arti

Standard memberRemoved
Tournaments 18 May '09 15:58
  1. Blighty
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:00
    Originally posted by GEOFFREY H
    I have read your replies to those complaining about arti, defending him.
    Your arguments all follow the same logic - he is not breaking any rules so let him continue. Exactly the same defence has been used by Members of Parliament in the UK who were caught extracting large unjustified sums in expenses.
    Who was it said "For evil to flourish it is on ...[text shortened]... e administrators are sitting on their hands, afraid to act.
    Arti should be banned forthwith.
    Discussions in forums can often get heated, but while you may take issue with another poster's viewpoint, you must not resort to personal attacks or abuse. Do not post offensive or inflammatory remarks that stray beyond the bounds of reasoned debate. Calling another poster an "idiot" will leave a post subject to immediate removal.

Quoted from the FAQ's section, surely calling somebody evil for slowing down your play is a worse violation.

Calling for someone to be banned for doing nothing wrong is also bullying - shame on you!
  2. Joined
    24 Mar '08
    Moves
    25 May '09 08:43
    Originally posted by surtism
    Discussions in forums can often get heated, but while you may take issue with another poster's viewpoint, you must not resort to personal attacks or abuse. Do not post offensive or inflammatory remarks that stray beyond the bounds of reasoned debate. Calling another poster an "idiot" will leave a post subject to immediate removal.

Quoted from the FAQ's ...[text shortened]...

Calling for someone to be banned for doing nothing wrong is also bullying - shame on you!
    I have not used abusive language, and who exactly am I "bullying"?
    Atri is entering tournaments all the time while claiming to be on vacation. Clearly he is abusing the system and causing great inconvenience to many people. The question that needs addressing is why no-one in authority has done anything about this deplorable state of affairs.
    I am becoming concerned about the inaction of administators on RHP. A non-subscriber who used appalling language towards me is gaily playing on. I have reported another member for obvious use of a computer and had zero response.
    Come to think of it, are there actually any administrators at all??
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 May '09 09:32
    Just one statement:

Since it is evident that atri is massing up far more games that he will manage, why just don't move in his gamesuntil his vacation is used up, and then move regularly. Probably won't work for the long haul, but the 3/7 games he should surely lose by timeout.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 May '09 10:25
    I have read your replies to those complaining about arti, defending him.
    Your arguments all follow the same logic - he is not breaking any rules so let him continue. Exactly the same defence has been used by Members of Parliament in the UK who were caught extracting large unjustified sums in expenses.
    Who was it said "For evil to flourish it is on ...[text shortened]... e administrators are sitting on their hands, afraid to act.
    Arti should be banned forthwith.
    Of course they all follow the same logic, what site rules are being broken?

Why bring up the analogy you did? There is no comparison.

Who are all the lots of people complaining? Are there even 10 who
    have voiced negative opinions? Most of them are happy as they will get timeout wins if the player is unable to move.

This all started when one person, TerrierJack, moaned about being unwilling to join tournaments because atri was involved and he felt they had too many games on the go and was not moving enough.

Terrier Jack has made only 324 moves this month
    atri has made 6694 moves moves this month

I think that tells us who plays the most chess on the site between these two.

What do we moan at next?

People who join 14/14 tournaments and only move every 14th day?
    People who do no reply to a move you make within 24 hours?
    People who move in other games but not yours?

What do we ask for next?

People who play too few games games to be banned?
    People who make too make too many moves per month to be banned?
    People whose rating rises or falls by more than 200 points in a month too be banned?
    People who don't finish at least 5 games per month get banned?
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 May '09 10:34
    I have not used abusive language, and who exactly am I "bullying"?
    Atri is entering tournaments all the time while claiming to be on vacation. Clearly he is abusing the system and causing great inconvenience to many people. The question that needs addressing is why no-one in authority has done anything about this deplorable state of affairs.
    I am beco ...[text shortened]... er and had zero response.
    Come to think of it, are there actually any administrators at all??
    Explain to me how he is abusing the system?

How is he inconveniencing people? If he doesn't move within the time limits they can time him out. He can extend this (as can all subscribers) by using vacation time. Once that is gone then he will get timed out.

The site admins are User 1 and User 4

Both are currently on vacation and SHOCK, HORROR, WE HAD BETTER CALL FOR HIM TO BE BANNED Chris has his vacation flag up and last moved just over 1 hour ago.
  6. Joined
    24 Mar '08
    Moves
    25 May '09 11:36
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Explain to me how he is abusing the system?

How is he inconveniencing people? If he doesn't move within the time limits they can time him out. He can extend this (as can all subscribers) by using vacation time. Once that is gone then he will get timed out.

The site admins are User 1 and User 4

Both are currently on vacation and [b ...[text shortened]... L FOR HIM TO BE BANNED
    Chris has his vacation flag up and last moved just over 1 hour ago.[/b]
    Could Russ and Chris be the two chaps that founded RHP?
    Are they by any chance friends of yours??
    If so I am beginning to see the light.
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 May '09 12:18
    Could Russ and Chris be the two chaps that founded RHP?
    Are they by any chance friends of yours??
    If so I am beginning to see the light.
    Yes Russ and Chris are the founders and owners of RHP.

As for friends of mine, I have never met them personally so at presnt that would be a no.

What light are you beginning to see?
  8. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    25 May '09 12:51
    Surely all subscribers should be treated equally?

Why should one subscriber who may retired and have more free time be unable to enter more tournaments because they play a large volume of games?
    All subscribers should be treated equally, I agree. I'm not suggesting that anybody broke site rules here. I am suggesting that site rules should be amended to avert rogue actions by players.

As to your theoretical retired player, who is he/she? The top movers in May have just over 10,000 moves for the month and have 300+ games going. The top mover of all time with 485,000 moves (impressive!) has 85 games going. So what real world person do we hurt by implementing the restrictions suggested?

If you're suggesting that there is some theoretical retiree who might at some future point join RHP and who might want to take on a gameload that would require him/her to make one move every 90 seconds for 14+ hours a day, 365 days a year in order to keep up with that gameload and we must not improve the site to protect the privilege of that fictional construct to engage in self-destructive, sedentary behavior, then by all means let's keep things as they are.

You've convinced me, sir. C'mon, who's with us? Protect the rights of the fictional retirees!
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 May '09 14:231 edit
    Originally posted by sbacat
    All subscribers should be treated equally, I agree. I'm not suggesting that anybody broke site rules here. I am suggesting that site rules should be amended to avert rogue actions by players.

As to your theoretical retired player, who is he/she? The top movers in May have just over 10,000 moves for the month and have 300+ games going. The top mover of all 've convinced me, sir. C'mon, who's with us? Protect the rights of the fictional retirees!
    The real world player you impact on is atri!!

Start 2,100 games

Let all the games be 7/7 games

How many moves per day do you need to make to stop these games timing out?

Its a lot less than you think - 300 moves per day, 7 days per week will enable you to play these 2100 games and not timeout.

Make half the games 14/14 and you are playing even less moves per day.

Longer time controls like 28/28 and you could easily play 5600 games and only have to make 200 moves per day or roughly 6,000 per month to stay in control.

Maybe I should give that a try! 😛

If atri reallocated his time to only move in games that it was absolutely necessary to do so I am sure he could prevent the mass timeouts that will inevitably follow.
  10. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    25 May '09 14:26
    The real world player you impact on is atri!!
    OK, now you're catching on. The player we're trying to impact is atri. Ladies and gentleman, a round of applause please!
  11. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    25 May '09 15:143 edits
    Terrier Jack has made only 324 moves this month
    atri has made 6694 moves moves this month
    I think that tells us who plays the most chess on the site between these two.
    I doubt very seriously that I would have set such a pace but I would surely have made more moves if I could have entered the tournaments that he did. I did not because he was. (Incidentally, I have actually been on VACATION part of this month and have never put my flag up - I have continued to move in the games I had without exceeding the time limits.)

I have to add also that the player in question is not just entering tournaments that are 7/7 or 14/14 - he enters every tournament! Even those advertised for the VACATION PHOBIC! And (as I've pointed out many times) in many games he is not moving slowly - he is not moving at all and has no timeout and no timebank left to ever make a move.
  12. Joined
    24 Mar '08
    Moves
    25 May '09 17:26
    Yes Russ and Chris are the founders and owners of RHP.

As for friends of mine, I have never met them personally so at presnt that would be a no.

What light are you beginning to see?
    It is dawning on me that this site is not run by a team of experienced and disinterested professionals, but rather by only 2 people who have a financial interest in keeping members on the books. No wonder they are reluctant to remove members. However this is a misguided and short term approach which does no service to the membership as a whole.
    To give a concrete example: Atri is in a Duel tournament with a supposed quick time limit (which is why I entered it). To date 11 out of 16 first round pairings have been decided; 4 have only one game to go; he has made 5 moves in each of his games. This means that he will shortly be holding up 15 other members who want to move on to the second round but cannot.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 May '09 17:49
    ...To give a concrete example: Atri is in a Duel tournament with a supposed quick time limit (which is why I entered it). To date 11 out of 16 first round pairings have been decided; 4 have only one game to go; he has made 5 moves in each of his games. This means that he will shortly be holding up 15 other members who want to move on to the second round but cannot.
    Yeah, but that's true for any member on vacation. And, although its not universal, the vacation system is supported by a majority of the members (at least it was when voted on and I'm pretty sure you'd see the same thing if we voted again).

This is a seperate issue from Atri, who, as you and others have pointed out, is signing up for matches he clearly has no intention of finishing. Its not totally clear to me that anyone's really being hurt by this behavior (other than his clanmates), but I sure wouldn't want a lot of people doing the same thing - that would make things kind of silly. You sign up for an octet and you win because all seven other players forfeit on time. Bleah....
  14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 May '09 19:451 edit
    It is dawning on me that this site is not run by a team of experienced and disinterested professionals, but rather by only 2 people who have a financial interest in keeping members on the books. No wonder they are reluctant to remove members. However this is a misguided and short term approach which does no service to the membership as a whole.
    To give ...[text shortened]... will shortly be holding up 15 other members who want to move on to the second round but cannot.
    You can tell that you are fairly new here lol

Have you any idea of how my cheating subscribers that have been removed to date? Loads! The site owners obviously don't just look for the money otherwise they would not ban paying subscribers.

They are not afraid to remove even the "best" as the removal of
    User 68295 shows. He was the number 1 player for a long time on the site.

Have you any idea of how many improvements etc have been made to the site over the years?

A quick look at this forum will give you an idea.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/threadlist.php?subject=Announcements&forumid=15

If you feel the management are so shoddy and unprofessional why remain here? Why pay for the so called poor service you feel they provide? 🙄
  15. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    25 May '09 20:14
    Originally posted by Erekose
    but I sure wouldn't want a lot of people doing the same thing - that would make things kind of silly.
    Which is exactly why I brought this issue up. I am not now nor have I ever been against the vacation system. However, it shouldn't take much thought to realize that this guy is abusing the system as it stands (not breaking rules) and while he may be classified as a minor annoyance, 10 guys like him would grind this site to halt. Where I live traffic regulations mandate a minimum speed on the freeways but would you want to drive behind 10 cars blocking every lane going only the minimum speed? Just because something is according to the rules doesn't mean it is wise to do it. The only fixes I have suggested for this problem is to make it harder for someone to do what he is doing and so discourage others from following suit. I don't want to affect how most people use the site because it appears that most people here act with courtesy and consideration for their fellow players. I just want us all protected from someone who has no consideration for others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree