3rd), Kresten (1673, 1542 at Jan 3rd), and hooptroop (1714, 1506 at Jan 3rd) were the group favorites.
But other players also performed an important role to the group final result: SeaHag (1298, 1479 at Jan 3rd), Vegar (1594, 1430 at Jan 3rd), ZorroRojo (1274, 1403 at Jan 3rd), ThePenguin (1362, 1370 at Jan 3rd), AndyGates1979 (1272, 1181 at Jan 3rd), and cevans (1299, 1153 at Jan 3rd).
Against those other players:
a) lucifershammer, as white, lost for AndyGates1979 (Game 871635
) and had draws with SeaHag (Game 871709
) and ThePenguin (Game 871701
), losing 7 points;
b) RebelRouser lost both games for Vegar (Game 871784
& Game 871772
) and ThePenguin (Game 871773
& Game 871640
), and, as black, also lost for ZorroRojo (Game 871760
) and SeaHag (Game 871748
), losing 18 points;
c) Kresten, as white, lost for Vegar (Game 871699
), and, as black, lost for ZorroRojo (Game 871754
), ThePenguin (Game 871633
), and cevans (Game 871635
), losing 12 points; and finally
d) hooptroop, as black, lost only for ZorroRojo (Game 871756
), losing just 3 points.
So, against opponents out of the group favorites, hooptroop had the best performance.
Between the group favorites:
a) lucifershammer, as white, defeated Kresten (Game 871706
) and lost for RebelRouser (Game 871712
) and hooptroop (Game 871707
), and, as black, he lost all games (Game 871779
, Game 871694
& Game 871719
), scoring only 3 points of 18 possible;
b) RebelRouser, as white, beaten Kresten (Game 871778
) and lucifershammer (Game 871779
), and lost for hooptroop (Game 871780
), as black, he won lucifershammer (Game 871712
) and lost for Kresten (Game 871700
) and hooptroop (Game 871724
), gaining 9 points;
c) Kresten, as white, subdued lucifershammer (Game 871694
) and RebelRouser (Game 871700
), but lost for hooptroop (Game 8717695
), and, as black, the same, victories against lucifershammer (Game 871706
) and RebelRouser (Game 871778
) and defeat versus hooptroop (Game 871718
), obtaining 12 points; and
d) hooptroop has won all his games as white (Game 871719
, Game 871724
& Game 871718
, and, as black, (Game 871695
, Game 871707
& Game 871780
), achieving the 18 possible points and positioning himself out of reach of all his immediate opponents.
This way, hooptroop, the least of the group favorites, progressed alone.
He stands the Iceland flag.
- Baca (2235, 2089 at Jan 3rd) was the group top player and hadn't no adversaries. He crushed all his opponents, just like IronMan31, Quirine, nicohuyboom and Duhian, scoring 66 points.
Baca stands the Slovakia flag.
- Strange group. Full of surprises. Darfius (1669, 1622 at Jan 3rd), trumpi (1153, 1548 at Jan 3rd) and iamatiger (1570, 1538 at Jan 3rd) were the favorites, but we can't forget UncleAdam (778, 793 at Jan 3rd), who was the bet of important RHP players
The strangest behave of the tournament can be found in this group. Cheshire Cat (1557, 1016 at Jan 3rd), who used to be a 1500+ player before Christmas, resigned all his 2005 Championship games at the 1st move.
Between the group top player, a tough fight: Darfius has won both games as white (Game 872047
& Game 872042
)and, as black, lost for trumpi (Game 872026
), achieving 9 points of 12 possible; trumpi was the worst from them, losing both games for iamatiger (Game 872020
& Game 871969
), and, as black, lost for Darfius (Game 872047
), obtaining only 3 points; halfway, iamatiger, defeated trumpi and lost both games for Darfius, scoring 6 points.
But, galloping aside, there was GauravV (1835, 1042 at Jan 3rd), who used to be a 1600/1700 player last year, winning all his games, except two draws with Darfius (Game 872047
) and trumpi (Game 872047
), and progressing alone for the group favorites deception.
Of course, due to his history in RHP, GauravV had to be listed between the favorites as Cheshire Cat. But his low rating at the tournament start may made him something invisible for his opponents. was it just a coincidence? Or a well elaborated strategy?
GauravV stands the India flag.
- One more group for common players. Maybe, the best group for common players.
The group top player was Lazerblue (1216, 1465 at Jan 3rd), the lower rated between all groups top players.
Lazerblue was close followed by cantspell (1622, 1456 at Jan 3rd) and they had tied their match, one win for each one as black.
Actually, playing as black, they won all their games. But, playing as white, cantspell, in the board Game 872118
, also lost for bzartman1 (1253, 1303 at Jan 3rd). And Lazerblue had a draw with DTH (1369, 1354 at Jan 3rd) in the board Game 872049
, lost for rutmans (1496, 1368 at Jan 3rd) in the board Game 872052
, and lost for 4everknight (1239, 1267 at Jan 3rd) in the board Game 872053
So, cantspell progressed alone. He stands the UK flag.
- This group wasn't an easy one. SteveC (1654, 1971 at Jan 3rd) was the group top player, 109 points ahead from ivanhoe (1950, 1862 at Jan 3rd), and 178 poinst ahead from David G (1874, 1793 at Jan 3rd).
Between those players, three ties: SteveC versus ivanhoe, one win as white for each one (Game 872236
& Game 872185
); SteveC versus David G, one win as black for each side (Game 872207
& Game 872238
); and ivanhoe against David G, one win as white for each (Game 872182
& Game 872203
Aside those games, David G, in the board Game 872205
, lost one more for flexmore (1735, 1499 at Jan 3rd), and ivanhoe had a draw with the same flexmore in the board Game 872214
SteveC didn't lost points for another players and progressed alone.
SteveC stands the Angola flag, but I doubt he's an Angolan, I think that he's an American or an Englishman. Does any one know the truth?
- Perrys (2128), a rising RHP player, started the tournament scoring only 1688 rating points, just enough to be pointed as the group favorite.
He didn't give no chances for his opponents in the 2005 Championship 1st Round, and, as IronMan31, Quirine, nicohuyboom, Duhian and Baca, won all his games.
Today he's in the Player Tables 2nd page and is the 12th higher rated player in the 2nd round.
Perrys stands the UK flag.
- No surprises here. The group top player, and favorite, cbd (1929, 2119 at Jan 3rd)) won all his games, just like, IronMan31, Quirine, nicohuyboom, Duhian, Baca and Perrys.
- When the 2005 Championship has started, harrinpj (1346, 1862 at Jan 3rd) was the group top player and one of its favorites with Siskin (1785, 1800 at Jan 3rd).
In their particular fight, harrinpj won both games from Siskin (Game 872593
& Game 872644
) and, as IronMan31, Quirine, nicohuyboom, Duhian, Baca, Perrys and cbd, also won all his games.
He doesn't stand a country flag.
- LightSoul (1739, 1757 at Jan 3rd) and sergen1976 (1667, 1657 at Jan 3rd)) were the group favorites.
In their immediate contest, a tie, one win as white for each one (Game 872803
& Game 872782
In the other games, sergen1976, in the board Game 872714
, had a draw with msondgroth (940, 1213 at Jan 3rd) and LightSoul lost for Starrman (1319, 1277 at Jan 3rd) in the board Game 872804
This way, sergen1976 progressed alone. He stands the Russia flag.