1. 100$ de l'heure.
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 16:33
    I've probably missed something, but how an octet can be "Mini"?

People who enter must be under 5'6"?
  2. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 23:27
    Originally posted by cubitus
    You raise an interesting point. In the naming convention of Mini, the current tournaments include the first 8 to enter as one group. But then a non-mini octet (what most of them are called, just a straight octet) should allow 16 or 32 to enter before starting and have the whole broken into groups of 8. Winners of round 1 compete in round 2 and so on.

Anybody in favor of a regular octet allowing more than 8 to enter before starting? The non-thematics do seem to fill up fairly quickly. Perhaps a non-mini octet would add a little more spice because when entering, you wouldn't know for sure which 7 entrants you'd be facing in round 1.

Like it? Dislike it?
  3. 100$ de l'heure.
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 17:59
    I like it, but the point is that if we say like 32 to enter, the second round will be a quartet, supposing that the 4 first groups as only one winner... It should be 8 groups of 8 at minimum, to make sure the second round would be also an octet.
  4. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 20:08
    There's never a way to guarantee one winner per round, so even if you said you wanted 64 in a maxi-octet, you could end up with nine or more winners for round 2. It's not unusual for subsequent rounds of one kind of tournament to turn into a different kind, duels to trios, for example.

I actually think 16 for a maxi-octet would be an attractive number. You'd have to get by the first 7 and ideally the two winners of round 1 face off in a duel. Or if you have more than 2 winners, face off in a trio or a quartet.

The banded non-thematic octets typically fill up very quickly. I'd like to see a maxi-octet of 16 banded tried as an experiment to see how well people like it.
  5. The Smoke
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 00:01
    Originally posted by cubitus

People who enter must be under 5'6"?
    I take that 'mini' bit refers to banding, i.e. 50 ratings points band rather than, say, 100 or 200 points..
  6. 100$ de l'heure.
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 12:05
    Originally posted by Renars
    I take that 'mini' bit refers to banding, i.e. 50 ratings points band rather than, say, 100 or 200 points..
    Good point, I think you're right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree