1. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 11:03
    I entered a tournament with a 21 day timeout allowance. Most of us played our moves well within the time allowed, but there are others who seem to be intent on taking the full 21 days per move. I know that the timeout is clearly stated, and I entered the tournament knowing the format, but, come on, does anyone REALLY need to take so long to make a move in a game of chess??
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 13:25
    So this isn't about zombies?
  3. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 13:38
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So this isn't about zombies?
    Zombies?
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 14:01
    21 days goes by pretty quickly when you're a zombie. They just don't have the same metabolic capacity as the living. They do like chess though, as it's a brainy game, and zombies like brains.

SURVIVAL TIP: If your opponent asks for a piece of your mind, do NOT say, "sure".
  5. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 14:13
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    21 days goes by pretty quickly when you're a zombie. They just don't have the same metabolic capacity as the living. They do like chess though, as it's a brainy game, and zombies like brains.

SURVIVAL TIP: If your opponent asks for a piece of your mind, do NOT say, "sure".
    It's always those who can least afford it that give the most... can't say I get the "zombie" reference, though.
  6. Here
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 14:58
    Originally posted by acb123
    I entered a tournament with a 21 day timeout allowance. Most of us played our moves well within the time allowed, but there are others who seem to be intent on taking the full 21 days per move. I know that the timeout is clearly stated, and I entered the tournament knowing the format, but, come on, does anyone REALLY need to take so long to make a move in a game of chess??
    I think I know the player you are on about
    But if you look on his/her profile it says that they only move every few days
    And that they have 60 games on the go not the 4 that you have
    Dont worry about it take on more gams yourself and you wont notice it
  7. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 15:09
    Originally posted by padger
    I think I know the player you are on about
    But if you look on his/her profile it says that they only move every few days
    And that they have 60 games on the go not the 4 that you have
    Dont worry about it take on more gams yourself and you wont notice it
    Thanks. I think you must be correct. I think your solution to the problem is not for me, however. I can barely cope with a dozen games. I don't think I will be entering any more tournaments with this format in future. As you say, it is obviously designed for players who enjoy a fuller gameload.
  8. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 21:10
    It's always those who can least afford it that give the most... can't say I get the "zombie" reference, though.
    There is a zombie movie called 28 days later - that was probably the joke, but he is not English so his humour is not always proper.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 23:32
    I guess the simple blunt answer is that if you don't want your opponent to take 21 days a move, don't enter 21 day limit tournaments.

I take 21 days in some tournaments, but i have 50-70 games going on at one anytime, i can't remember the last time i had 0 games waiting. I have games still going i started in April 2008, i ain't in no rush. As the long haul tournaments say 'only for those not in a hurry'.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 08:32
    Here's a good trick - 21-day hardcore tournament, player put up his vacation flag on day 21, and has just blithely gone on with all of his games without risking a timeout loss. I know it's legal, even if it's poor sportsmanship. I'm dragging out my moves to ensure he uses maximum vacation days, but I think that's all I can do about it.
  11. Joined
    18 Mar '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 10:51
    The other day I saw an open invite from a 1300-player for >1800 opposition, with a 21/28 time regime. The comment said 'really deep game'.

That was hilarious. I don't wanna offend anyone , but for such a player there's little difference between having 3 weeks and 3 minutes per move.

Some people just like that slowness, I think, because it has the aura of old time correspondence chess, waiting for weeks for an enveloppe to arrive from Novosibirsk or wherever.
    If you can tell non-chess players you play such games, it must make a pretty serious impression too.

Let everyone have the fun of their choice, but pay attention to make your own choices right.
    I tend to pick time regimes which give me some space for the odd week(end) out, so generally I feel like wanting faster moving opposition too. It's something you have to accept, and expanding the gameload is the obvious answer, yes.
  12. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 15:45
    Originally posted by BartVH
    The other day I saw an open invite from a 1300-player for >1800 opposition, with a 21/28 time regime. The comment said 'really deep game'.

That was hilarious. I don't wanna offend anyone , but for such a player there's little difference between having 3 weeks and 3 minutes per move.

Some people just like that slowness, I think, because it has the aura ...[text shortened]... It's something you have to accept, and expanding the gameload is the obvious answer, yes.
    Yes, I saw that guy. Just the week earlier, I was in ten games with him in various tournaments and he PM'ed me asking for draws in all of the games because his work schedule had increased dramatically.

I actually gave him draws in 2 of the 10 and a couple days later he's in Open Invites soliciting more games. I feel so...used!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree